The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts about my new M240

Not sure if anyone could learn anything about the M240 from me, especially with the superb reviews and commentary by the wonderful photographers that grace this forum. This is just to share my own thoughts about getting the camera after a long period of debate, and then using it at a very special occasion to me personally, shooting at the weeding of the daughter of my closest friends.

I made the decision to go with the MM 18 months ago. This is in part because I have some red-green color blindness and I love to let all of that go and shoot B&W. Also, I just did not like the color I was seeing until firmware changes improved things on the M240. I really wanted to get color shots at the wedding, so I went for it, and I am really glad I did. Here's an outline of my experience.
GREAT
1.I hadn't really expected how much faster the M240 is to shoot in an active setting. The FPS is up, the buffer clears much faster, and I found it kept up with a rapid pace splendidly.
2. God, that shutter is great and quiet as all report. Shooting during the service was much better, and it just has a great "feel" to the experience.
3. Man, the RF is incredibly accurate!!
4. I really like the look of the files. I may be in a minority of one. but I find PhotoNinja does the most pleasing conversions. It's highlight recovery feature which works automatically when opening the files is fantastic, and I find the overall image to be richer and more film like than other converters.
5. I love silver chrome bodies, and now having a place to hang my silver 50 lux asph as a lens cap is a thrill.

Not So Great
1. while it's faster and clears buffer better, I hit a wall once during the wedding and had to remove the battery. Well described by many others. Needs improvement.
2. I HATE the view of Iso values when changing the setting. They are essentially unreadable in bright daylight. What in the world were they thinking??
3. Finally, as we all know, it needs a truly manual auto iso which is a feature I get t love in my Nikons and do with my MM

So, I love the camera. The bottom line is I really enjoyed shooting at the wedding with it, and was very happy with the images it was asked to provide! Here's a few examples, all with the 50 lux asph. best…..Peter

Last edited:

chrism

Lovely photos! I confess I'm hoping you didn't sell the MM to get the M240. For me the MM is a grail camera—it does exactly what I want and makes it easy. The M9 satisfies my needs for colour.

Chris

Oh no Chris, the MM is still, for me, the ultimate image maker in the leica line, and will never be replaced. I just wanted to talk about the 240, not compare it to the MM.

Oh, one other positive for the 240. I love having the ability to record a brief video especially to get audio and people talking. I think it fits perfectly into the "get the moment" consciousness of M shooting. I hadn't expected to use it but I did at the wedding for some intimate conversations.

Paratom

Enjoy! I certainly enjoy mine, specially the faster speed of buffer etc. This is even more important for me than the improved high ISO.

I use autoISO with longest shutter time 1/250, so I choose the f-stop I like and I am safe even for moving people.

I like your images.

asiafish

Oh no Chris, the MM is still, for me, the ultimate image maker in the leica line, and will never be replaced. I just wanted to talk about the 240, not compare it to the MM.

Oh, one other positive for the 240. I love having the ability to record a brief video especially to get audio and people talking. I think it fits perfectly into the "get the moment" consciousness of M shooting. I hadn't expected to use it but I did at the wedding for some intimate conversations.
yes, the MM is absolute perfection.

just4fun

Thanks for the review....
I am still using and love my M9
It's strange but true that the reason prevent me to buy the M240 is the name, I problably buy it if it were name M10. I just hate that "type" thing from Leica.
Still dont know why Leica give it the name "M type 240" what is type 240 anyway? Isn't M10 is shorter and makes more sense?
Bottom line is I did try the M and it is good but not tempting enough for me to buy, I will wait for the real M10 then... They should name the M240 is something like the cMos. (If they was avoid M10 for 1st CMOS generation)
Sorry for the OT
Sonny

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks for the review....
I am still using and love my M9
It's strange but true that the reason prevent me to buy the M240 is the name, I problably buy it if it were name M10. I just hate that "type" thing from Leica.
Still dont know why Leica give it the name "M type 240" what is type 240 anyway? Isn't M10 is shorter and makes more sense?
Bottom line is I did try the M and it is good but not tempting enough for me to buy, I will wait for the real M10 then... They should name the M240 is something like the cMos. (If they was avoid M10 for 1st CMOS generation)
Sorry for the OT
Sonny
Very similar thoughts from my side on waiting for the next version of the M240 - hopefully finally soooon!

Peter

Just loaded the new firmware and see that my 2 complaints about iso functions have been fixed. The numbers are bright white and auto iso is enabled in manual mode. Yes! Time will tell if the camera is less prone to freezing up. Hope so. ….Peter

jonoslack

Just loaded the new firmware and see that my 2 complaints about iso functions have been fixed. The numbers are bright white and auto iso is enabled in manual mode. Yes! Time will tell if the camera is less prone to freezing up. Hope so. ….Peter
The camera is less prone to freezing up!