The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new M240 owner reporting for duty!

So, like said in another thred I pulled a Jono.. took all the new gear back to the stealers and got myself a few months old Leica M Typ 240 in silver chrome + a black Summilux 50 Asph.

Have to say, after having it in my hands for 5 minutes or so.. it feels like coming home!

it is so familiar in how it feels, after being M8/M9 user for past 4 years, but at the same time feels substantially better than before. Probably the increased weight and integrated thumb support play in to this feeling. Also focusing with that summilux feels fantastic. I've only felt that good manual focus feel with Leica and I've tried quite many.

Interesting to see how this saga continues, but for the moment I'm extremely happy!

And naturally the mandatory first pic.. just like people here want it :lecture:

//Juha

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratulations Juha!

I am sure you will enjoy and maybe I should do the same! Although I am not quite there .....

jonoslack

Congratulations from me too Juha
Pulling a Jono eh? I'm not sure if I should be proud or horrified!
I'm sure you'll be very happy together - and yes Peter you certainly should

all the best

Tell you the truth I'm not sure either!

In more than one way I'm horrofied at my own incapability to understand from the beginning that once you go Leica, there's no going back.. on the other hand I'm happy about being able to admit my own faults and for taking the steps to rectify the situation.

Also tremendeously happy about having the M.

One thing for sure though, no bad thoughts signaled towards you Jono from my part.

Also some part of the "pulling a Jono" is that I guess we both were somewhat certain the A7(r) would provide something to complete puzzle. For you make your camera kit complete and for me as a best of both worlds.. small, powerfull with great IQ.

Yet as things stand, after a lot of soul searching, here we are praising the venerable M :)

//Juha

vjr

Me too Juha, after selling my M9P and a 1.4/50 Lux (which I should not have done) and planning to get that Pie in the sky Sony that was then month away I am back to Leica. Dealer here in Perth, Australia advertised Leica gear at better then US prices plus AUD is about 8% less than the USD, so no brainer after rejecting Sony A7r I have ordered Leica M and a 50 Lux. As you saying it is like coming home - to cup of tea in winter’s day.

Paratom

Its just a great camera.
I think my favorite in my GAS collection of gear.
And my fav lens at the moment is the silver 35 Summicron.

Godfrey

Fickle, fickle folks we are. ;-)

I'm just loading up my CL. Still my favorite Leica rangefinder. 40, 90, 21, and 28 mm lenses.

I'd already determined that I'll sell the M9 before the T announcement ... For me, the Sony A7 and Leica R lenses does what I want better: Leica lenses on a good FF sensor. I was always more inclined to prefer a reflex/TTL viewing camera.

I suppose when I sell the X2 and Ricoh GXR, that funds my way to a T with 23/2, use the adapter and the 40, 90 mm lenses on it too, and wait for the wide zoom.

Fickle and weak... =8^0

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Fickle, fickle folks we are. ;-)

I'm just loading up my CL. Still my favorite Leica rangefinder. 40, 90, 21, and 28 mm lenses.

I'd already determined that I'll sell the M9 before the T announcement ... For me, the Sony A7 and Leica R lenses does what I want better: Leica lenses on a good FF sensor. I was always more inclined to prefer a reflex/TTL viewing camera.

I suppose when I sell the X2 and Ricoh GXR, that funds my way to a T with 23/2, use the adapter and the 40, 90 mm lenses on it too, and wait for the wide zoom.

Fickle and weak... =8^0
We are really so weak :D

Similar for me - a big point that I decided for the T was that it also takes M lenses. And the manual focusing just works without magnification - I would say even better than on a Leica M with rangefinder.

This camera (system) seems to be a real winner and I think it could become easily the future mainstream way for Leica.

Will also buy the 2/23 and the wide zoom later ....

rich_

Glad you are enjoying it too. I traded my M9P in for a M240 yesterday.
It's only been a few hours, but the speed of operation is night and day different to before!

I wasn't into the big Red logo, but luckily a shop near me sold a black Leica M240 logo, so I switched that out (and clumsily scratched the front a tiny bit, oh well)

The shop I sold my M9P was horrified to see the abuse that the bottom plate had suffered and how id blacked out the White writing (I don't like advertising expensive gear on my travels), but these things are bought to be used and enjoyed after all!

One upside i discovered was that my Sonnar 1.5 shows less focus shift on the near end- Its accurate now at 1.5 at about 2M. My other lenses seem fine so i'm not quite sure how to explain that, but its a great bonus!

Anyway, Have a nice weekend all.
Rich:dh2: <--?

Welcome to the club Rich! My start's been a bit rocky as I found out either the camera and/or lens were out of calibration, so focus was off. They're now on their way to Leica in Germany for readjustment. Should have then back before summer vacation, which is important for me.. I'd be pissedd off beyond belief if I didn't get them back before that!

As for the bottom plate, I just removed the sticker in my previous M9. It peels off rather nicely and then just used mild soap to remove the residue. Planning on doing the same for the M240 when i get it back. Not for making it stealthier, but just because I dislike the ugly a$$ stickers..

Whilst waiting for the camera, I already bought a 2nd lens for my kit.. a 2nd hand Ultron 28/2. Now all I need is a 90. I've been looking at 90 elmarit-m as I love that lens, but now there's a really decent bargain around for a pre-asph 90 cron. Hard choice!

//Juha

rich_

Good luck with the readjustment, Out here I sent my previous camera to the local Leica dealer (Who is apparently approved) so they can realign cameras in a few days. I dread going home and having to send items away for months. It reminds me of trying to renew my passport!..

I just purchased a 20 year old 35mm Summilux Asph today. It's like I've rediscovered my camera! My first Leica lens after Zeiss and VC. A nice different experience! Anyway i'll stop being so positive until you receive your camera back :-D