The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summicron R 35mm difference in versions

alajuela

Hello

I am thinking about getting a Summicron 35mm R for my Canon

Can anybody tell me about the different versions, what is recommend?

Also on the 28mm R I found out there is a Ver I and a Ver II. Is there anything good to be said about Ver I or just ignore it and try and find a VER II w/o taking a second mortgage?

Thanks so much for your help

Phil

GDI

My experience with the 35s is limited to a late Elmarit - so i can't help with that comparison. But I have had both a Ver I and Ver II Elmarit 28 and the Ver II is far better than the Ver I.

alajuela

My experience with the 35s is limited to a late Elmarit - so i can't help with that comparison. But I have had both a Ver I and Ver II Elmarit 28 and the Ver II is far better than the Ver I.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am looking to get a couple of R lenses and frankly don't have any experience with them

Thanks again

Phil

Godfrey

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am looking to get a couple of R lenses and frankly don't have any experience with them
Erwin Puts' book, "Leica Lens Compendium", is a good thing to browse when learning about Leica R lenses. The older edition is now available for download, sans graphics, free of charge at
http://www.furnfeather.net/books/pdf/llcforweb.pdf

One thing I've found is that even a "poor" Leica lens is nearly always still an excellent lens...

I bought the Summicron-R 35mm series II recently. A very fine lens, I like it a lot. It renders beautifully on the Sony A7... :)

G

alajuela

Erwin Puts' book, "Leica Lens Compendium", is a good thing to browse when learning about Leica R lenses. The older edition is now available for download, sans graphics, free of charge at
http://www.furnfeather.net/books/pdf/llcforweb.pdf

One thing I've found is that even a "poor" Leica lens is nearly always still an excellent lens...

I bought the Summicron-R 35mm series II recently. A very fine lens, I like it a lot. It renders beautifully on the Sony A7... :)

G
Thank you Godfrey

Thats the type of information I was looking for and also your experiences

Thanks again

Phil