The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old school (M4) or new school (M240)?

mdg137

I've slid into a creative morass for the last few months, feel like shaking things up a bit.

I've been shooting a sony a7r with M mount lenses, and for the last few years have been printing larger and larger- 30x40ish, but I am now of course running into the lack of wall space that usually accompanies large prints!

I've thought of two options to shake things up (in addition to trying a few new projects):

1. Go hard core old school-- pick up an M4-- no automation, no meter-- run with B&W film, and scan with my Minolta 5400 scanner.

2. Go new school, pick up an M240 and EVF.

My initial thought was to avoid the expenditure of the M240 and depreciation that would follow. After crunching the numbers however, the depreciation suffered my the M240 would be roughly equivalent over 3-4 years to the costs of film and self processing averaging 2 rolls per week, without accounting for time scanning.

I have experience with both film M bodies and digital, to the learning curve would be pretty minimal either way.

Any input, opinion, suggestion, or comments appreciated!

segedi

I just reaquired an M 240 and am really enjoying it. Especially with the evf with longer lenses. I dint think you could go wrong with either choice. But if you really want to shake things up, maybe try medium format or a film slr.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Take a master class in a field that interests you. Or have a look at the Leica Academy. Creativity does not originate from gear.

Double Negative

Not Available
Old school. Think different. Either an M4, or something like an M6. You'd still have money left over for an M9, for the cost of the M240 alone.

Seascape

At this point the only film 35mm camera I own is a M4. I have a recent 16x20 print hanging on my wall, shot in 1974 with this camera. It stands up very well with my M240, medium, and large format prints.

The M4 is pure classic…..it's a keeper :thumbup:

Last edited:

Shashin

Why not the best of both worlds--get a M240 and simply use manual exposure like you would have to on a M4.

Shashin

Take a master class in a field that interests you. Or have a look at the Leica Academy. Creativity does not originate from gear.
I am unsure that creativity is a product of workshops either. And there is a lot to be said for the source of creativity originating from the photographer rather than from outside.

BANKER1

I don't know Will. About 40 years ago, my boss went to some kind of Nikon school. After he got back he was a way, way better photographer. Just my observation.

Greg

ReeRay

Well, if it's wall space you're concerned with I'd go for the "old school" approach as anything above 10 x 8 is going to look pretty grim. This may also provide an insight to a few other questions you may have.

Me, I'd buy an M240 and a bigger house!

Shashin

I don't know Will. About 40 years ago, my boss went to some kind of Nikon school. After he got back he was a way, way better photographer. Just my observation.

Greg
I totally agree, workshops can make you a better photographer. But like anything, that depends on the photographer and the workshop. No offense to the Nikon School, but there are plenty of members at GetDPI that will not really benefit from that (I am not sure the Nikon School teaches creativity per se, but rather more effective criteria or rules for making an image). If some of the amazing talent here got caught in a creative rut, a workshop might not be my first recommendation (unless it was a GetDPI workshop, naturally ;) ). At some point, a photographer is going to have to figure that one out alone.

And I don't know how far I want to go down this rabbit hole, but I think one of the most important lessons every photographer needs at some point in their career or trajectory is to figure out how to get out of ruts. If you are using a workshop or teacher, you are just substituting your rut for their program. And taking someone else's photographs gets you so far--the next rut. There again, when that is important and for who that is important, I don't know.

And sometimes a new camera is as good as a change or workshop...

mdg137

Solved the quandry.

I found a 1969 M4, that the original owner shot a couple rolls of film with, put back in the Leitz plastic bag, then back into the box with instruction manual, warranty card (unfilled), and Leitz literature, then placed in storage until now. Mint condition, its on its way to Youxin ye for a CLA.

ALSO, I picked up a chrome, QM2 M240 from Popflash. My only self restriction was that I could spend no out-of-pocket funds... so off to forums and auction site with little used gear, misc debris from junk drawers, etc!

JohnBrew

Whoa, if your Minolta 5400 is still working go with film. While mine worked it was simply awesome. I dropped mine (please don't do that to yours!) but before that unfortunate experience the scans I got did challenge darkroom results with killer blacks. Any of the film M's will do you justice. Otherwise I found the M240 to be quite wonderful with bw conversions. See the last bw post on my website johnbrewton.zenfolio.com