The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M in recording studio shoot and Voigtlander 25

faneuil

shooting an amazing project once in a life time project in studio with musicians.. I have been using my Canon 5dmkIII and Leica M to great results. Favorite lens on the M has been my voigtlanger 25 skopar.
Yes, could have gone with Zeiss ZM, but am really liking the super compact size, fact that I need f/4 5.6 for depth of field anyway and surprisingly sharp results.

Downside? Horrible purple edging, esp frame right.
Of course I went down the internet rabbit hole
Cornerfix does seem like the best option

But -- and I can't quite figure this out -- will an IR cut filter worsen or improve the lateral purple fringing? I know it can improve axial purple fringing.

thanks in advance for the help,
Eric

faneuil

Just downloaded Adobe Flat Field plugin for LR. Will try that too. Anyone had good luck with that pathway?

Eric

Double Negative

Not Available
Cornerfix and Adobe Flat Field plugin are your best options in post. What is the lens coded as (if it is)? You may want to fiddle with that, as it might eliminate the need.

faneuil

tried manually entering code as elmarit 24 asph but didn't help.
sites rec. hand coding as elmar - I may try that to.

yes will try flat field plugin tonight.

thanks. Does Zeiss 25 have as much edge color issues?

eric

faneuil

Had lots of experience coding lenses for M8 and M9 -- just won't work with the M..
not sure what the reason is.

eric

Double Negative

Not Available
Yeah, coding doesn't work out with some lenses. This may just be one of them. Or the M (I can't say as I don't have one).

With the Zeiss 25 I had outstanding results on the M8, and near as I can tell also on the M9 (I didn't shoot it on the M9 as much as I went Leica [glass] shortly after getting it). You can see all of my 2,8/25 ZM shots if you're curious. Fantastic lens on *every* level.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I've used Zeiss ZM 25 on M8, M9, and M240. I manually coded the lens with Elmarit 24 ASPH for M9 and M240 and it works great. No purple edge issues for the copy that I have.

250swb

tried manually entering code as elmarit 24 asph but didn't help.
sites rec. hand coding as elmar - I may try that to.

yes will try flat field plugin tonight.

thanks. Does Zeiss 25 have as much edge color issues?

eric
I don't know about the ZM 25mm, but its the design of the lens that matters not the focal length.

I have a 21mm Skopar that gives purple edges with my M9 whatever it is coded as. On the other hand I have a 21mm f/2.8 ZM Biogon that is perfect coded as a Leica 21mm, no Cornerfix needed at all. However the 21mm f/4.5 ZM Biogon causes real trouble and no code works and Cornerfix is needed. I suspect you'll find a similar variation with the 25mm focal length although there aren't as many to go through to find out if one is better than another.

Steve

D&A

I don't know about the ZM 25mm, but its the design of the lens that matters not the focal length.

I have a 21mm Skopar that gives purple edges with my M9 whatever it is coded as. On the other hand I have a 21mm f/2.8 ZM Biogon that is perfect coded as a Leica 21mm, no Cornerfix needed at all. However the 21mm f/4.5 ZM Biogon causes real trouble and no code works and Cornerfix is needed. I suspect you'll find a similar variation with the 25mm focal length although there aren't as many to go through to find out if one is better than another.

Steve
Steve, if your Zm 21mm f2.8 is working great in terms of no color cast that lens on the M9, the best coding I've come across with regards to eliminating color casts, is by using the Leica 21mm pre asph code. Not sure when you mentioned coding it as a 21mm, whether you meant asph or pre asph Leica 21?

Dave (D&A)

Double Negative

Not Available
The problem lenses are the ones that reach deeply into the body (and thus closest to the sensor)... The light rays are angled too much for the photosites at the periphery of the sensor; thus the off-color(s).