The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need help evaluating 50mm lens

jeffnesh

Hi All,

I just picked up a used 50mm Summicron-M for my M240. I suspect a problem with the lens, but only have the one, so can't try another on the M240.

Anything shot in mixed light (outside or even inside as seen in one example) shows a 'wash out' in the center of the frame, upper half or so. These outdoors examples are in thick cloud cover, so no direct sun...could it be a bad flare anyway (shot with hood pulled out)? Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes very pronounced. The indoor example is in a warehouse room with light coming in a window.

(not awesome shots, just examples...)

Thoughts on the cause of this?

Thanks for your time,
Jeff

DaveS

Agree with CLA

Try shining a flash light from one end and looking thru lens from the other, you probably will see a sort of foggy look on some elements. (If you are really lucky, maybe your front or back element have a huge finger print smudge that you can clean off!)

all the best

baudolino

Agree with the comments above but would also add my experience that this lens is particularly prone to flare in situations where there is a large light source (e.g. sky) just outside the field of view. This is one Leica lens that is definitely not my favourite.

jeffnesh

Thanks for all the input. I'm now trying to figure out the best service/CLA option (from the isolated middle of the midwest!)

Thanks again,
Jeff

alajuela

Thanks for all the input. I'm now trying to figure out the best service/CLA option (from the isolated middle of the midwest!)

Thanks again,
Jeff

Hello Jeff -

You are in Luck !!

I would start here --- DAG Camera Parts (In Wisconsin)

Don trained with Leica in Germany for many years - -- He is very good and responsive. He did some work for me on a 50mm R lens - -- now perfect.

Telephone
608-835-3342

FAX
608-835-3342

Postal Address
2128 Vintage Drive
Oregon WI 53575 USA

Customer Service
[email protected]

Office Hours
10AM - 6PM Monday through Friday

Thanks

Phil

Duane Pandorf

Hi All,

I just picked up a used 50mm Summicron-M for my M240. I suspect a problem with the lens, but only have the one, so can't try another on the M240.

Anything shot in mixed light (outside or even inside as seen in one example) shows a 'wash out' in the center of the frame, upper half or so. These outdoors examples are in thick cloud cover, so no direct sun...could it be a bad flare anyway (shot with hood pulled out)? Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes very pronounced. The indoor example is in a warehouse room with light coming in a window.

(not awesome shots, just examples...)

Thoughts on the cause of this?

Thanks for your time,
Jeff

You didn't say where you purchased this lens but I would attempt to return it before spending money on trying to "fix"" it.