The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Drat - New Leica M with shutter problem

faneuil

Just received my M.

Of course it may have to go back..
Getting weird occasional hiccups with shutter mechanism. Seems to fire, but the recock cycle will suddenly become delayed after shutter fires. Sometime shutter fires but 'hiccups' a bit.

Ugh.

Anyone else?

Eric

faneuil

thanks - yes to above. will keep checking it out.
just got that gut feeling that something is off.
will likely return / send to leica.

eric

faneuil

No luck- shutter recock is odd / intermittent. Sometimes quick and smooth, then delayed / weird.

Back to Leica..

Eric

faneuil

OK - bit more info.

think is has something to do with live view.

When in its 'weird' state, pressing LV works BUT I don't hear any shuttter up noise.
IE, I can initiate live view just fine without hearing the shutter slip up.

When camera is back to norma state (often by just changing lens or turning on /off/on) - pressing LV causes a half shutter noise and then image appears (just like it should)

I think when camera is in this odd state it THINKS it is in LV. So I press shutter - release happens and then I think shutter is coming back up. In this state, there is no image on the screen.

No - no EVF attached.

When lens is NOT attached the camera seems to work fine - mostly.

Eric

250swb

Are you sure you aren't filling up the buffer? It isn't very big. Check to see if the red light is flashing when you get your intermittent glitch.

Steve

TimWright

You must make sure battery has a full charge and has time to chafe internal battery in camera. They can act flaky until both are charged.

faneuil

stange - working better tonight.

now - the first exposure shutter release / recock cycle sound just a hair longer than the subsequent shutter release cycle (if pressed right away).

If I wait a few seconds, the first shutter/ release cycle again sound *slightly* longer.

eric

250swb

internal battery? separate battery from the regular battery?
I am a bit confused.

eric
There is an internal battery that runs the clock and internal memory. It needs charging for around 60hrs by leaving the main battery in the camera. It doesn't mean you can't take photographs for 60 hrs, just don't take the main battery out and leave it in the charger overnight before the internal one is charged.

This is unlikely to be the cause of your glitch as while the main battery is in the camera the internal battery does nothing other than charge up, so there is no connection to the shutter etc.

Steve

jaapv

Subscriber Member
It has been reported before that the battery can be flaky in the first couple of cycles.

faneuil

just an update - spent the day with the M. no problems whatsover..

All I can surmise is that at first the camera was alternating between classic and advanced mode metering.

I wonder if the internal battery charge issue *could* have had something to do with it.

At the moment all is well.

One more question - and I don't think this is a problem, as youtube vids of shutter firing sound the same: is the first shuter release/recock cycle supposed to sound ever so slightly longer than immediate subequent shots?
If I wait a few seconds and then reiniate several shots, the first shot/recock again sounds just slightly longer.

thanks all

Eric

ps - HEY look at that. a "focus button". took me quite a while to figure out what the hell the manual was talking about (I come from M6 world..)