The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M240 and experience with Quantum Qflash

jaknight

I am considering purchasing a SCA adapter and SF58 to go with my multifunction grip. I wondered if anyone in the group has experience with the Quantum Qflash, and if they would recommend its use with the M240. Which flash would serve me better for portraiture, and macro. (I also have a Nikon system, including SB900, SB800 and SB29). Thank you for your advice. John

jaknight

PS - perhaps i should say on and off camera flash, and portraiture / reportage where studio lights may not be used. Thank you, John

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I am considering purchasing a SCA adapter and SF58 to go with my multifunction grip. I wondered if anyone in the group has experience with the Quantum Qflash, and if they would recommend its use with the M240. Which flash would serve me better for portraiture, and macro. (I also have a Nikon system, including SB900, SB800 and SB29). Thank you for your advice. John
Had a couple of Qflash a number of years ago...really a beta version as the add-on unit to control exposure did it poorly...I would think a single Profoto Air TTL will serve you much better than the Q and not that much more expensive.

With the real time feedback with digital you can fine-tune exposure in a couple of exposures...the more light and the more you can tune it the better.

These are portable with the Battpak or other battery system...

Nothing close to the quality of light...Briese, Bron, Profoto....

Bob

stngoldberg

I use quantum flashes and get the job done very conveniently with them.I have three which I mount on light stands and connect to wirelessly. They are light weight easy to transport and reasonably priced
Stanley

fotografz

PS - perhaps i should say on and off camera flash, and portraiture / reportage where studio lights may not be used. Thank you, John
Off-camera Quantums are indistinguishable from a studio strobe to most people depending on who's saying they "may not be used".

The standard Quantum will give you about a stop to a stop and half more light energy over a SB900. To add more output requires the system gets bigger … by then you might as well get a real strobe. The advantage of the Quantum does have over the speed-light is that it is a bare bulb, so the quality of light is nicer.

Consider just starting out just using your Nikon speed-lights.

Paramount Cords has most of the bits you'll need to use a pocket wizards with the flashes.

Minimum cost. Then you can determine where to go from there.

- Marc

jaknight

Bob, Stanley and Marc, thank you for your prompt and helpful responses. This is a great group and your advice is much appreciated. The suggestion of the Profoto is attractive too: i must expand my research. Thank you, John

fotografz

Question: Why do you need a SCA adapter? Doesn't the SF58 TTL work directly on the M240? I have a pair of SF58 speed-lights for my S2, but do not have a M240 … so I wouldn't know.

The M240 multifunction grip gives you a PC port so you can use a TTL flash in the hotshot and still hard-wire a PC cord to a strobe. However, to use any radio transmitter, you'll need a grip bracket so you can mount a radio transmitter on it, and connect it to the multi-function PC port.

The classic mobile set-up is a TTL flash in the hot-shoe for fill, and a battery powered strobe off-camera as the key directional light. I use this mobile set-up 80% of the time.

Canon, Nikon, and Sony have the advantage of what is called "pass-through-TTL" radio systems. The transmitter is mounted in the hot-shoe, then the flash is mounted on top of that, but still retains TTL for that flash. The transmitter then also triggers any flash or strobe with a reciever connected to it. No one makes one of these for Leica.

The absolute ideal set up would be a SF58 in the M240 hot-shoe and a Profoto AIR transmitter on a bracket to fire a Profoto B1 … however, you will not be able to utilize the TTL function of the B1, which currently only Canon users can do, and supposedly Nikon users eventually will also (for your Nikons).

Leica has always been technologically behind in flash utilization.

- Marc