The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica's new APS-C Interchangeable lens camera

jonoslack

Ask Leica - they said it. This camera is also not an "enthusiast" or "pro" camera, if you want to toss in more adjectives. Doesn't mean a photographer can't or won't use it.
A camera for non-photographers is perhaps a more interesting concept :banghead::LOL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

lambert

I think it's much more important that you fit a fine camera body with a solid, proven sensor, a quiet, vibrationless shutter, and top notch controls that perform beautifully than always push the envelope with the latest fandangled sensor.

- Many could care less about video, or use it only for occasional clip captures. This sensor does fine with that.

- The lack of IS is not an issue for most uses. I haven't missed it a bit with the X2, M9, GXR, or A7, for instance. Having it in the E-M1 is wonderful, for sure. IS has its issues too; many complain that IS cuts the edge off imaging quality. It's a not a panacea, nor does it imply the level of quality of a body. The more expensive Leica M doesn't have it either, and no one's complaining about it far as I've heard.

The only one of your points that I do miss is the lack of automatic sensor cleaning, like the Olympus, Panasonic, and Sony A7 have. But the M9, M, and GXR don't have it either, and to be honest I haven't found its lack a problem at all. That has nothing to do with the sensor, it's a body feature.

So the T is not for you. Such it is. I'm not sure yet that it's for me, but I like it a lot. I also still like my 2003 Olympus E-1...

G
Agreed, this glam cam is not for me :)

Godfrey

camera obscura, perhaps?
However the Leica T might beg description, I doubt it will be 'obscure' given that since its announcement:

- it's been one of the top two popular cameras on DPR.
- the Boring video has gone viral across the internet, with published spoofs in several established venues.
- every person writing in PhotoBlogDumb has taken the moment to weigh in with the Leica Haters, Leica Lovers, Leica FanBoyz, or Leica Agnostic But Had To Say Something Anyway crowds.
- every photo forum regardless of brand affiliation on every social venue has had at least one lengthy and passionately debated thread on the subject of the T.
- the early delivery batch of product seems to have sold out within a week, and most dealers have pre-orders and waiting lists for more sales; this despite EVERYONE saying "darn, that little bugger is expensive!"

Taifun indeed. If I were a member of Leica's product development and marketing teams, I'd be pretty pleased at all the publicity.

(I do know what a camera obscura is... forgive the pun. ;-)

G

"As the stomach churns,
as the Taifun blows,
as the light glows ..."

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's very simple logic:
For the price of a medium advanced Canon or Nikon DSLR (which are manufactured by the millions, so people apparently have that kind of money available), customers will get a stylish, partly handmade, Leica camera that is compact and easy to use. Lenses are expensive, but Leica lenses are legendary, so most of those who can afford them will accept the price. They are cheaper than a Noctilux anyway. I believe this camera pushes the right buttons for many.

The only thing I think they have missed out on is dust removal. There will be dust, and many don't know how to deal with it. IS is useful, but Leica is a conservative bunch and most potential users will use a flash and/or high ISO for the party shots anyway.

If they come up with 3 zooms (and apparently, they will) and 2 primes (a portrait lens too), I'm sure I could live with this as my only camera. I won't, since it's too much money for me, but there are millions of others with sufficient cash to spend.

It's tempting to compare with the Lunar... but I won't ;)

JohnBrew

Since the black version will not be out for several months I'm curious if it is still polished aluminum with black paint cover (or perhaps anodized) or is the polishing not needed with a colored version? If the polishing is not needed would the price reflect this?

peterv

As 45 minutes of this kind of labour probaly costs ~ €20 , I guess Leica will not bother to lower the price of a non-polished black T. Marketing will probably say that amount just covers the black paint :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The black version is not paint, it is anodized and as far as I understand is polished the same way as the silver version - of course hast to be to allow for the same feeling.

The labor costs in Germany (similar to Austria) for a specialized worker like this are at least €100.- per hour including all taxes, insurance, etc. Well some have to pay for the social system .....

And this still does not include machine usage etc.

Double Negative

Not Available
Since the black version will not be out for several months I'm curious if it is still polished aluminum with black paint cover (or perhaps anodized) or is the polishing not needed with a colored version? If the polishing is not needed would the price reflect this?
Black anodized, like the M lenses. Polishing the raw body is the same for either version. Same price.

EDIT: The silver version is also anodized, FYI.

Last edited:

bradhusick

no, we can take all those hours of polishing by hand and then cover it up in a rubber colored jacket.

honestly, i don't get that.

i am sure luigi will come out with some sumptuous leather goodie for it.

bradhusick

thinking more about this, I think it would be stroke of genius if Leica did a special edition of the T made from a solid block of brass, then painted it black. It would then "brass" over time just like classic Leica film bodies. Yummy, huh?

I would even pay extra for that. Brass is about three times heavier, but that's okay. There are about 3.5 ounces of aluminum in the T, so it would be ten ounces of brass.