The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica close focusing distances

gooomz

how come most Lecia lens only close focus at .7m?

seems that most dslr's ex nikon/canon lenes can focus much closer normally.

would be nice to be able to get much closer with leica glass.

thanks.

k-hawinkler

Of course, one can do better with a helicoid adapter on a NEX or A7/R or MFT camera.
Clearly one of the disadvantages of the rangefinder approach.

segedi

I find 0.7m to be nice actually, I had some lenses where it was 0.9 or 1 meter even. 0.7 with a 75 or 50mm is nice and about all I want.

But, I do have the Hawk's helicoid adapter and when using it on a NEX 5N, you can get very close. Paired with the Zeiss 25mm it's a macro dream!

MaxKißler

May I ask what it is that you want to photograph at such close distances?
I asked because in my opinion the Leica M system is perfect for people and landscape photography. Both genres where one hardly ever gets closer than 0.7m. At least for me 1m is the right distance for most portraits where I'm being relatively close to my subject.

John Black

Use a Leitz OUFRO with 50mm's and such, or a Leica ELPRO 3 (E55) on a 90 APO. Close focusing with a M-240 (and/or EVF) will be like using a... um... Sony A7(r). DOF is absurdly thin and working distances are like 12-18". Mostly likely not a handheld solution.