The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica's new APS-C Interchangeable lens camera

scott kirkpatrick

There's a great description of a GAS attack at this link. Will the picture of the new T surrounded by a zillion old M lenses have a similar effect? Jono, are you letting yours go back?

scott

jonoslack

So, price aside... Will it be a big seller? Probably not, but I suspect it will be popular enough. And while the camera isn't for the likes of us, I dare say - it sure is neat. C'mon? Let's not think like photographers for a minute and put ourselves in the target demographic. Touchscreen? WiFi? iOS/Android control? Best of both worlds on lenses; prime and zoom - rather than being forced into a decision like the X cameras. "Only" 16.5MP? Again, for the target demographic - they want pictures to share on social media and to send to relatives. They don't know or care that it's APS-C either. It's better than most compacts that utilize tiny sensors. And it's got a ton of cool, colorful accessories. It matches your svelte MacBook and iPad (grin). Come to think it, they might just sell a buttload... ;)
HI Michael
I think there is a dangerous tendency to divide demographics into 'photographers' who, of course, populate internet forums and read reviews, and 'others' who aren't 'real' photographers.

Although I quite agree, it's aimed at those who are well heeled, and it'll sit nicely next to their Macbook pro, their iPad and on the seat of their BMW cabriolet . . . yes, doctors, architects, business people. . . . Maybe they don't all read photographic forums, but that doesn't mean that they don't know about photography, or that they only use the photos for social media.

But if the image quality is good, and if it's the second non-M to really work well with M lenses (after the Ricoh), then I'd say it was going to sell . . . just not to us . . . except, except, I rather fancy one . . and so does Jorgen . . . and so does Godfrey !

Godfrey

But if the image quality is good, and if it's the second non-M to really work well with M lenses (after the Ricoh), then I'd say it was going to sell . . . just not to us . . . except, except, I rather fancy one . . and so does Jorgen . . . and so does Godfrey !
Love the style. I think it's very pretty and would love to have one on the basis of that. If it does work*as well with my M-mount lenses as the Ricoh GXR does, that might provide a motivation to actually buy one after I sell the Ricoh, the X2, and the M9.

But at the moment I'm feeling no 'buy button anxiety' at all. I really am quite happy with the E-M1 and the A7. And the CL, the Hasselblads, and Polaroids. etc ad nauseam...

G

rayyan

The European football club I support is out of the Champions league.

The English football club I have supported since the
60s is having a bad time.

Maybe it is time for me join the Leica fanboys and get
this latest super duper Leica machine.

Something to boost my spirits and be guaranteed
Superlative images.

And to go with my car, of course.

Terry

I haven't been interested in gear in a long time so I guess I'm do to be intrigued by what I've seen posted so far.

JJB

Overall, I can appreciate the T's well-conceived design elements, and think Leica should be commended for efforts to rethink engineering and materials. :clap:

Obviously, there remain a few issues regarding features, and so it will be interesting to read the hands-on reviews.

* Image stabilization either in-body or in-lens? (apparently no)
* Focus assist for manual-focus lenses, such as magnification and focus peaking? (assume yes)
* Silent or near silent shutter? (not sure)
* Flippable LCD? (apparently not)

According to this post at Leica T (Type 701) - Mirrorless by Leica - Leica Forum Blog , it appears that prices in euros will be (sorry, not sure how to translate into US$ given VAT and market considerations):

body: euro 1,500 (kit with 18-56 stated as euro 2,950)
M adapter: euro 295
Visoflex: euro 450

Blog also states that future lenses available by Jan 2015 will be:

- super vario elmar-T f/3,5–4,5, 11–23 mm ASPH (17–35 mm equiv)

- apo vario elmar-T f/3.5–5.6 55–135 mm ASPH. (80–200 mm equiv)

mmbma

As I mentioned in Jono's thread. I really hope the T lenses can work on M bodies through an adapter. Would love to have that small zoom

Robert Campbell

...Although I quite agree, it's aimed at those who are well heeled, and it'll sit nicely next to their Macbook pro, their iPad and on the seat of their BMW cabriolet . . . yes, doctors, architects, business people. . . . Maybe they don't all read photographic forums, but that doesn't mean that they don't know about photography, or that they only use the photos for social media...
Nearly right, Jono, but not quite: mine is a Saab cabriolet. :D

Godfrey

As I mentioned in Jono's thread. I really hope the T lenses can work on M bodies through an adapter. Would love to have that small zoom
That won't happen, I'm afraid. They're all electronic interface, electro-mechanical aperture control and probably servo-focusing. The M-mount has no facilities to drive these things. The body also has a mount register about 9-10mm shallower than M-mount judging by the M-mount adapter, which makes it impossible to obtain infinity focus if T-mount is adapted to M-mount.

G

Robert Campbell

HI There Robert
I was trying to suck up to BMW users . . . we have two cabriolets . . .

1 is a SAAB 900 turbo S from 1994 (one of the last two delivered in Europe)
2 is my Audi S5

:)
All the best
And I was just gently winding you up...

My Saab is a pedestrian 2004 9-3...and it's automatic (shameface).

Mimaki

I hope they use a similar design and machining process for the next M.
Will we finally get a digital full frame M that is similar in size & weight to M2/M3's? ;)

retow

Ok, I`m the MBP, ipad, iphone, BMW convertible (manual) and M user. The T I`m not so sure about. Aperture, EV, iso, WB are the settings I change often, and preferably before the camera is even on (greetings from the Fuji XT1). With two control wheels only the T will require turning it on first to look at a screen (lcd or EVF) before menu diving and changing settings. I handled the T at a Leica boutique on Saturday, sleek, nice, feels good in the hand, excellent build, reasonably fast AF but slow in use for the reasons mentioned above (and why can`t one turn off that stupid preview). Not a streetshooter`s cam imho. One reviewer nailed it with something like: not the traditional shooters camera. A stick shift/clutch equipped BMW convertible, in contrast, is a joy to drive for the traditionalist:p

jonoslack

And I was just gently winding you up...

My Saab is a pedestrian 2004 9-3...and it's automatic (shameface).
Ah - actually, I really liked the 2004 9-3 (I had one for some years) - finally they got it sorted, just before going bust!

. . . . . and my S5 is automatic too :eek: (in my defence, you can't get it without a DSG box)

dhsimmonds

The Leica T is a great looking piece of kit and desirable for quite a few I am sure of that. However for me, a camera is just a tool to do a job of work.

As wildlife are my main subjects, Leica ceased to provide me with a tool since they dropped the R line and I disposed of my R9 and a bunch of expensive R lenses. Latest digital Leica's have failed to provide me with a fast enough AF, fast long focal length zoom lenses or any pretence at image stabilisation.

Perhaps it is also why I drive a Mitsubishi 4x4!;)

However, both Sony and Olympus can provide me with exactly what I need, at reasonable cost, so I no longer need to aspire to the latest Leica or even change my vehicle!

Oh dear, I just have no ambition! :thumbs:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, Jono warned but I could still not resist - went to the Leica Store Vienna today and handled the T with both lenses and also tried the M adapter.

I was hooked immediately! Cancelled the Fuji XT1 order same second and ordered a black Leica T with zoom, EVF and M adapter. Should arrive late June.

I can only reiterate the warning from Jono, if you want to stay away then don't even touch one :D

Godfrey

Well, Jono warned but I could still not resist - went to the Leica Store Vienna today and handled the T with both lenses and also tried the M adapter.

I was hooked immediately! Cancelled the Fuji XT1 order same second and ordered a black Leica T with zoom, EVF and M adapter. Should arrive late June.

I can only reiterate the warning from Jono, if you want to stay away then don't even touch one :D
"We are so weak."

G