The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrom or M240?

turtle

MM for me too. I'm a 95% B&W shooter and all it took was to compare RAW files to see the clear advantage for the MM in IQ. The extra bells and whistles of the M240 are not important to me, personally, so the decision was simple.

The Monochrom, IMO, still has peerless image quality in FF.

rmueller

I'm so glad Leica wasn't able to deliver the M240 to me within a reasonable time so i canceled the order and got an MM instead. Oh boy, never look back again, always would go for the MM now.
Regards,
Ralf

Robert Campbell

I'm not sure that MM versus M240 is a valid comparison.

Just because you can convert a colour image to B/W doesn't mean that you should or must.

Colour and B/W photography are surely fundamentally different; the one about colours, complementary and contrasting, the other about line, shape etc.

So, which do you prefer? The camera is only a tool, a means to an end.

If you mostly do B/W, go for the MM. If you'd like the occasional colour, what about the Ricoh that can use Leica mount lenses, or the Sony A7R? Or even a Ricoh GRD if you are happy with a fixed focal length.

Hausen

My kit now is MM, Sony RX-1 and M6 Ti for colour. All fits in my favourite crumpler bag. All bases covered:)

Jono might appreciate this. I'm going back to my Kodak 14nx for good light color work, I still prefer the Kodak color to all other dslrs. The MM is my go to, best camera I've ever had.