The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M with OUFRO and Noctilux

jonoslack

Thank you for the likes - it was really a response to doing the same thing with a Sony A7 and an Olympus E-M1 . . . and then realising I could just as well do it with the M (better actually)!

Knorp

Thank you for the likes - it was really a response to doing the same thing with a Sony A7 and an Olympus E-M1 . . . and then realising I could just as well do it with the M (better actually)!
Hi there Jono,

I tried the 75AA plus OUFRO on the A7R the other day, but great as the EVF may be I found it pretty difficult at f/2.
But in what way is the M better ? Is it the OVF or EVF ?

TIA

Kind regards.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi there Jono,

I tried the 75AA plus OUFRO on the A7R the other day, but great as the EVF may be I found it pretty difficult at f/2.
But in what way is the M better ? Is it the OVF or EVF ?

TIA

Kind regards.
HI Bart
That's a lovely photo - were you using a tripod? As for better - the files from the M are nicer than either the A7 or E-M1, and the EVF is fine for that kind of slow work. There is less lag with the the A7 or E-M1, but this is slow work anyway, and anticipation is more relevant than shutter lag (mind you, I'd say the lag on the A7r is about the same as the M with Live View).

I used the swaying technique for focusing (they're all hand held) - sometimes zoomed in, but usually not. Either that or lay on the ground in the mud :).

all the best

Knorp

HI Bart
That's a lovely photo - were you using a tripod? As for better - the files from the M are nicer than either the A7 or E-M1, and the EVF is fine for that kind of slow work. There is less lag with the the A7 or E-M1, but this is slow work anyway, and anticipation is more relevant than shutter lag (mind you, I'd say the lag on the A7r is about the same as the M with Live View).

I used the swaying technique for focusing (they're all hand held) - sometimes zoomed in, but usually not. Either that or lay on the ground in the mud :).

all the best
No tripod used, Jono. That's why I suppose I found it pretty difficult to get things in focus.
Problem is I'm having a natural swaying all by myself and that sway is not necessarily synchronous to the swaying of my subject ... :eek:
But you're right about the "swaying technique", I picked that up way back in the early years with the M8.

Still, I don't get that lag issue some are complaining about. The shutter release is just vague(ish) IMO, you have basically no idea when you're actually going to fire. Or is it just me ?

Btw, I guess I'm too young to lay in the mud ... :p

Kind regards

jonoslack

No tripod used, Jono. That's why I suppose I found it pretty difficult to get things in focus.
Problem is I'm having a natural swaying all by myself and that sway is not necessarily synchronous to the swaying of my subject ... :eek:
But you're right about the "swaying technique", I picked that up way back in the early years with the M8.

Still, I don't get that lag issue some are complaining about. The shutter release is just vague(ish) IMO, you have basically no idea when you're actually going to fire. Or is it just me ?
Maybe that's my problem with the shutter on the A7r

Btw, I guess I'm too young to lay in the mud ... :p

Kind regards
As you get older you get to know your place in the world :)

jonoslack

Hi There Lou
Well - I'm rather partial to kneeling in the mud myself, it reminds me that I still have knees and they're still working . . . . and that I'm not too proud to make an effort to take a snap!

all the best