The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leitz Apo-Telyt 180mm

Jeffg53

From what I've read here, this looks like a good lens to round out my collection. I often find myself needing longer that the Zeiss 135 for country landscapes. I have found a 3 cam for 699UKL in excellent condition. Mr Puts is a bit vague on the 180s. Any gotchas before I commit?

scott kirkpatrick

Actually Puts is pretty clear and his opinions are reflected in used lens prices. 180 Elmarit-R -- big, heavy, not as good characteristics. Late (I don't know if 3-cam is "late" enough, but rom-chipped for sure) -- lighter, better. 180 Telyt, pretty darned good, also lighter. Finally, the 180 APO-Elmarit-R is off-scale awesome (if you need and use the focal length). The result is that the prices on E-Bay for the APO are awesome and off-scale as well. The Telyt and late Elmarit are probably bargains, in best condition. Note that there is no infinity stop on these. Expect to focus carefully at all distances.

scott

Jeffg53

Thanks Scott, I just reread the Puts info on the 180. It is clear. I suspect that I was suffering research fatigue at the time. It's also interesting that the Telyt is optimised for infinity which is where I will be focusing most of the time. I don't care about wide open performance a lot as a landscape person. Having had a Hasselblad 250SA in the past, the idea of focusing for infinity is not daunting.

The Telyt strikes me as a screaming bargain, by Leica standards, which is why I'm asking if I'm missing something.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The Telyt strikes me as a screaming bargain, by Leica standards, which is why I'm asking if I'm missing something.
Hi Jeff,

I just converted a Leica 180 Apo-Telyt R 3-cam for use on my Df and have been very pleased with the results. It is a bit fiddly to convert as you have to either file (older lenses) and then glue the light baffle into the Leitax mount...mine was damaged and I am using it without the baffle at the present time...no shooting into the sun but otherwise not a great loss of contrast.

Here in Texas one needs length to get a number of shots ... climbing fences is discouraged by landowners and their bulls....

Here are a couple of shots with the Sony ICLE-7R and the 180.

Sony ICLE-7R Leica 180 3.4 Apo-Telyt

Tree Stump and Brush

Trio of Stumps

The JPG conversions here do not begin to show the sharpness and wonderful contrast and acuity the lens renders...very noticeable in the VF but one almost needs live view with magnification to nail the exact focus repeatedly.

And yes these are screaming bargains...the dowdy older sister to the Apo Elmarit R and not very much in vogue at present. But if you need an intermediate telephoto this one is hard to pass up. Light and small it is easily packable within a hip pack.

The Leitax conversion has a chip so that the lens is recognized by the Nikon body.

Regards,

Bob

Jeffg53

Thanks Bob. I have the same problem in Oz of needing to get more reach. I've ordered the lens and Leitax adapter so I hope to be using it soon. The demise of the $A has made it more expensive. It makes me glad that I got my other ones while the dollar was high. Even so, it's a better choice than the APO Elmarit for my wallet.

Thanks for the images. It seems that we both have an affinity for decaying swamps.
Aussie decaying swamp

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Love the picture!

And I do enjoy finding those elements in landscapes that seem more graphic ...
tend to avoid bright green summer days. Never played golf...may be related.

I know you will love the Telyt....not up to the Hasselblad but works in this format.

Regards,

Bob

robsteve

Subscriber
Jeff:

I have owned all the Leica 180mm R lenses. In the end I settled for the 180mm APO Summicron and the 180mm f3.4 APO Telyt.

I shot a comparison of the 180mm f2.8 APO versus the 180mm f3.4 APO and the 2.8 APO was slightly better, especially when used with the extenders, but there was very little advantage to the 2.8 APO if you were shooting both lenses at f5.6 or f8 and without extenders. Pretty well as described by Mr. Puts. At the time I think I paid $500 for the f3.4 and about $2,500 for the 2.8 APO. I decided if I really didn't need three 180mm APO and settled for the 180mm f3.4 when I wanted a light travel lens, the 180mm APO Summicron, when I needed the speed. The 180mm f2.8 APO was sold.

Incidentally, my preference if weight wasn't a concern was to shoot with the 105-280mm when I need a telephoto in the 180mm range. It was also almost as good as the APO lenses, plus combined with the 19mm, 21-35mm, 35-70mm f2.8, I had pretty well everything covered for scenic photos. The 180mm f3.4 would be packed for when I didn't want the weight of the 105-280mm, but still wanted a bit of reach.

Sadly, when I sold the DMR and went to Nikon, I couldn't justify adapting these lenses, as they were all pretty high value lenses and not worth the risk. Some went to members here for use on the new Leica M, and a couple of the more rare lenses went to cinematographers to use on RED cameras.

Jeffg53

Robert,

Many thanks. It's great to get some real world experience. I just paid UKL699 for mine + UKL75 for shipping from Reddot in the UK. That makes your $500 a screaming bargain. The $A has taken a dive so I'm glad that I have finished.

Having just adapted a number of R lenses, I would love to know why you couldn't justify adapting.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Leitz Apo-Elmarit-R 180mm

This one has the advantage of being incredibly sharp corner to corner. I've been using it lately for some studies with lots of texture and a bit of color:

M[240], probably f/5.6

scott

pgmj

While not as cheap, the Vario-Elmar-R 80-200/4 is quite excellent from 100-180mm at all apertures. Fairly small and light weight as well. The mechanics and built in hood make it a joy to use. Pretty much the only zoom I have ever really liked.

Jeffg53

Thanks Scott and Magnus. I should have mine with Leitax mount this week. I have the 28-90 zoom which is excellent but I think I have all that I need now. Mind you, need and want are two quite different things.

baudolino

The Apo Telyt is great at infinity but loses contrast at closer distances; I also found it a bit cool in rendering. This was on a Pentax K-5 with Leitax adapter.

algrove

Sorry, you are right, it is on the Leica Store Miami website where there are lots of R lenses listed.

Godfrey

Actually Puts is pretty clear and his opinions are reflected in used lens prices. 180 Elmarit-R -- big, heavy, not as good characteristics. Late (I don't know if 3-cam is "late" enough, but rom-chipped for sure) -- lighter, better. 180 Telyt, pretty darned good, also lighter. Finally, the 180 APO-Elmarit-R is off-scale awesome (if you need and use the focal length). The result is that the prices on E-Bay for the APO are awesome and off-scale as well. The Telyt and late Elmarit are probably bargains, in best condition. Note that there is no infinity stop on these. Expect to focus carefully at all distances.
I must not be as demanding as Erwin. The monstrously heavy lump of the first series Elmarit-R 180/2.8 produces very nice results to my eyes. It's just that it's very big and heavy. (I should have gone with either the smaller, lighter f/2.8 or the Elmar-R f/4 model.)

I'm sure the late model APOs are just astonishing by comparison, but I haven't used a Leica R lens yet that wasn't at least very very good!

G

Last edited: