The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hands-on with the Leica T (Type 701) Review

segedi

Nice review and I hope Leica hears some of the cons detailed in it and acts on them. Even if there weren't any cons, I can't see myself getting into another expensive system as I'm too invested in the M.

Double Negative

Not Available
Nice review and I hope Leica hears some of the cons detailed in it and acts on them. Even if there weren't any cons, I can't see myself getting into another expensive system as I'm too invested in the M.
Thanks a lot! :)

Yes, thankfully a lot of the issues should be fixable in firmware. We'll see how Leica responds with the next update. Personally, the T system doesn't interest me in the least. I'm a knobs and dials kinda guy and went with the Fujifilm X-T1. ;)

jonoslack

Certainly nobody around here seems very interested.
I guess it depends whether you do the pixel peeping before the checkbox ticking or afterwards :)
Good write up. I think the final verdict depends on the firmware update ( for me at least)

Double Negative

Not Available
Certainly nobody around here seems very interested.
I guess it depends whether you do the pixel peeping before the checkbox ticking or afterwards :)
Good write up. I think the final verdict depends on the firmware update ( for me at least)
Thanks! :)

Agreed... And understandable. I don't think it's for "us."

And also agreed about the firmware. The next update will be do or die, IMO.

jonoslack

Thanks! :)

Agreed... And understandable. I don't think it's for "us."

And also agreed about the firmware. The next update will be do or die, IMO.
Oh no. It won't be "do or die". The camera produces great results already, and once you've "got it" it's great to shoot with already..

But a good firmware upgrade might make it popular here too.

It certainly not for the checkbox brigade. Is that "us"?

wattsy

I don't think it's got anything to do with checking boxes (if I understand the meaning) or "getting it". The camera has a user interface that either appeals or it doesn't. I tried it out and thought virtually everything about it was awful – from the mildly unresponsive touchscreen interface (reminded me of my old iphone 3 running an operating system a couple of generations newer) to the EVF. The latter seems such an unpleasant experience that, if it became the only way of taking photographs, I'd most likely give up photography.

Robert Campbell

I've never seen a T in the flesh, but to me it has 'designer' all over it. Of course, all artefacts are 'designed', but compared to the M3 it's quite different. The M3 is an example of 'form follows function'; its basic design is an evolution of the screw-thread Leicas, with a combined viewfinder/rangefinder dictating the shape of the upper part of the body.

But, the T is more like 'function follows form', the basic shape being designed before the innards were thought about. The T has been compared to the iPhone whose shape changes with each iteration, and which is only partly based on function, becoming more like a fashion accessory. You could argue that Leica has been a traditionally conservative camera maker; the original Leicaflex was outdated when it appeared; you might think that the M240 is the camera that another, more radical firm, would have introduced a few years ago. So, if you're into the pur sang of photography, the T won't be for you.

Double Negative

Not Available
Oh no. It won't be "do or die". The camera produces great results already, and once you've "got it" it's great to shoot with already..

But a good firmware upgrade might make it popular here too.

It certainly not for the checkbox brigade. Is that "us"?
I disagree. There's nothing to "get." Either you're a fan of the approach or you're not. A firmware update will only serve to make it actually usable.

jonoslack

I disagree. There's nothing to "get." Either you're a fan of the approach or you're not. A firmware update will only serve to make it actually usable.
Whilst I certainly don't deny it badly needs a firmware update I certainly don't agree it's unusable.

Fact is I've been using it for 10 months fairly continuously, there are strategies for making the EVF delay less, and it works really well with M lenses.

You do have to "work" the settings (and of course you shouldn't have to).

I've got thousands of images with lots of different lenses, and I prefer shooting with the T than with several competitors (the A7r springs immediately to mind).

All the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just wrapped up our latest review - Hands-on with the Leica T (Type 701)!

A full hands-on review of the Leica T (Type 701) camera, Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH and Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH lenses. Introduction, usage, issues, performance, sample images and more!
Very good review!

I actually agree with a lot of the issues you mention and combined with the exorbitant price I finally cancelled my order some 6 weeks ago and went totally Fuji XT1. As a side note I BTW also sold my complete m43 gear including EM1, as for me at least the XT1 with its perfect lens lineup and the very interesting price point is currently the top choice for mirror less in my eyes (others may think different I know, but I only care for myself, so please excuse me writing this in a Leica T thread)!

I would have really liked to love the T but trying it several times in different stores who had it available my initial enthusiasm gave soon way to too much doubts about the status of the current system. I have no doubt that the T can produce outstanding images as we already have seen form Jono and others, but for me the limitations of the system are still too much. I also would have preferred the use of M lenses with the Leica T/M adapter over the Fuji solution but this was finally not enough advantage for me.

WRT design I would prefer the Leica T anytime and I think I could also get friend with the touch screen only concept as I could set the camera nicely up for my most preferred shooting style - aperture priority in combination with exposure value change. But on the other hand the XT1 is outstanding WRT controls (at least for me) and finally design from the T was not enough for me.

So I will be happy camper with Fuji (XT1 and likely XPRO2 as soon as available) and some nice Fuji glass, the Fuji M adapter and my Leica M lens collection.

Double Negative

Not Available
Very good review!

I actually agree with a lot of the issues you mention and combined with the exorbitant price I finally cancelled my order some 6 weeks ago and went totally Fuji XT1. As a side note I BTW also sold my complete m43 gear including EM1, as for me at least the XT1 with its perfect lens lineup and the very interesting price point is currently the top choice for mirror less in my eyes (others may think different I know, but I only care for myself, so please excuse me writing this in a Leica T thread)!

I would have really liked to love the T but trying it several times in different stores who had it available my initial enthusiasm gave soon way to too much doubts about the status of the current system. I have no doubt that the T can produce outstanding images as we already have seen form Jono and others, but for me the limitations of the system are still too much. I also would have preferred the use of M lenses with the Leica T/M adapter over the Fuji solution but this was finally not enough advantage for me.

WRT design I would prefer the Leica T anytime and I think I could also get friend with the touch screen only concept as I could set the camera nicely up for my most preferred shooting style - aperture priority in combination with exposure value change. But on the other hand the XT1 is outstanding WRT controls (at least for me) and finally design from the T was not enough for me.

So I will be happy camper with Fuji (XT1 and likely XPRO2 as soon as available) and some nice Fuji glass, the Fuji M adapter and my Leica M lens collection.
Thanks so much! :)

We really wanted to like the T as well, and it really can shine - depending on the next firmware update, and of course, seeing more lens options. Jono, I have to hand it to you if you've stuck with it this long. Honestly, I don't know how you did it. There are several gotchas that are just showstoppers.

The Fuji X-T1, yes... Can't stop raving about this camera. It's beautifully executed and works very, very well (I'm a buttons and dials kinda guy). The lenses are also almost universally praised and the roadmap is exploding. It also works very well with M lenses. ;)

weinschela

Subscriber Member
DN: I think that this is a fair review and I thank you. But I think I am with Jono on this one. For me, the T is a very significant egronomic improvement over the A7r (I ditched mine for the T). I agree on almost all of the points at the end that should be addressed. The DNG/JPG comparison was interesting. I had had many cameras where the raw and jpgs looked different, so maybe we have been spoiled by the Leica M digitals (M9 and M240 at least) or maybe I have been spoiled because with those cameras I rarely shoot anything but DNGS. My impression is that the apparent different in sharpness may be in fact a difference in contrast -- but I would prefer to do my own sharpening off of DNGs than accept somebody else's idea of sharp in a jpg. The touchscreen is a breeze to use -- and that may be the key item of personal preference. With the M adapter, the T is my backup for my M. On this kind of camera saying YMMV is a big understatement.

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks, Alan! :)

Anything is an ergonomic improvement over a Sony. ;)

As for the difference in files; it most definitely isn't just contrast. The JPEGs are sharpened considerably by the camera. In the review, I provided both a DNG and JPEG if anyone's curious to do their own test. I'm not faulting Leica for them being different otherwise, certainly.

jonoslack

The Fuji X-T1, yes... Can't stop raving about this camera. It's beautifully executed and works very, very well (I'm a buttons and dials kinda guy). The lenses are also almost universally praised and the roadmap is exploding. It also works very well with M lenses. ;)
Which just goes to show. I had the Fuji for a couple of weeks and didn't get on with it. Of course, you can't fault the responsiveness or the splendid lack of shutter lag, but I wasn't keen on the files, and prefer the EVF on the EM1. I also think that IBIS is the best strategy for stabilisation.

With the T I've simply developed strategies to deal with the shortcomings, to the extent that I just enjoy shooting with it and I have to look up my list of (very real) issues to remember that there are problems. (Worth mentioning that my list is longer than yours). However I like the file quality, I like shooting it with M lenses and the two T lenses are great. I also really approve of the idea of limiting options and simplifying the interface.

I think there is a point here that one does get used to whatever one is using unless there are insupportable problems (like - for me -the crashing shutter of the A7r for instance)

All the best