The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Oh, BTW, I bought a Leica Monochrom yesterday…"

…or something to that effect is what I have to tell my wife today...:poke:

Full story: ever since taking advantage of Jono´s generous sharing of MM files to download and play with, I knew that I had to get one sooner or later. And, 3 days before Xmas, I saw that my dealer had got one in stock, so I called and reserved it right away. And yesterday was my first chance to collect it.

And boy, am I glad I finally did! While B/W conversions from the M9 are OK, the MM files are simply in another league! Obviously, lots of people have said the same by now, so I´m a late comer.

Only problem is telling the other half…. Maybe, if I don´t take out the M9 and the MM at the same time, she won´t notice the difference….:rolleyes:

Or, I´ll just lay the blame on Jono... :angel: After all, she can´t go after him with a frying pan...:p

turtle

You'll love it.

I was considering the M240 until I compared the file quality for B&W work.

I now have an A7R so the colour option is covered, but the Monochrom still rules when it comes to B&W. The tonality and pixel level perfection is something I'm just not seeing from any other camera. I had been thinking of selling the MM to free up cash, but I just cant get rid of it.

Enjoy!

D&A

Congrats Per! It's still on my dream "want" list and hoping that a good buy in one comes along one of these days. Good B&W conversions can definitely be derived from the M9, M240 and many other fine color cameras, as I've done so from color files from these cameras files, but when I had a chance to work with the MM, the resulting B&W images in many cases, takes the artistry and versatility to another level. Enjoy!

Dave (D&A)

ashwinrao1

Congrats, Per. You will love it...The files are incredible. Best camera I have used, bar none, in terms of IQ...enjoy the ride, and try out some older lenses...you will be pleasantly surprised....

Rigid 'cron, 90 cron v2, and 35 'cron 8 element are among my favorites, along with the Canon 50 mm f/1.8 LTM, Canon 85 mm f/1.8 LTM, Canon 100 mm f/2 LTM, and the W-Nikkor 35 mm f/1.8 LTM and Nikkor 85 mm f/2 LTM....

Cheap lenses do great, by the way, for example, the Nikkor 135 mm f/3.5 LTM, as below:

Best,
Ashwin

Congrats, Per. You will love it...The files are incredible. Best camera I have used, bar none, in terms of IQ...enjoy the ride, and try out some older lenses...you will be pleasantly surprised....

Rigid 'cron, 90 cron v2, and 35 'cron 8 element are among my favorites, along with the Canon 50 mm f/1.8 LTM, Canon 85 mm f/1.8 LTM, Canon 100 mm f/2 LTM, and the W-Nikkor 35 mm f/1.8 LTM and Nikkor 85 mm f/2 LTM....

Cheap lenses do great, by the way, for example, the Nikkor 135 mm f/3.5 LTM, as below:

Best,
Ashwin
Thank you, Ashwin! Using older optics with the MM is indeed something I look forward to; right now I stay with my most used lenses while learning to handle the files.

Lovely portrait! Perfect demonstration of the beauty of B/W!

algrove

Per
For me having the MM brought me back to my early B&W days and as such it is a joy to use. Congrats on a great choice.

jonoslack

Or, I´ll just lay the blame on Jono... :angel: After all, she can´t go after him with a frying pan...:p
HI Per
Blame me - I had to make the same kind of confession to my wife 6 months after handing the test camera back to Leica . . . . . . . I bought it back again!

Just don't tell her where to find me :angel:

HI Per
Blame me - I had to make the same kind of confession to my wife 6 months after handing the test camera back to Leica . . . . . . . I bought it back again!

Have no fear, Jono…. seriously, she wouldn´t use the frying pan on me either...:thumbup:

Again seriously, while I put no blame on you, it is true that your files did convince me that this was really something far better than any conversions from a colour sensor that I´ve ever seen. So, far from blaming you, I´m grateful!

And no, I haven´t told her yet. Since I bought it Dec 30 2013 and it´s now Jan 1 2014, I can tell her truthfully: "That old one? Have had it since last year if i remember correctly…":LOL:

MaxKißler

Per, you better tell her right away. She'll only get even more mad, if you wait too long. ;)

My girlfriend is already pi**ed that I want to buy an old M2 which is just 1/28th the price of a Monochrom. Girls... :rolleyes:

algrove

HI Per

Jono
Do you carry 3 bodies with you now? Tri-bodies instead of a tri-pod?

Or 1xM and 1xMM? Or other times 2xM and 0xMM?

MaxKißler

Hah, nice try Marc. No I don't even have a car to live out of (oh this is getting depressing :( ). I'm 25, at that age you either have a car or a Leica.
But on the bright side the public transportation system here in Berlin is great and with the M system I'm not lugging around heavy equipment anyway.. ;)

jonoslack

Jono
Do you carry 3 bodies with you now? Tri-bodies instead of a tri-pod?

Or 1xM and 1xMM? Or other times 2xM and 0xMM?
Hi Lou
No - never 3
usually 2xM - sometimes 1xM+1xMM, occasionally 1xE-M1 1xM

. . . . and generally I only use one, and only one lens.

jonoslack

Have no fear, Jono…. seriously, she wouldn´t use the frying pan on me either...:thumbup:
She might use it on me though Per - after all, I'm not bringing home the bacon (so it's not needed for breakfast).
Again seriously, while I put no blame on you, it is true that your files did convince me that this was really something far better than any conversions from a colour sensor that I´ve ever seen. So, far from blaming you, I´m grateful!
I wasn't worried - I don't take myself seriously enough to think I have much influence on what anyone else does (and quite right too!)
And no, I haven´t told her yet. Since I bought it Dec 30 2013 and it´s now Jan 1 2014, I can tell her truthfully: "That old one? Have had it since last year if i remember correctly…":LOL:
Well, my wife would never recognise a new camera (I think in reality, but certainly in principle :) ). So I don't need to get excuses ready.

On the other hand, I do always tell her, and she always tells me when she gets something new and horse related . . . we kind of egg each other on (back to breakfast, I must be hungry!).

all the best

Shashin

I think this is why Leica dropped the number after the M because women learnt to count and it was eating unto sales. They did it for the S too.