The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrom or M240?

ericzhu

I enjoy black & white fotos. Still saving $ for leica. Any pro ideas on choosing Monochrom or M240? Thanks.

airfrogusmc

If you are going to shoot B&W only then it should be a no brainer. If you think you need to shoot color and you don't have another color digital camera then the M240.

fotografz

I'm a M Mono shooter … I now only have the MM because I don't shoot much rangefinder color.

For the few color shots I may do when away from home I carry the tiny Sony A7R with a M lens adapter (how well that works depends on which M lenses you have, and may favor).

Personally, I think the M240 is an excellent rangefinder camera but I do not like the color rendering, especially skin tones … and I also think that rendering makes B&W conversions a bit more difficult.

The MM is also a much better high ISO camera for B&W than the M240 … and in most cases even the Sony A7R which is pretty good at high ISO imagery.

- Marc

jonoslack

HI There
Well - I have both, and I use the M240 much more than the Monochrom. I think the black and white conversions with the M240 work much better than with the M9.
Marc and I have different feelings about the colour - he doesn't like the slight IR sensitivity - but I think the colour is fantastic for nature (better than the M9) and that the skin tones are better than the M9 at high ISO (low ISO is a wash).

But - if you're in doubt, the real difference is the camera - the much quieter shutter, shorter lag, water sealing, better battery life, greatly improved rangefinder and high res LCD on the M240 all make it a pleasure to use, and Live view can be useful if you're shooting wide - it also allows you to use R lenses, Contax and many many other fine lenses that you can't on the MM.

I think I'd say that if you almost never shoot colour, and you're mostly shooting people in lowish light, then the MM is worth considering - for any other circumstances, then the M240 is a bit of a no-brainer.

All the best

Hausen

I am asking myself this question now as well. 95% of what I do is B&W, but the fact that the Monochrom is a lot older technology gives me pause. M240 for head and Monochrom for heart?

segedi

but the fact that the Monochrom is a lot older technology gives me pause...
But, the tech is much more advanced than B&W film :D

I sold the M240 and kept the Monochrom. For me, it's that good. The flexibility of the files and the high ISO performance is awesome.

For color, I mostly am plowing through Portra and Provia with an array of film cameras. Or the GXR M mount.

airfrogusmc

Old technology? I have no desire to upgrade from my MM. The prints from MM files are amazing so 18MPs is just fine for me and the MM has to much automation as it is and the high ISO performance is also plenty for what I shoot. If you shoot a lot of B&W then the MM may just be worth it to you.

jmosier01

Owning both cameras, the MM will be with me long after the M240. Just a personal preference. Some say they can get the files of the M240 to look as good as the MM. I just haven't seen it yet. And in print, no way. This is totally subjective on my end of course, but I've been and will always be an MM fan.

ashwinrao1

Great points to everyone. If you want a BW machine like no other, that allows vast freedom and creativity within the spectrum of BW, get the Monochrom. If you want an all rounder that can do color and coverts well to BW, it's the M240. I chose the MM, as I like my M9's colors and limitations, and use other options for low light color shooting...

asiafish

MM here as well. When I want color, I use my Canon or in the future the mint and serviced M5 I just ordered from Sherry Krauter.

MCTuomey

My brain says M240, so I have the MM. My brain says get a Sony A7 for color, but I'm sticking with my M9. Obvious I don't think too convincingly, so I don't think too often.

ashwinrao1

Mike, great stuff. And having the M9 and A7, they have different color signatures, but both work well...THe M9 has that certain clarity, but the A7 has more dynamic range and better low light capacity.

Geoff

MM. The M240 has a lot of good things going for it, but a bit bloated. If you need/want those features, then go for it. However, the MM is a very special machine, and the quality/high iso is just very special. I rented one and was giggling for days after using it. Its charm is quite surprising.

asiafish

The MM is addictive. I love that it was already anachronistic when I bought it, so I will never really feel the need to move on. As long as there are computers and software capable of working with the MM's DNG files and as long as the camera works (available batteries and hopefully no needed repairs), it will be and remain something very special.

I'm sure Leica will eventually release an M240 or M250 Monochrom version with CMOS, but there is magic in that CCD.

Hausen

Got my MM last Friday and feels like I am home, coming back to Leica from my Sony foray. Really happy I chose MM over M240. Just makes sense.