The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The People on the Bus - Gallery Show

I will be having my first gallery show this Friday, January 10th, in Chicago, IL, at the Rangefinder Gallery, 300 W. Superior Street, Suite 202 (Tamarkin Camera). There will be an opening reception from 6-9pm. Photos will be on display the 10th through February 13th.

People on the Bus promo video.
People on the Bus Online Portfolio.

Artist Statement

I see my work as documenting a journey; my journey, the journey of others. This ongoing project started with nothing more than an iPhone and has continued through several different cameras. When I began taking pictures of people on the bus and documenting my daily commute, I frequently wondered where the people came from and where they were going, what their stories might be. If I could, I would photograph many moments from their day. But I couldn’t. I was left with captured moments from transient encounters.

In making a photograph, there is the photographer, the subject, and those viewing the results; each with their own story. Photography for me is about storytelling—whether proposing a story, showing a snippet from a larger story or telling the whole story. In this series, I go beyond typical street photography by photographing in a more intimate space, on the bus. Photos are taken from a perspective that draws the viewer into seeing what I saw when the shutter clicked.

Gallery Samples

people on the bus… woman reaching by m. t. sullivan, on Flickr

people on the bus: mother comforts baby while still texting by m. t. sullivan, on Flickr

people on the bus at night… zombie man by m. t. sullivan, on Flickr

Last edited:

seakayaker

Good luck with the show and do hope you have a wonderful turnout to view your photographs on Friday evening!

m_driscoll

I will be having my first gallery show this Friday, January 10th, in Chicago, IL, at the Rangefinder Gallery, 300 W. Superior Street, Suite 202 (Tamarkin Camera). There will be an opening reception from 6-9pm. Photos will be on display the 10th through February 13th.

People on the Bus promo video.

Artist Statement

I see my work as documenting a journey; my journey, the journey of others. This ongoing project started with nothing more than an iPhone and has continued through several different cameras. When I began taking pictures of people on the bus and documenting my daily commute, I frequently wondered where the people came from and where they were going, what their stories might be. If I could, I would photograph many moments from their day. But I couldn’t. I was left with captured moments from transient encounters.

In making a photograph, there is the photographer, the subject, and those viewing the results; each with their own story. Photography for me is about storytelling—whether proposing a story, showing a snippet from a larger story or telling the whole story. In this series, I go beyond typical street photography by photographing in a more intimate space, on the bus. Photos are taken from a perspective that draws the viewer into seeing what I saw when the shutter clicked.
Congratulations! Nice work.

Cheers, Matt

airfrogusmc

I will try and get by to see the show. I couldn't make it tonight but would really like to see the exhibit. Congrats...

Michael: Good luck with the show and thanks for sharing, particularly the linked portfolio. A great compilation with #9, #14 and #21(!) being my personal favorites.