The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summicron 28mm Loose Front Section

xdayv

My 28mm Summicron F2 ASPH had a loose front section after shooting for a couple of days straight... and noticed some loose screws. The front section that holds the filter thread moves clockwise and counter, but it doesn't seem to tighten up either way.

Any DIY solution? Though I don't like to DIY, but there's no Leica repair / store here yet, although there's one opening soon (April), not sure what services they can render and how fast they can fix. Shall I wait? or is there a DIY for this? TIA.

Viramati

This is a common issue with this lens. I have had to tighten the screws on mine a couple of times over the years. You should just need to get a small enough screwdriver to do the job. There are 3 small svrews in front of the aperture ring at the 2, 6 and 10 o'clock positions. You should also check the 4 small screws inside your lens hood that hold it to the mount that clips onto the lens as these also have a tendency to come loose

Last edited:

250swb

Yes, it is the screws that are loose. You need a 1.2mm screwdriver and stop using it until you've tightened them up or you may lose one, or all. Often the front barrel comes loose this way because the lens hood is held to mount and dismount the lens, applying a lot of torque on the three tiny screws. Holding the lens by the main body to mount it often means it never happens again.

Steve

xdayv

David and Steve, thanks for the help. Now the question is, if there's a way to avoid removing the black paint on the screws while tightening them up?

I suspect the cause of the problem (as you mentioned) was my hood when storing it in my bag, it puts the lens in undue pressure while on the move. Next time, I'll avoid the hood?

Last edited:

richardman

Heh, I didn't even think about fixing it myself and just sent it to DAG for a CLA. I now make sure to mount/unmount by gripping the whole body of the lens.

250swb

David and Steve, thanks for the help. Now the question is, if there's a way to avoid removing the black paint on the screws while tightening them up?
Yes, by using the right size screwdriver! They aren't painted anyway, they are anodized like the rest of the lens body so you would need to slip to screw things up, which comes back to the screwdriver, and the person holding it. If you do get a bright spot, and I doubt anybody but yourself would notice as they are small screws, just dab a black permanent marker (of the right size tip) onto the screw head afterwards.

Steve

xdayv

Again, thanks all!

Update: fixed the 28 Cron, just tightened the 3 screws at 2, 6 and 10 o'clock. Keeping the hood in the drybox for now, known to be the culprit. Thank you.