The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finally! Apple support for Leica X and T DNG files

jonoslack

I bit the bullet and installed Yosemite. Finally there is support for the new DNG standard from Adobe, so that DNG files from the Leica T and the X Vario now work properly in Aperture, iPhoto and the finder.

Apple haven't explicitly added support, but now it just works, which also means that DNG files from future Leica cameras will just work as well. (No more irritating waits)

HOORAY

Double Negative

Not Available
A bit confused, Jono...

Is the support coming from Apple or Adobe? As the two parts (Digital Camera RAW and Adobe Camera Raw) each support different software.

jonoslack

A bit confused, Jono...

Is the support coming from Apple or Adobe? As the two parts (Digital Camera RAW and Adobe Camera Raw) each support different software.
Apple.
There has been a longstanding problem that Apple have only supported version 1.0 DNG. the Leica X and T cameras use versions 1.3 (or possibly 1.4) which can utilise lens corrections.

The upshot of this was that neither Aperture, iPhoto or the Apple finder could view DNG files from these cameras.

With Yosemite they can. Without explicit support (just like all DNG files shouldn't need explicit support).

It also means that future Leica cameras utilising DNG are likely to be supported immediately in All the Apple applications without Apple having to do anything about it (unlike Nikon, Fuji, Canon or anyone else who uses a proprietary RAW format).

So it's good news for now AND for the future.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This are wonderful news indeed!

Wonder how good the new Photo App will be compared to Aperture ... ?

Peter

To bump this old topic.. some time has passed since the last comments, so let's get up to speed.

Jono, since you're using (or at least were) Apple's Aperture could you share some insight into what kind of presets you're running for X Vario or T in Aperture?

I'm actually having a hard time matching the output of out of camera jpg's with Aperture :)

//Juha

jonoslack

To bump this old topic.. some time has passed since the last comments, so let's get up to speed.

Jono, since you're using (or at least were) Apple's Aperture could you share some insight into what kind of presets you're running for X Vario or T in Aperture?

I'm actually having a hard time matching the output of out of camera jpg's with Aperture :)

//Juha
HI There Juha
At the moment I'm using Lightroom . . . but I haven't given up on Aperture, it's just an interregnum because Apple does not have support for some of the cameras I'm using. So I've been using a combination of Lightroom and Capture One for the time being.

I've been looking at Photos, and it's not there yet (there's hope though so I'm not converting my Aperture Libraries yet!).

I liked the T and X conversions in Aperture - but then I wasn't trying to match them to the jpg files.

Sorry - all that isn't much help is it!

All the best
Jono

I was using lightroom as well and trying my best with it. I wasn't trying to match per se the camera jpg output, but rather do something even better - epic fail :)

Until I decided to try my trusted friend, Aperture. I was instantly getting closer to how I want things to come out.

Lightroom might be technically more advanced, but Aperture's usability is a million miles ahead!