The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm not certain that's where Leica wants to position the brand in the market.
Well, if this is not the case then the whole story/strategy behind gets even more questionable. Especially taking into account all their advertisement with historical famous photographers, where a number of them have been Pro's.

doug

Well, if this is not the case then the whole story/strategy behind gets even more questionable. Especially taking into account all their advertisement with historical famous photographers, where a number of them have been Pro's.
I think they're appealing to the bling market and riding on the coattails of historical famous photographers.

k-hawinkler

I think they're appealing to the bling market and riding on the coattails of historical famous photographers.

I would love to buy a Leica camera that is actually technically sound (including its electronics up to snuff) and let's me use my M and R lenses equally well.

Unfortunately, the M-P ain't it.

wattsy

Certainly the T, the new M-P 'skin' and many of the M special editions support that but I'd like to think (hopefully not totally naively) that the core M and S system products are designed with engineering excellence and "high end photography" in mind. Without a connection to that excellence the brand will surely wither, no matter who the products are aimed at?

doug

Certainly the T, the new M-P 'skin' and many of the M special editions support that but I'd like to think (hopefully not totally naively) that the core M and S system products are designed with engineering excellence and "high end photography" in mind. Without a connection to that excellence the brand will surely wither, no matter who the products are aimed at?
Yes I agree completely. The S system and the core of the M system are the 'photographer's cameras'. The rest of the product line, while fine cameras in their own right, appear to be marketed to and priced for those for whom status and connection with the past masters is paramount.

fotografz

It says "Preview" not "Review".

It is just an informational piece from a retail Leica store. To be a Leica store, you have to maintain some sort of web presence including some form of a blog … at least that was the original requirement when Leica set up the whole Leica store/boutique concept.

Josh and David do a good job informing their clients of news items and both are keen on photography themselves … keeping in mind that not everyone cruises photo sites on a daily basis.

- Marc

jonoslack

Someone around here must surely have been testing this under a NDA.Let's wait for some performance reviews.

Later I shall wait for the ' fun with the M-P ' thread to start.:)
Not I Ray
The same processor, the same sensor, the same firmware - no need to test.

Hopefully the extra memory is also faster memory, in which case Lou you might find it worthwhile.

I found the sapphire glass update of the M9p well worthwhile, but the normal M already has good glass (haven't scratched mine yet).

To be honest, I haven't seen one, and although it looks fine, I certainly won't be buying one (my two weatherbeaten Ms are quite enough).

All the best

jonoslack

Unfortunately Leica has become a brand offering such exclusive models and making business from them to a meanwhile high degree - too much for my feeling.
Hi There Peter
They haven't become such a brand they have always made special editions - it doesn't detract from the core product and it's essential for a small company who can't match the 6 monthly releases from their Japanese competitors.

I find it weird that people get so aerated about this (you say you think it's disgusting).

1. You aren't forced to buy them
2. if they sell more special edition cameras then they can invest in a better camera next time around.

I'm not buying one (although I do like the black dials on the back). But I hope lots of other people do.

jonoslack

To be honest, it reads like it was written by Leica themselves...
. . .and, in effect, so it was - Josh is a great guy, and he's done a great job - I enjoyed reading it, seems like it's informational. I also think it's fair - in that he has tested and pointed out that the buffer clears at the same rate as the M - thus clearing up speculation that it might be faster (it's not).

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I do not have a problem with that. Rather the opposite.
It is just that the term Review is somewhat confusing when it starts doing the rounds on the internet.
Maybe Advertorial is more descriptive. Or a milder Infotorial.

jonoslack

I do not have a problem with that. Rather the opposite.
It is just that the term Review is somewhat confusing when it starts doing the rounds on the internet.
Maybe Advertorial is more descriptive. Or a milder Infotorial.
Is infotorial a word? If it is, should it be?

whatever, I quite agree - I like Josh, and I like his piece, (and I think it's honest) but it's certainly not a 'Review'

fotografz

"Advertorial" should never have been a word either. Advertising and Editorial smushed together is an oxymoron at best.

People that get confused by pieces floating around the web, without considering the source, are not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer are they?

- Marc

fotografz

Hi There Peter
They haven't become such a brand they have always made special editions - it doesn't detract from the core product and it's essential for a small company who can't match the 6 monthly releases from their Japanese competitors.

I find it weird that people get so aerated about this (you say you think it's disgusting).

1. You aren't forced to buy them
2. if they sell more special edition cameras then they can invest in a better camera next time around.

I'm not buying one (although I do like the black dials on the back). But I hope lots of other people do.
That is a good summation Jono. Who cares if Leica makes a quick couple of million selling some custom M variant to those with the means to pay the price?

Leica are smart cookies IMO. They cash in on their Cache so to speak;)

Leica has been quite straight up with their positioning as of late. They are after the top 1% and instituted exclusive retail Store environments and Boutique experiences to cater to that crowd. Folks like that tend to like heritage and history behind the brands they choose …thus the harkening back to a storied past.

This doesn't exclude a serious photographer who "gets" the whole rangefinder gestalt and puts it to good use …professionally or not. At $8K for a camera and upwards of $20K for a decent system, the photographer is already in the 1%, or close to it … or they are making a serious financial commitment by acting like they are in the top 1% when it comes to their photography.

- Marc

When asked why he robbed banks, the infamous thief Willy Loman replied … "Because that's where the money is." Leica goes where the money is. It's that simple.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
"Advertorial" should never have been a word either. Advertising and Editorial smushed together is an oxymoron at best.

People that get confused by pieces floating around the web, without considering the source, are not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer are they?

- Marc
Where did I say the average Internet user is the sharpest knife in the drawer?:confused: