The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Choice Infrared filter for Monochrom

rayyen

As title, any recommendation for infrared filter for use with Monochrom?
I have tried Hoya R72, my friend said it's not like analog infrared. Want see more options and samples.
Cheers,
Ray

xdayv

I've been using the Hoya R72, and it's fine on the Monochrom. Unless you have more specific criteria.

Don Libby

Since you're already shooting more or less in black and white you might try using a filter at or near the 830nm range.

Don

Shashin

I use a B+W 093 IR. Not with a MM, but other cameras. The cut-on wavelength is above 800nm (near IR). A cut on at 720nm is still in the visible, which is why you can see through it.

With a Pentax 645D. The color is because the blue and green filters in the bayer array increase in transmittance in the near IR.

And again, bw and a pano--see the uneven sky:

With an EP-1:

250swb

I use a Heliopan RG 715 for my Monochrom and it gives full IR results, and if you bump the ISO to max does a good impression of IR film, except you can hand hold it at wider apertures. The best bet though is to use a tripod and stop the lens down. Exposure is an experimental thing to start with, at ISO 320 I find about eight seconds at f/11 is about average for a mixed shade UK Summer's day.

Steve

rayyen

Thanks for sharing!!
I've ordered a 850 and 720 to try.
But focusing with new lens still have trouble, unlike old lens with IR mark on barrel...

rayyen

Testing R72 again.

St. John Cathedral, Central, Hong Kong

Leica Monochrom
Leica 35mm Summilux ASPH