The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrom and zeiss lenses

white.elephant

Hello all. I may have a chance to acquire a Monochrom and at the moment the only M-mount lenses I own are Zeiss (a 28 and a 35). How do Zeiss lenses perform on a Monochrom. Any issues?

mmbma

Zeiss work great on the monochrom, so do almost any other full frame lens! The Mono is very forgiving on glasses.

However, as an ex Monochrom owner, I finally opted for a M240 for its versatility, plus a A7s for black&white and low light.

The B&W conversion from a m240 is almost as good if not better as the Mono (when you blow out highlights, you can recover some from color files), and the low light capability of the A7s just beats the Mono (and any other camera) hands down.

When I had the Mono I almost didn't want to use it for night street photography because I was afraid of being robbed or nicking the camera, which takes out of the fun for me. the A7s is cheap enough that I don't think twice about it. Also, the ability to compose accurately through live view with wide and super wide glasses is important to me.

Paul.N

When I had the Mono I almost didn't want to use it for night street photography because I was afraid of being robbed or nicking the camera, which takes out of the fun for me. the A7s is cheap enough that I don't think twice about it. Also, the ability to compose accurately through live view with wide and super wide glasses is important to me.
It has been awhile since I have travelled overseas and was briefed on various threats (pickpockets, assaults, cons, drugging, etc). Back in the day, I travelled with a Canon D30 (the 3MP wonder DSLR). Most people assumed that it was a simple rebel film camera, and I took precautions to keep the screen close to my body. It was also a *tiny* screen by todays standards. With relatively small lenses, I didn't feel as if I stood out.

I suspect, but have no numbers to back, that majority of the pickpockets will be stealing the DSLRs & lenses as they seem more "professional" - especially if the huge lens is white and/or has a red ring around it (gold if Nikon?).

In some exotic locales, I suspect that Leicas are targeted as the criminals know what to look for. Money stands out. Handmade suits, the shoes, sunglasses, etc. But is this the case in the average large city? Maybe? If you are walking around sketchy neighborhoods at the wrong time of day looking to get those post-apocalyptic shots of urban decay, you are going to get jumped by down and out folks who will just dump the camera at a pawn shop so that they can get their next score. If the camera looks like an old film camera (that will have limited appeal) I suspect they will just pass you up and go for the person who is lit up like a spotlight due to live-view.

I'd be curious to see if anyone has more knowledge.. It has been fascinating to watch criminals go after cellphones. In order to get around the 'find my iPhone', the SIM card is popped out of the phone within seconds of grabbing it out of the persons hand. Most folks are actually on the phone when it happens - person comes up from behind, grabs the phone, dumps the SIM card and dashes off...

Just my thoughts..

-Paul

mmbma

probably more of my paranoia than anything. I live in New York near Harlem, where is the most interesting at night. I felt uneasy walking around with my monochrom for sure. Not an issue with my taped up sony.

Also, I used to worry about nicking my Leica. I personally don't care about wear and tear but they have such a huge impact on the resell value. Anyhow I feel liberated by using a cheaper and in some areas more capable camera.

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, the Monochrom is the only camera other than my M9 that made me feel that it has a soul. Miss it more often than I want to admit

white.elephant

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, the Monochrom is the only camera other than my M9 that made me feel that it has a soul. Miss it more often than I want to admit
This is the most interesting thing I've read today. Seriously, talk to me about this feeling with your M9...

jaapv

Subscriber Member
The B&W conversion from a m240 is almost as good if not better as the Mono (when you blow out highlights, you can recover some from color files)
Please tell me how you convert, as there is no way that I can get the midtones from my 240 even close to those of the MM.

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I don't think photographers should curtail their activities out of fears of being robbed. Common sense, yes; but holding back on certain travel or on equipment, no. I have walked the streets, night and day, in many of the world's cities, including some comparatively dangerous ones. I've been burglarized once but never robbed. I'm figuring it will happen one day, but I'm insured and calculate that this is the cost of doing what we do, the cost of doing our business. I am NOT going to leave my Leica's or Hasselblads in a safe in Virginia while I'm shooting night scenes in Sofia. I'm just not.

turtle

The ZM lenses work very well, although the Leica 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-M asph is much better at the edges at all apertures than the 28mm Biogon (I have both). The 28mm ZM was great on film, but it falls down a bit on the MM. My 21mm f2.8 and 50mm Planar are wonderful.

FWIW I don't find M240 conversions nearly as pleasing as MM files. YMMV.