The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lei-ko R lens to S adapter ring

topoxforddoc

Just to say that I received my adapter from Michael Leibfritz today, after my short holiday in Oslo with the family. I have only managed a very short 5 minute play with it, using my 280/4 APO and 180/2 lenses.

Firstly it looks beautifully machined. Easy to fit (R lens to adapter and then adapter to S body). Although you have to use MF and stop down metering, I don't find that a real issue. Michael's estimates of the max focussing distance seem about spot on - 12m for the 180 and 20m for the 280. I am planning to send my lenses to Wetzlar to get the max focus distance adjusted to allow infinity focus on the S.

When I get time to go outside, I will take a few test shots and post them.

topoxforddoc

I have just been out to do some test shots with my 280/4 APO and 180/2 APO

Here are the 280/4 APO test shots. Sorry of these are just small jpegs. Please email me off list if you want the full size files - [email protected]

My copy of the 280/4 APO focusses past the infinity point already (up to the "m" mark on the barrel). This is 40m + (see car shot). All the images were shot at ISO400 (dull overcast day) with the 280/4 wide open at F4.

Cars shot - approx 40m+ at max focus distance

Wall shot - about 10m

Flower shot - about 5m

topoxforddoc

Just tried the 1.4x APO converter with the 280/4 APO on the S (006). This focusses up to and past infinity. Apparently the earlier 3 cam 280/4 APO lenses (like mine) focussed way past the infinity point on the lens barrel, which helps enormously.

Here are some handheld test shots, taken at ISO400 with the lens wide open. Sorry about the lack of artistic quality.

House 1/3 mile away plus crop

Bird in sky plus crop

Doc,
Please don't take this the wrong way as I sincerely appreciate any images posted by anyone using this adapter on an S with R lenses. My question is why go through the expense of the adapter (or the S/S2) if all you're getting are mushy, out of focus images? There is nothing remotely sharp about these images... so by posting them you're only showing that either the adapter is not properly machined or the lens is out of alignment or there's vibration caused by the shutter/mirror of the S that compromises image quality.

I shoot daily with my DMR as well as the Sony A77 while using my 400 pre modular APO 2.8, along with a 1.4 TC or a Macro R tube that has a Leitax/Sony mount (for use with the A77). The results are critically sharp... and I'm dealing with Hummingbird wings. I can often see the pupil in the Hummingbird's eyes with this lens. All shots are taken from a Gitzo Series 5 with an Arca B1G head and a Wimberley Sidekick.

The DMR still provides sharper feather detail and better micro contrast but the Sony provides bigger files.

I've always wondered what the S could do with this lens and a proper adapter... and frankly I'm very disappointed in what I'm seeing. The 280 f4 APO that you're using is theoretically sharper than what I'm using.

Again, this is just an observation from someone who's only interest is in optimum image quality and doesn't give a hoot about brand loyalty. I'll jump ship to Canon in a heartbeat if the soon to be released 7D11 has better IQ than the Sony (or the DMR).

Here's a cropped shot of a female Broad-billed Hummingbird from several hours ago... along with a 100% crop of the head. DMR, 400 pre modular APO 2.8 and Macro R tube.

If I can't improve upon this with an S, what's the point of using an S with an adapter?

k-hawinkler

Doc,
Please don't take this the wrong way as I sincerely appreciate any images posted by anyone using this adapter on an S with R lenses. My question is why go through the expense of the adapter (or the S/S2) if all you're getting are mushy, out of focus images? There is nothing remotely sharp about these images... so by posting them you're only showing that either the adapter is not properly machined or the lens is out of alignment or there's vibration caused by the shutter/mirror of the S that compromises image quality.

I shoot daily with my DMR as well as the Sony A77 while using my 400 pre modular APO 2.8, along with a 1.4 TC or a Macro R tube that has a Leitax/Sony mount (for use with the A77). The results are critically sharp... and I'm dealing with Hummingbird wings. I can often see the pupil in the Hummingbird's eyes with this lens. All shots are taken from a Gitzo Series 5 with an Arca B1G head and a Wimberley Sidekick.

The DMR still provides sharper feather detail and better micro contrast but the Sony provides bigger files.

I've always wondered what the S could do with this lens and a proper adapter... and frankly I'm very disappointed in what I'm seeing. The 280 f4 APO that you're using is theoretically sharper than what I'm using.

Again, this is just an observation from someone who's only interest is in optimum image quality and doesn't give a hoot about brand loyalty. I'll jump ship to Canon in a heartbeat if the soon to be released 7D11 has better IQ than the Sony (or the DMR).

Here's a cropped shot of a female Broad-billed Hummingbird from several hours ago... along with a 100% crop of the head. DMR, 400 pre modular APO 2.8 and Macro R tube.

If I can't improve upon this with an S, what's the point of using an S with an adapter?

That's a stunning shot!!! Congratulations!

In extreme magnification I see short upwards pointing lines from the beak and the back of the head.
What is that all about? TIA for an explanation.

Last edited:

topoxforddoc

K-H,

I'm sorry if the purpose of my post wasn't clear. I wasn't trying to show the 280/4 APO at its optimum, as I haven't had time. I have just managed a couple of 5 minute walkabouts in between my work and the rain in the UK. I did say that these were hand held at ISO 400, as I just wanted to see the max focus distance achievable with they set up.

Michael Liebfritz had tested his Lei-ko adapter ring on a 280/4 APO. He told me that this would focus only to about 20m max. He also sent me some test shots. I only received the adapter on tuesday this week. I just wanted to see if it would work and whether I need to go through with the expense and time to send my lens to Wetzlar for adjustment.

Of course, I can't possible claim that these are definitive shots to show the abilities of the 280/4 APO. I know what this lens can do on my DMR. I only wanted to see if would actually work. In a fortnight, I will be taking it for the weekend to the Goodwood Revival, probably the world's best retro motor racing event. I will give it a proper workout then. This is the sort of thing I will be looking to shoot with the S (006) and 280/4.

Thanks Kit.
The yellow upwards lines are blurred pollen on the beak of the Hummingbird and feathers on the back of the head. The shutter speed was 1/125, and although the single flash on camera duration was probably around 1/5000, the other 4,999/5,000 time that the flash was not illuminating the bird allowed ambient light to permit the motion of the beak and head feathers while the bird was flying. The shutter speed was not fast enough to arrest movement of the beak or head feathers during the exposure.

For this reason I prefer shooting very early in the morning or very late in the afternoon as I don't get this movement when the flash provides the main source of light (and not simply fill light).

I haven't seen anything to date that can equal the per pixel sharpness and color of the DMR... so I was anxious to see what the S could do with an adapter and R lenses.

I have a friend who has the S and the same adapter... so at some point I'll have to make a long trip to see what his S can do with this lens. Given the fact that the S uses a Kodak CCD, I'm hopeful that this might offer the ultimate in image quality when it comes to photographing Hummingbirds.

Another factor that could exaggerate the movement is the fact that I was only about 7 feet from the bird. With the Macro R tube, I can shoot at close to half the minimum focus distance of the pre modular 400... and at such extreme magnification blur from motion is much more noticeable.

Lawrence

Thanks for the clarification, Doc.

I've seen and admired your work in the past... especially the Jazz images... so I know you to have a critical eye.

I look forward to seeing more of your work with this setup as I feel that it could represent the ultimate for those of us with quality APO R glass.

Lawrence

k-hawinkler

K-H,

I'm sorry if the purpose of my post wasn't clear. I wasn't trying to show the 280/4 APO at its optimum, as I haven't had time. I have just managed a couple of 5 minute walkabouts in between my work and the rain in the UK. I did say that these were hand held at ISO 400, as I just wanted to see the max focus distance achievable with they set up.

Michael Liebfritz had tested his Lei-ko adapter ring on a 280/4 APO. He told me that this would focus only to about 20m max. He also sent me some test shots. I only received the adapter on tuesday this week. I just wanted to see if it would work and whether I need to go through with the expense and time to send my lens to Wetzlar for adjustment.

Of course, I can't possible claim that these are definitive shots to show the abilities of the 280/4 APO. I know what this lens can do on my DMR. I only wanted to see if would actually work. In a fortnight, I will be taking it for the weekend to the Goodwood Revival, probably the world's best retro motor racing event. I will give it a proper workout then. This is the sort of thing I will be looking to shoot with the S (006) and 280/4.

Thanks. I have no problems with your post.

Here is a Hummingbird shot with my APO 280/4 on NEX-7.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

My guess is that if there are sharpness problems, it is more likely the adapter or vibration than the lens or the camera. I shot with the DMR for several years, mostly using the latest lenses...19mm elmarit, 50mm e60, 100mm APO, 180mm APO, 28-90mm and so on. In my opinion, the S2 is way ahead of the DMR is image quality. The per pixel quality, color, noise performance and dynamic range are all ahead of the DMR, and the lenses are even better. The DMR files are nice, but do not have the quality of the S files. At least not to my eyes.
One thing you certainly need to keep in mind, however, is that 10mp is not coming even remotely close to testing a lens like the 280mm f/4. 37.5mp on the other hand is a lot more difficult, not just on the lens, but on every aspect of the system -- the plane parallel aspect of the adapter and the lens, the strength of the mount and any flexing due to the extreme weight of the lens, the stability and quality of the mount.

My experience of using adapted lenses on the S2 is not all that great. Normal lenses tend to work ok, but the S lenses are so far superior as to make it a bit unsatisfying. I have used longer lenses like the 250mm FE and 350mm FE, and the performance has been quite low (particularly the 350mm FE which basically does not get sharp at all...not sure if it is just taxing the lens too hard, or whether there is simply too much vibration and flex to shoot it properly).

In a quick comparison though, just so you can have an apples to apples comparison, here are two comparable shots. One taken with the R9 on a tripod with the 100mm APO at f/5.6, and another with the S2 with the 120mm at f/5.6. I completely turned off the sharpening and left the settings as shot in Lightroom 5.
They are too big to post inline, so I am just linking them. The DMR looks very nice indeed, but keep in mind it is 10mp vs nearly 40! I have done no processing on either image, so the S2 might look lower contrast...that is due to the morning light, and the larger dynamic range. The point of focus is on the rocks in the foreground, but sharpness extends to the mountains in the distance with a bit of gaussian blur. With even the slightest sharpening, the whole image becomes crystal clear.
http://stuartrichardson.com/dmr-full-sample-100mmf5p6-1.jpg
http://stuartrichardson.com/s2-full-sample-120mmf6p8-1.jpg

Stuart,
I like a number of images of yours that you've posted over the years... but I don't see an apples to apples comparison here. I see a skyline shot with the DMR with lots of buildings vs a landscape of a snow covered mountain with some exposed rocks.

We obviously have a different understanding of "apples to apples" as this, to my way of thinking, would be the same subject photographed with two different cameras, using roughly equivalent focal lengths (given the different formats). To clarify: optimum lenses covering the same field of view.

The 100 APO you used is an outstanding lens. I own it and use it for hummingbirds as well... but a snow covered mountain and a skyline with buildings have little to compare if resolution is the goal here.

No doubt that the S or S2 will out resolve the DMR... so no argument there. The question in my mind is per pixel sharpness with an R lens... as that was the point of this thread.

Respectfully,
Lawrence