The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica's new APS-C Interchangeable lens camera

Paratom

I could not agree more with Jono! I would really like to see where Leica officially claims that there are no lens corrections done for the T lenses! I never saw this claimed by Leica, but I remember seeing such claims from other non Leica sources on the Interent. As usual :mad:

Who cares if there is software correction or not, as long as you can't see any image quality depreciation in the final image?
I would be worried if there were soft corners or anything lie that, but otherwise...?

Godfrey

Whatever. The question is whether the camera and lenses perform satisfactorily and to expectations. I could care less whether the Leica spokesperson misspoke, or whether the DPR folks heard incorrectly. These lenses are designed for and will never be used on anything but a Leica T, so if the images they make on the Leica T as designed meet expectations the rest is just hooey.

G

Shashin

Just BORING discussion !!!!!!
I do not find it boring. What I find tedious is some member telling other member what can and cannot discuss because they find it uninteresting. Like I said, you can simply ignore it.

jonoslack

I do not find it boring. What I find tedious is some member telling other member what can and cannot discuss because they find it uninteresting. Like I said, you can simply ignore it.
Hi Will
I see your point - but, knowing meetings like this I can see how it could easily have happened.

Perhaps the Leica person was proud that there weren't any corrections in the camera firmware, not thinking about corrections in the DNG instructions . . . . I guess some cameras correct before it's written to the file?

Whatever I just find it hard to believe that they would make a claim which was both unnecessary and really easy to check.

D&A

Jono has an interesting point. In camera corrections vs. Software correction for optical properties of the lenses. I think some may be concerned with software correction since some Raw converters as shown on dpreview don't have the appropriate corrections such as correcting very notable barrel distortion. This means one may be locked into certain software that they don't prefer. On the other hand, in camera correction circumvents this issue to a great extent. Not criticism, just some thoughts regarding the situation .

Dave (D&A)

jonoslack

Has anyone who's tried the camera used the wifi and app to control the camera or offload pictures? I tried to connect camera and my iPad in the Leica store and they didn't see each other. In addition, the folks at the store weren't able to get it to work yet with anyone. Not sure if it is enabled in the firmware they are running, we are doing something wrong or that the functionality doesn't work that great.
Hi Terry
Yes indeed. I really irritated Emma by taking photos of her on my ipad whilst the camera was sitting on a shelf. It certainly worked.

all the best
Jono

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Would we then also want to start discussing lens corrections of the RX1? Or do you find these boring? Everybody who is not completely new to this is aware of lens corrections either in camera or in post with all of today's state of the art cameras in order to achieve good if not optimum results. And it is actually stupid not to apply corrections and do the almost impossible to design the perfect lens which nobody can afford anymore or does want to carry around because of weight. So why discuss these? What would be interesting to discuss would maybe be the algorithms how these files are corrected and the differences which can be achieved, but not that they are applied at all. At least IMHO.

So I find these superficial discussions pretty boring. And yes I want to have open discussions. But about really interesting stuff.

You are free to post whatever you want of course and nobody tells you what to write or not. But having to ignore all repeatedly boring stuff is an exercise not everybody wants to go through - right? Just would prefer to read really interesting stuff.

So up to you ;)

peterv

Wow. in a pre-launch meeting, you first assumption is the people giving the information are simply wrong! And so your are naive for reporting what you are told?
Will, I'm sure lot's of people on the photo-forums would have questioned such a claim, and found out about the truth with just one mouse click. DPR make it sound as if they unmasked Leica.

owWhat is the benefit of DPR libeling a manufacturer? Is that so they can be blackballed by the manufacture? But it does make a pleasant change from bashing DPR as simply stooges for the camera companies. Certainly, it could not have been a mis-communication from Leica...
Surely, that is a possibility. But then they could have consulted Leica once they found out about it, which is good journalistic practice. Things could have been sorted out so easily, without reputation damage for both parties involved.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Careful, kind posters... Decorum please

Sure technology options include optics, sensors, firmware, and software.
Why wouldn't a camera makers use the best tools at their disposal?
Anyway, what matters most is the end result.
-bob

shhh, it is a secret that the famous "Leica glow" is nothing more than uncorrected aberrations. Nonetheless they look pretty good.

Godfrey

The difference with Sony correcting optics on kit lens and Leica is the 10x price difference.
Sorry, but that's just laughable. You expect Leica to not take advantage of the power of software lens correction on their much more expensive lenses? That would be like saying, "The Formula 1 winners will not use aerodynamics to improve their cars' performance because their cars cost more than the Indianaopolis cars." Absolute nonsense.

Any lens designer worth the name today will use post-capture lens correction software whenever possible and apropos because it produces better results.

G

Shashin

Hi Will
I see your point - but, knowing meetings like this I can see how it could easily have happened.

Perhaps the Leica person was proud that there weren't any corrections in the camera firmware, not thinking about corrections in the DNG instructions . . . . I guess some cameras correct before it's written to the file?

Whatever I just find it hard to believe that they would make a claim which was both unnecessary and really easy to check.
Like a few here, I heard that Leica was not using lens correction in the camera. I just thought that was interesting as most companies would rather mix optical and digital techniques. I am not sure where I heard it, but I don't think DPR was imagining it, whether they heard or interpreted it correctly or not.

I did check the Leica site. They do talk about the lens system, but not whether and when they use corrections. That fact they do is not a surprise. But it would have been more interesting if they did not. :)

Last edited:

Shashin

Would we then also want to start discussing lens corrections of the RX1? Or do you find these boring? Everybody who is not completely new to this is aware of lens corrections either in camera or in post with all of today's state of the art cameras in order to achieve good if not optimum results. And it is actually stupid not to apply corrections and do the almost impossible to design the perfect lens which nobody can afford anymore or does want to carry around because of weight. So why discuss these? What would be interesting to discuss would maybe be the algorithms how these files are corrected and the differences which can be achieved, but not that they are applied at all. At least IMHO.

So I find these superficial discussions pretty boring. And yes I want to have open discussions. But about really interesting stuff.

You are free to post whatever you want of course and nobody tells you what to write or not. But having to ignore all repeatedly boring stuff is an exercise not everybody wants to go through - right? Just would prefer to read really interesting stuff.

So up to you ;)
You are right. The idea that Leica would actually make the perfect lens and not use lens corrections is really boring. No one around here ever talks about lens quality, which is odd for a photography forum.

Personally, I find camera technology very interesting. I am sorry it bores you. Perhaps a photography forum is not the right place for you

Godfrey

The statement that Leica did not use lens corrections originated from DPR, no matter where I might have heard it first. The big ballyhoo that they do is all in response to that, which was most likely someone mishearing or misinterpreting something.

As I said before, a tempest in a teapot. Much smoke, no fire. All about something which makes not one iota of difference.

G

Godfrey

You are right. The idea that Leica would actually make the perfect lens and not use lens corrections is really boring. No one around here ever talks about lens quality, which is odd for a photography forum.

Personally, I find camera technology very interesting. I am sorry it bores you. Perhaps a photography forum is not the right place for you
Now Leica must create "perfect" lenses. This gets deeper and sillier by the minute.

G

henningw

The idea that Leica would actually make the perfect lens …
Hmmm… the perfect lens. Assuming a lens even close to perfect could be made (and no, I don't think the Zeiss Otus or Apo Summicron 50 are anywhere near that) I couldn't afford it if I sold my residences and investments. Nor carry it.

Leica, as most companies, makes the best optical systems thay can for the price point that they see for their products, and today that generally includes software at some level. Good on them for producing value (at whatever price point).

I saw DPR's statement when the T was announced, and was surprised. I think someone wasn't paying attention or the info was garbled.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Henning