The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is this inspired by Leica or Sony?

Double Negative

Not Available
Oddly enough, Hello Kitty is from England. I always thought it was Japanese. Throw in the American bunny and a German camera and you're really cooking. :p

Double Negative

Not Available
I am curious. Can you please point me to your source of information? I always thought she is from Japan!:loco:
I know, right? Apparently there's some controversy:

Hello Kitty's Citizenship Controversy: Is She British or Japanese? | TIME.com

This excerpt from Wikipedia doesn't help and is rather terse...

"Hello Kitty is originally Japanese, "Hello Kitty" refers to the group of related characters, while the main character herself is known as Kitty White (キティ・ホワイト Kiti Howaito?), or affectionately as Kitty-chan (キティちゃん Kiti-chan?). According to the official character profile, she was born in the suburbs of London, England on November 1. Her height is described as five apples and her weight as three apples. She is portrayed as a bright and kind-hearted girl, very close to her twin sister Mimmy. She is good at baking cookies and loves Mama's homemade apple pie. She likes to collect cute things and her favorite subjects in school are English, music and art."

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I know, right? Apparently there's some controversy:

Hello Kitty's Citizenship Controversy: Is She British or Japanese? | TIME.com

This excerpt from Wikipedia doesn't help and is rather terse...

"Hello Kitty is originally Japanese, "Hello Kitty" refers to the group of related characters, while the main character herself is known as Kitty White (キティ・ホワイト Kiti Howaito?), or affectionately as Kitty-chan (キティちゃん Kiti-chan?). According to the official character profile, she was born in the suburbs of London, England on November 1. Her height is described as five apples and her weight as three apples. She is portrayed as a bright and kind-hearted girl, very close to her twin sister Mimmy. She is good at baking cookies and loves Mama's homemade apple pie. She likes to collect cute things and her favorite subjects in school are English, music and art."
This is shocking news, and the whole base of my worldview is shaken to the core. What I thought was a representative from the cradle of modern technology appears to be a cat from some island off the coast of Europe. Although I have been told that an ancient culture has been found on that island (Bloody Mary seems to have been invented there by a woman up north) and that advanced automobiles like the Ford Cortina and the Morris Marina used to be manufactured there, it's highly surprising that a charming and intelligent being like Kitty has survived isolated from what we know as the civilised world for so long :shocked:

PS. The above is of course most likely the reason why we still haven't been able to buy a pink, Limited Edition "Hello Kitty" Leica M. Blame it on the Islanders says I :(