The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First rangefinder lens for walkaround?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
WATE = Wide Angle Tri Elmar as opposed to the normal 28/35/50 Tri Elmar.

markwon

Everyone, thank you for your thoughtful comments. They have been a great help.

I decided to go with the 28 Elmarit ASPH withe M8 black body. The two were just shipped today from Robert White. The discounts and exchange rate made it a no-brainer.

I'll try and get some photos up once they arrive later in the week!

Mark
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22910881@N08/

helenhill

CONGRATS Mark...

Just wondering with the exchange rate a New m8 runs about $3796.00
Do they apply the 650 pound rebate to the price /$915.00 USD
OR
Do you have to wait for that ?

markwon

Hellen,

I just sent you a pm. But for anyone else, they will charge you the full price then credit you immediately. But the rebate will not be for the full 650. They deduct the VAT to cover their costs then apply 565.22gbp credit. The camera price comes to around $3000 after everything.

Mark

markwon

Just got the M8 and the 28 Elmarit today. I went with the Elmarit for the size and focal length. Still getting used to the rangefinder focusing. Thank you everyone for your comments, they are much appreciated. Here a couple of test shots with the new combo.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Mark,

I like the composition of the first shot a lot with the arc of birds across the frame (I'd probably crop above the clouds but this wasn't really meant to be a photo critique!). As you've doubtless noticed the legendary Leica sharpness is there in spades.

Have fun with your new outfit. It's a keeper.

jonoslack

Hi There
It's worth looking in the UK for secondhand and new lenses with the current exchange rate.
Robert White
It looks like the lens cashback has been extended to the end of feb

for secondhand (and new):
Ffordes

As for lenses - the 28 f2 certainly seems to be the favorite around here, but like the 35 f1.4 it's very VERY expensive, you could get a whole set of Voigtlander lenses for the price. The 28 f2.8 elmarit is tiny - and I love mine, although, again, it's not much discussed around here.

As for the ebay kit - I have both of those lenses - the 28 ultron is big and clunky and I simply don't use it. 90 is just a bit too long (IMHO).

I hear what you're saying about close focusing, and you get a good magnification ratio on the 50 summicron - an excellent lens, which is generally just unconsidered around here - you can also get it fairly cheaply, and it's small. The 75 summicron is second best only to the 90 macro for close focusing, and is one of my favorites - although not so small and cheap!

I've got too many lenses;
Leica 16-18-21 tri-elmar; 28 f2.8; 35 f2; 50 f2; 75 f2; 90 f2.8
Zeiss 25 f2.8 and 50mm f1.5
CV 15mm, 28mm f1.9 ultron

The ones which get used most frequently are:
Zeiss 25 f2.8 (razor sharp, and a lovely focal length on the M8 as it's as wide as you can get without a viewfinder). It's possibly the sharpest lens I've ever owned. The Zeiss 50mm f1.5 sonnar - more controversial, but I love the fact that it's gentle wide open, but quickly becomes razor sharp as you stop down. . . and the Leica 75 summicron.

The little 15mm f4.5 CV heliar is a no-brainer, tiny and cheap as chips, it's also very good.

I would recommend getting small lenses . . .. there are lots of lovely larger lenses - but if you're going to use a big camera . . . .

markwon

Graham thank you for the comments! I'm not too proud of these shots but I am certainly pleased with the drawing of the lens. Indoor shooting has been another story however, especially with AWB.

Jono, thank you for sharing your lens preferences. I am definitely looking into a portrait lens for the future. A friend of mine will loan me several lenses which I will try out for a time before I commit to one. However, when I have some free cash, the CV 15 does seem to be a no-brainer for many M8 users.

Best,

Mark

junglehs

I like the 35/2 asph on the M8. On the M7 the 35/2 asph by day and the 35 lux pre-asph at night for walk around. Hope this helps. Greetings, Al.