The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone used a 28mm 1.9 Ultron Voightlander with their M9?

Moonshine

Was considering getting this as the Elmarit 28mm Asph seems a bit expensive for me at this point..
My concern was how much of it juts out of the viewfinder? Any focus issues? Also is the chrome one a lot heavier than a black one?

Thanks!

D&A

I've used both a black one as well as a Silver one for years on film and M9. Tremendous sample to sample variation. With original hood it does black viewfinder somewhat. It's completely different than the 28mm cron. It's a very low contrast lens that gives the impression that it's not sharp, especially at f1.9 and 2.8. No focus shift like current f2 VC lens. Weight of black and silver about the same. I'd go with whatever sample is optically better. I've tested many of these lenses. The current f2 version is more consistant and has better contrast and for some the better choice. It's more like the Leica cron. Actually the 1.9 lens makes for some very good low contrast B&W imagery and this may be it's strength.

Dave (D&A)

geotrupede

I had the f2 and the f1.9 and I had f1.9 twice...
The f2 is very decent and I never experienced an issue with focus shift, but I must admit I am not so perfect in focusing anyway :)
And when actions happen is all about f > 5.6...

They are all good lenses (or I have been very lucky) for a very decent price.

My advice is to go for it as they are very inexpensive and good to use
but
If you are looking for f5.6 super sharp pictures there is nothing that beats the leica f2.8 asph... with no distortion whatsoever is technically perfect.
and
they have not leica logo, which may seem stupid but if you are collector you may wish to save for the leica branded lenses.
In any case have fun which is the most important thing :)
G

DDudenbostel

I have the f1.9 and used it until I sold my M9. The center is quite good at wide apertures till you get around 2/3's out from the center and then by f8 it's all very good. This is only apparent at 100%. I like the lens very much and will continue using it on film. I'll say I have never been disappointed with it.

RS

Not sure if it helps but I like the lens on m8.
I have a used black one for about 9 months
(not sure it is heavier/lighter than chrome though, never tried it)
Some of my thoughts:
Big lens
Low contrast
Hood cuts into view finder quite a lot
No hood still cuts into view finder quite a bit
No focus shift (unlike the current f2 version).
My lens barrel says it hasn't been loved but no focusing issues, seems well built
Screw mount - use a good adapter
Obviously it is not a Leica so don't expect the same sharpness wide open, bite, micro contrast, 3D draw, etc.
Try it, and see if you like it :)

Moonshine

Thank you for all the replies..very informative.
Since it juts out quite a bit and is not contrasty i think i will pass and just try and save up for the elmarit! Wish Leica lenses were not this expensive!!

IMO the Zeiss suggestion is worth taking seriously. I find high contrast more of a problem than low contrast on M9. Sean Reid's review suggests the Elmarit is not a good 'sunny-day lens.' All Zeiss lenses (except Sonnar-C) are pretty contrasty, but the 28 Elmarit exceeds the Zeiss in this respect

I keep the 1.9 version of the Ultron as a backup lens. Being economical, they're especially good in dangerous circumstances: wild nature, wild parties, wild children.

DDudenbostel

It's easy to increase contrast in your files but difficult to reduce it. High contrast lenses make deep shadows and low contrast have more open shadows.

Godfrey

I have the Ultron 28/2 and the Color-Skopar 28/3.5. The Ultron is good, the Color-Skopar is excellent.

The Color Skopar is tiny, and sharp everywhere. Now that I've got the magic lens code (on the M9, code it for the Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH), I don't think I need to buy any other 28mm.

The Ultron is a good lens too, just not terribly great wide open IMO. It hits its stride between f/4 and f/8; I usually have mine stopped down to at least f/4. So if I'm going to do that anyway, I'd rather use the Color-Skopar which is less expensive, smaller, and sharper.

A friend owned the Ultron 28/1.9. I tried it ... the low contrast and apparent softness wide open didn't thrill me much. And it felt even larger than the f/2 model.

I'm sticking with the Color Skopar 28, and will likely acquire a Super Elmar 24/3.4 at some point. Every lens does not have to be ultra-fast to be excellent...

G