The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica's new APS-C Interchangeable lens camera

ashwinrao1

Pictures are up on some is the rumor sites.looks like a nex type design. No EVF :(....looks like it won't hold much for me, but we will have to see how the lenses and interface play out. Could be the right camera for a certain group, and leica's clean/simple design concept could work well....

animefx

If focus peaking is as weak as the M240's then I might have to pass on the adapter for anything manual focus (which is a shame)

16 megapixels at just over $3000? Hmm... This better be pretty damn impressive.

algrove

Yeah, I don't get that "consumer/prosumer" vs "not an enthusiast" distinction. I think they must want to differentiate it from their M and S system as something more for casual shooters/hobbyists, but those are enthusiasts, no? Who knows. Probably intended for a different audience, and I personally will wait to see
1. What is the lens support
2. How is IQ?
3. How fast is AF?
4. What is the quality of the VF (Leica has sorely lagged here).

I have the Fuji X-T1 at the moment as my "other" system, and I don't see this release as trumping it...but time will tell...it will diversify the market for sure...

I am equally curious if Leica will release an M240-P that day....

Ashwin
Ashwin

I can guarantee you I will answer each of your questions on 25 April and not a day sooner. Lou

scott kirkpatrick

From the most recent set of rumors released, I see "comes with an optional viewfinder." Yay! There will be an elegant Olympus VF-4 with "Leica" printed on it and a firmware upgrade to let existing Leica systems use it! And some of us will feel smug about our homely Olympus VF4s until the following month, when Olympus releases its utterly incredible VF6.

scott

bradhusick

Leica could have taken the X body and modified it for interchangeable lenses. I like the knobs on the X - this new camera seems to have dropped most of the knobs.

Ugh.

I am glad I bought the Fuji X-T1. Enjoying it more every day, and using M lenses on it.

Paratom

Leica could have taken the X body and modified it for interchangeable lenses. I like the knobs on the X - this new camera seems to have dropped most of the knobs.

If the image I saw on another website is true then I agree with you - I also like the knobs on the X-series cameras.

250swb

If the pictures are true it really is a low end (big price) 'back up' camera, the sort people buy to use their M lenses with, but then don't. Who is going to take seriously a slippery fat P&S? APSC sensors are two a penny, adapting lenses from one manufactures body to another is commonplace, so where oh where is any sort of innovation or spark?

Steve

mdg137

If the pictures are true it really is a low end (big price) 'back up' camera, the sort people buy to use their M lenses with, but then don't. Who is going to take seriously a slippery fat P&S? APSC sensors are two a penny, adapting lenses from one manufactures body to another is commonplace, so where oh where is any sort of innovation or spark?

Steve
Agreed, if that's the case, in terms of aps-c backup body, A6000 here I come.

Paratom

who needs a apsc backup body for M-lenses. And if I needed one it would be a M8.2.
So I still hope the new system will be an attractive camera/system as an own solution, not as a backup.

Jay Emm

>It's only partially "German." They have a Japanese partner making most of it - and it's not Panasonic.

I was told to anticipate some Sigma partnership on the lens side of this camera (an interesting thought, their latest ART series for DSLR's are getting very positive reviews, so some of those smarts in a new series of lenses for this new camera would be interesting)

mdg137

who needs a apsc backup body for M-lenses. And if I needed one it would be a M8.2.
So I still hope the new system will be an attractive camera/system as an own solution, not as a backup.
As for need of a backup--Anyone who shoots in places/ times where failure of one body means loss of opportunity-- I've been shooting M bodies off and on since the late 80's, and had rangefinders drift, or get knocked out of alignment several times.

In film days, you found out when you processed, too late. With digital, instant feedback means backup can be deployed.

I'm thinking aps-c backup strictly because it's just that-- a backup, a fail safe. I'd rather invest in glass than a duplicate M240 or M9 or MM body. Additionally, an aps-c backup instantly gives you access to longer reach without the need to bring longer lenses-- and the alternative of cropping from an M body image isn't the same.

In terms of the M8, I'm not interested in spending money on a backup that is already to some extent irreparable, when there is a viable, much smaller, alternative that doesn't require IR filters, has better low light performance, higher MP, and is 1/5 the cost. Granted, it wouldn't have the CCD look, but a light, tiny back up body tucked in a side pocket makes much more sense for my style of shooting...

rayyan

I still use my M8s as my primary cameras. Nothing wrong with them, if it is
Images one needs to make.

I just didn't have the underwater housing for them, this time.

As for the new Leica....I shall wait for the inevitable ' fun with ...' thread.

I believe the M8 was ( and is ) the game changer rangefinder.

YMMV.

Paratom

As for need of a backup--Anyone who shoots in places/ times where failure of one body means loss of opportunity-- I've been shooting M bodies off and on since the late 80's, and had rangefinders drift, or get knocked out of alignment several times.

In film days, you found out when you processed, too late. With digital, instant feedback means backup can be deployed.

I'm thinking aps-c backup strictly because it's just that-- a backup, a fail safe. I'd rather invest in glass than a duplicate M240 or M9 or MM body. Additionally, an aps-c backup instantly gives you access to longer reach without the need to bring longer lenses-- and the alternative of cropping from an M body image isn't the same.

In terms of the M8, I'm not interested in spending money on a backup that is already to some extent irreparable, when there is a viable, much smaller, alternative that doesn't require IR filters, has better low light performance, higher MP, and is 1/5 the cost. Granted, it wouldn't have the CCD look, but a light, tiny back up body tucked in a side pocket makes much more sense for my style of shooting...
Yes, sorry, I didnt mean to question that it can make sense for some.
Lately my "backup" for vacation has been a gm1 with the kit zoom and a 17/2.5. It also has the advantage to be much smaller so it is not just backup but also gets used when I want very small camera (for example when riding the bike or going x-country ski).
I have tried using M-lenses on m43 and on Nex cameras but in the end I was never convinced by the handling of such combination and rather use M lenses on the M and native lenses on m43/Nex (ok, I dont own Nex any more).