The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

Knorp

June 12, 2014 | by Leon Baumgardt | No comments

Leica will increase prices for several lenses on July 1, 2014. Mostly Leica S lenses are affected, but also the M-lens Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2.0 ASPH which will get a large increase of $900.

Check it out here: leica-lenses-price-increase

:(

bradhusick

The APO increase has to reflect how hard it is for them to make this lens. I'll bet the reject rate for lens elements going into it is huge.

iiiNelson

Wow... Two price increases in the same calendar year... That's the first time I remember this happening.

Seascape

When a mint condition Ver. 4 Summicron is somewhere around $1200, and a brand new Ver. 5 of the same optical design is $2300, paying this price for an Apo version of the same speed 50mm lens is……how should I say this……interesting !!

Interesting, that a buyer can see the value in this exercise in optical design.

Just my opinion of course.

turtle

Just $900 on the 50 Summicron APO, eh?

I own quite a few Leica lenses, but I'm not going to sit here and defend pricing. Its ridiculous IMHO. Since I started buying Leica in 2006 it has gone off the charts completely.

I won't be buying any Leica kit any more. I can't afford it and there are now decent alternatives so as to remove the need (for me).

The brand is doing well, but it seems to be decreasingly associated with top photography, which is a shame. I own a MM and some great lenses, but its the end of the road now. Hello Sony, Panasonic, Fuji....

MCTuomey

Just $900 on the 50 Summicron APO, eh?

I own quite a few Leica lenses, but I'm not going to sit here and defend pricing. Its ridiculous IMHO. Since I started buying Leica in 2006 it has gone off the charts completely.

I won't be buying any Leica kit any more. I can't afford it and there are now decent alternatives so as to remove the need (for me).

The brand is doing well, but it seems to be decreasingly associated with top photography, which is a shame. I own a MM and some great lenses, but its the end of the road now. Hello Sony, Panasonic, Fuji....
Yep, it's clear that my leica gear is increasingly more luxurious than even my spoiled self can stand. Though I do like the files very much, and the gear is wonderful in use, I wonder how much longer I'll stay with it.

mbn

900 dollar - about 750 euro...

talk about leica and you talk about several thousands, who cares about a few hundreds. if I was looking to buy in the leica luxury toy land, a few hundreds wouldn't put me off.

jonoslack

talk about leica and you talk about several thousands, who cares about a few hundreds. if I was looking to buy in the leica luxury toy land, a few hundreds wouldn't put me off.
. .. Yes, but that's not what I mean - I'm not certain, but I think the price rises apply to the States, but not to Europe.

Double Negative

Not Available
For that $900 price increase alone, I'd rather buy another Fuji XF lens. LOL. ;)

These prices are ridiculous. I'm keeping what Leica gear I have (which is plenty) - and it's quite unlikely I'll be buying more.

turtle

But its a few hundred on top of the last hike, that added a few hundred to the increase before that (and so on).

The sad part is that spiralling new prices have pushed used prices up dramatically over the years, so you're stuffed either way (new or used). Its great for people who bought in ten years ago, used, and are now selling various lenses, but awful for everyone else.

mbn

@jonoslack
that's what i heard as well. usa only.
no word about eu prices, yet.

@turtle
can't remember the last time something got cheaper in the photo toy land.
example: 2008 canon lens prices (brand new) were cheaper than todays used prices for the same lenses. lenses bought in 2008 will most likely sell with a profit today.

turtle

mbn, sure, but the frequency of Leica rises seems (and maybe I am wrong here) to be much greater than with other brands. Maybe its because Leica rises tend to be announced and debated? I don't know, but while I would not expect Leica kit to go down in price, I am surprised at how often it keeps going up and by how much!