The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting w/ a Digilux 2 today ??

When you consider that even a lower cost modern digital camera today has specs that seem to out perform the Digilux 2, does it have a place as a shooter today?
It is greater then the sum of its parts (specs) ? I've read the posts on the Leica users group, but they're such fan boys of all things Leica one has to wonder how much of what they say is infatuation.

I did some checking into the size of the pixels on the Digilux 2 and a couple of other cameras.
Digilux 2 pixel size 3.4 and 5 megs pixels
Nikon 1 V1 pixel size 3.4 and 10 mega pixels
Nikon 1 V2 pixel size 2.86 and 14 mega pixels

So, does this make the idea of "fat pixels" the same in both the Digilux 2 and the Nikon 1 V1 the same?

Godfrey

If you like shooting with it, if it returns the image qualities you find compelling and you can ignore its weaknesses, sure: go shoot with it.

I still take out my Olympus E-1 every so often. It too is long obsoleted by other cameras I own from the perspective of its specifications, but I still love the photos it makes. (Mine was manufactured in October 2003, which means it's coming up on 11 years old, an ancient in the current digital camera time frame.)

Photography isn't about having the greatest, latest, highest spec equipment. It's about seeing and being able to capture that vision, for yourself or to share, about telling stories, posing questions, or evoking memories you want to keep alive..

G

Gbealnz

I agree, use it, forget whether it is the latest and greatest.
I'm having a blast with an "old" Leica X1, it produces stunning images, and the benefit of the fixed lens is very understated. (contrary to my expectations).
Heck, I even use my old Digilux 4.3, my first digital Leica.
Gary