The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica's new APS-C Interchangeable lens camera

jonoslack

body shape is a bit un-sophisticated imo
Hi John
Perhaps, but if it's real it makes a refreshing change from the current batch of 'retro'. In fact, it seems rather odd that whilst everyone else is going retro, Leica seems to be doing industrial chic. We live in terrifying times!

Double Negative

Not Available
Perhaps, but if it's real it makes a refreshing change from the current batch of 'retro'. In fact, it seems rather odd that whilst everyone else is going retro, Leica seems to be doing industrial chic. We live in terrifying times!
Amen, brother Jono! Preach it. This is a forward-looking design, IMO.

John Black

It does not look like the EVF will attach to a M 240. Not surprised, but kind of hoped... Curious about the SF-26 flash, mainly, does it move for a bounce configuration?

lambert

Great design. I'm very tempted but there are three major show-stoppers:

1. No image stabilisation.

2. External EVF. Other than entry level cameras like the NEX 3, all mid to top end mirror-less nowadays have integrated EVF's. I really dislike external EVF's.

3. The price (if true). $3,000 (body only) buys an awful lot of camera nowadays.

Last edited:

Double Negative

Not Available
In concept, etc. I like the camera. It's a Leica, and it's high-end (in terms of machining, optics, etc.) and a lot like Apple products (whom they strive to imitate)... There's a price premium. But we all know that. And seriously, products from both companies are very well designed and executed (well, most of the time). That makes them desirable enough to some. I know I like those aspects in my purchases.

So, price aside... Will it be a big seller? Probably not, but I suspect it will be popular enough. And while the camera isn't for the likes of us, I dare say - it sure is neat. C'mon? Let's not think like photographers for a minute and put ourselves in the target demographic. Touchscreen? WiFi? iOS/Android control? Best of both worlds on lenses; prime and zoom - rather than being forced into a decision like the X cameras. "Only" 16.5MP? Again, for the target demographic - they want pictures to share on social media and to send to relatives. They don't know or care that it's APS-C either. It's better than most compacts that utilize tiny sensors. And it's got a ton of cool, colorful accessories. It matches your svelte MacBook and iPad (grin). Come to think it, they might just sell a buttload... ;)

lambert

Let's not think like photographers for a minute and put ourselves in the target demographic. Touchscreen? WiFi? iOS/Android control? Best of both worlds on lenses; prime and zoom - rather than being forced into a decision like the X cameras. "Only" 16.5MP? Again, for the target demographic - they want pictures to share on social media and to send to relatives. They don't know or care that it's APS-C either. It's better than most compacts that utilize tiny sensors. And it's got a ton of cool, colorful accessories. It matches your svelte MacBook and iPad (grin). Come to think it, they might just sell a buttload... ;)
It this is Leica's target demographic, they will fail big time.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
- Contemporary German design... check
- Will mount zillions of Leica lenses manufactured through the last 8 decades... check
- No piece of wood bolted on... check
- No lizard skin or tiger testicles... check
- No claims of having been to the moon, to Iffesheim or other places where most people won't go to take photos... check
- A seemingly complete range of accessories available from the outset... check
- It's actually a Leica... check

Great work, Leica. This is the way to approach the luxury goods market. If the camera is as good as it looks, I will be very tempted myself :thumbs:

As for design, it's clearly inspired by the work of Dieter Rams, the legendary Chief Design Officer at Braun. Oh... and I think they will sell truckloads of it. Among affluent Germans, this will become a must-have, the perfect complement to a Porsche, a BMW, a Mercedes Benz or an Audi.

lambert

Of course it is. They're going the "luxury good" route to fill the nice boutiques. ;)

The cameras for photographers are the M and S.
The crowd you refer to is more likely to just buying online, something like a Samsung NX300 (APS-C) which looks much the same as the T701 and also incorporates a touch-screen (which tilts) as well as all the other bells and whistles for a fraction of the price.

JWW

The crowd you refer to is more likely to just buying online, something like a Samsung NX300 (APS-C) which looks much the same as the T701 and also incorporates a touch-screen (which tilts) as well as all the other bells and whistles for a fraction of the price.
That's like saying that this crowd will buy a Hyundai or Kia instead of a BMW or Mercedes just because its got 4 wheels and an engine for the fraction of the price.

I think it's interesting. For me personally, no.. but I can see how many people could be tempted.

For me the touch screen kills it, I don't want my camera to turn into a smartphone. Just seems weird fiddling with the screen like that on a camera.

That said, if the price isn't too prohibitive it could sell quite well. Could even work as a backup/carry-along camera for someone shooting with the M, since they can share lenses.

Let's wait and see :)

//Juha

lambert

That's like saying that this crowd will buy a Hyundai or Kia instead of a BMW or Mercedes just because its got 4 wheels and an engine for the fraction of the price.
I'm not sure which crowd you're referring to. The vast majority of people that take photos to post on social media are more than happy with the quality that comes out of their smart phone.