The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for a perspective from those who used to shoot Leica M and have moved on...

fotografz

I've gone the opposite direction, selling everything except an MM, and an M that I keep as a backup (and for use with odd lenses), and a bunch of Leica and antique glass. At one time or another I've owned Alpa + Phase One, D3, Sony A mount, Leica S and most of the third party (e.g. Sony) bodies that can mount Leica glass, as well as a bunch of "pocketables". They are all gone now. After two full years of using the MM daily I'm still finding new reasons to love it. I've lost interest in changing gear which gets in the way of what I'm trying to do with my images.

Eyesight is an issue but solvable. I shoot with glasses on to correct my mild astigmatism.
Much respect to you Woody.

My dearest wish is to lean down to a M Monochrome and a second camera … which in my case would be a Leica S kit to cover my interests in working with portrait lighting both indoors and outdoors.

Unfortunately, as long as I keep accepting paid event assignments I have to maintain some sort of AF 35mm system.

However, I long for the day when I can follow in your footsteps:thumbup:

- Marc

richardman

I know I am a heretic in GetDPI with my opinions here, but here goes:

Take the numbers of cameras you have ever owned, multiple by the lens you have owned. What is that number?

Now take the number of images you have ever taken (digital makes counting easy, eh?), then divide by the number of images you are happy with.

If the number is close to 1, then it doesn't matter, you can shoot with an instamatic and you will probably be making good shots.

If the number is 10,000 or thereabout, then you are never going to be happy, regardless what you do.

If the number is in-between, find that camera and the lens combo, and yes, chances are that it's one or two lens that are responsible for those images and just keep using them.

You have in your hands the greatest camera and lens that $$$$ can buy. The only thing that should make you switch is either you miss the AF, miss the telephoto, miss the macro, or in rare cases, miss the resolution.

And in latter case, this is why I am shooting 4x5 sheet films for my projects.

Tim

this has been an interesting thread to read through. It seems two aspects come through from most commenters. One is the usability of the camera, the experience while using it, the other the images, the IQ if you like, not necessarily referring to resolution but more what you can make from the camera.

Looking at Amin's photos I think it would be a mistake to part with Leica. If I had his gear I may sell one Leica lens may allow him to partially fund some Nikon DSLR gear to test the water. IMO its better to run two systems in parallel then choose one rather than switch outright. Spending other people's money is easy though.

I can relate though to many comments about gear. I just don't like the images from my m43 gear, so I am selling it all and testing the Sony A7. I found most of my m43 images lack DR and have a very digital look to them, no post post process seemed to work for me. I also don't like the ergonomics of the EM-5. I am constantly having to stop and think about the OS. So it will go.

Often I dream of paring it all back, sell the lot and stick with a RX1

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
this has been an interesting thread to read through. It seems two aspects come through from most commenters. One is the usability of the camera, the experience while using it, the other the images, the IQ if you like, not necessarily referring to resolution but more what you can make from the camera.

Looking at Armin's photos I think it would be a mistake to part with Leica. If I had his gear I may sell one Leica lens may allow him to partially fund some Nikon DSLR gear to test the water. IMO its better to run two systems in parallel then choose one rather than switch outright. Spending other people's money is easy though.

I can relate though to many comments about gear. I just don't like the images from my m43 gear, so I am selling it all and testing the Sony A7. I found most of my m43 images lack DR and have a very digital look to them, no post post process seemed to work for me. I also don't like the ergonomics of the EM-5. I am constantly having to stop and think about the OS. So it will go.

Often I dream of paring it all back, sell the lot and stick with a RX1
I actually had a similar experience with my m43 kit - I never took it really serious in comparison to my D800E and some APSC cameras I owned (like Pentax K5IIs) which all topped m43 WRT dynamic range, process-ability of files and overall IQ. I know there are many who absolutely love m43, I liked it, tried to love it but finally failed. Especially since Fuji came up with the XT1.

Having said that I think in the end, as soon as Sony manages to bring a decent FE FF camera with around 24MP - like an A8 - with much improved AF, a bit better ergonomics and a definitely better shutter, I will switch all my Fuji gear to Sony then. Because then I would have all FF in a very compact size, high IQ via Zeiss lenses and some great G glass, making use of some legacy glass and maybe even be able to replace my Nikon D800E.

In the end I want maximum 2 systems - one Leica M based and one mirror less based like Sony FE. And call this the end of the journey.

fotografz

I actually had a similar experience with my m43 kit - I never took it really serious in comparison to my D800E and some APSC cameras I owned (like Pentax K5IIs) which all topped m43 WRT dynamic range, process-ability of files and overall IQ. I know there are many who absolutely love m43, I liked it, tried to love it but finally failed. Especially since Fuji came up with the XT1.

Having said that I think in the end, as soon as Sony manages to bring a decent FE FF camera with around 24MP - like an A8 - with much improved AF, a bit better ergonomics and a definitely better shutter, I will switch all my Fuji gear to Sony then. Because then I would have all FF in a very compact size, high IQ via Zeiss lenses and some great G glass, making use of some legacy glass and maybe even be able to replace my Nikon D800E.

In the end I want maximum 2 systems - one Leica M based and one mirror less based like Sony FE. And call this the end of the journey.
Man, can I relate to that statement. At my age, many things photographic are fading in the rear-view mirror.

While I'd like to get it to one system, I can barely get it to two (even speculatively).

One is the Leica S2P kit I already have … that is a given. It is the other that causes me issues.

Unfortunately, shooting weddings has lingered because it funds any choice I would make … DSLR/SLT AF and sophisticated flash systems for that specific purpose are essential, and is like fly-paper … I can't get it off my hands.:ROTFL:

I'm ambivalent about all the "Mighty Mouse" Sony FF A7 cameras as they currently stand. Like you, it may improve with a FF 24 meg A8 … we'll see.

I'd have gone with a Leica M240 if I liked the files. I don't, so I didn't. That was a major bummer since it would have solved the second camera system issue for which I already have all the lenses … providing that I can eventually jettison the Sony A SLT kit.

- Marc

asiafish

Amin,

Don't do it. D810 is a great machine no doubt, but its no Leica.

I just added Nikon into my cabinet as well, but not at the expense of selling my Leica M Monochrom to do it. I did sell the focal lengths I don't enjoy using on a rangefinder (24mm and 90mm), which together were enough to buy a Nikon Df and the glass I wanted.

For me at least, RF is at its best with 35mm and 50mm lenses, while an SLR is better with anything longer or wider, which is why I bought 24mm and 105mm (vintage Sonnar pattern Nikkor) for the Df.

Keep the Leica, you'll be glad you did.

peterb

Amin,

No decision will be a wrong decision today particularly with the amazing machines makers have unleashed for photographers to play with. Ultimately, if you are satisfied with the images you create then the camera you used was a good choice. And any other debates are purely academic.

The D810 with the Sigma 35mm Art (which I use with a Canon 6D) would be a phenomenal combination. The effect with shallow depth of field is something to behold. Images on Flickr and elsewhere particularly from one Jack O'Donate (https://www.flickr.com/photos/jack_o_donate/) who uses Sigma and Nikon to great effect (along with DPMs and others) are quite impressive.

Is resolution and low noise the ultimately standard? For some, maybe. But even today Robert Capa's grainy, blurry, D-Day images along with images by other greats and masters still have as much impact on a viewer as the most technically flawless images today's digital machines with their multi-point on-sensor AF capability have made possible.

BUT for me (and I deeply sympathize with those whose somewhat diminishing visual acuity from anomalies like astigmatism etc. makes using the split image focusing of a rangefinder increasingly difficult), the major difference (or advantage if you prefer) for using a Leica M (whether digital, analog, full color or MM) has always been not just the way of seeing (as is often suggested in their advertising copy) but the way you 'see'. Not so much with still life or landscapes but when people going about their lives are involved.

That is, unlike a DSLR which sort of forces you to 'compose' a shot in the finder, with a rangefinder style VF you 'find' the image within a scene (a characteristic often hinted at when writers describe the ability to anticipate what's out the frame and about to enter it in order to capture that 'decisive moment'). To me that experience or approach has always been the magic of using these types of cameras and why when I go over the shots I've taken over the years of "daily life" that really draw me (and others) 'in', I've found more were taken with a rangefinder in hand than any other camera form. And cameras that offer a view with frame lines within a 'scene' have allowed me to do it best. Like the M's, Fuji X100's and any other camera with an OVF that closely matches the lens FOV attached (I've had some success with the DP2M and its OVF although its slow AF has been limiting even with pre-focus techniques).

And even with this understanding and even if I try to view scenes with a DSLR this way, while I do get some superb shots, for certain shots with people, my 'hit' rate is still never as good as when using a camera with a finder containing frame lines that tell me what part of a scene I'm viewing I'm capturing.

The DSLR image may be more dynamic. But the rangefinder image (with people) is more personal. Both serve different purposes and do them very well.

Good luck with your decision, Amin.

helenhill

Wow Amin, You have such Stellar Equipment and yet You have an Itch...
Unless you really can't get the 'desired look' you want to achieve
then of course sell and move on.
Though I suspect its the devil's work whispering in your ear
(lusting for the new system to learn & conquer,wink,wink)
more than the Gear not up to speed

As for Moi, its hard for me to let go of the RF experience and I truly love 'M' bodies
Thats where i am truly Faithful.... Glass is a different story
Leica, voigtlander, Zeiss , Nikkor there all yummy Good

Follow your Bliss, what Feels Good to your Hand & Eye

Last edited:

Geoff

Each of us have our own reasons for the gear we like. I currently use different systems for different purposes, working with "firewalls" between them. These fit my lifestyle, but may not suit anyone else.

For general travel, family shots, and overall simple use - one of the Sonys. Having shot with a 35 'cron for 20 years, the RX1 works well. Has AF, but more important, it has a lovely auto ISO, an easy-to-change shutter speed or f-stop, allowing for quick corrections in poor light.

For documentation (say archive photos in modest light, hand held) the resolution is good to have, it works very well. I can't use it as a fine art camera, somehow can't get those kind of shots from it. For better looking work, I use an MM, loving its resolution/sensor qualities, and the high ISO. Maybe its the rangefinder, and its mech'l aspects which do something as well. And why the MM? The M8 doesn't have the extra couple of gears of the MM, the M9 seemed to be more of the same, M240 left me cold, the MM magic.

And for more serious work, MFDB, often on a tripod. That work is more carefully composed, and slower. But love those tones….

Each has their place and strengths.

The advice given above - work your eye, and raise the level of self criticism - is the most important. Gear is secondary. If it helps, get something that slows you down, and makes taking shots harder. This tends to make the thinking stronger. MF film, or even 4x5 is good.

Hope this helps!

VINCET

Many thanks to everyone. The discussion has really helped me to think things through, and I'm sticking with my Leicas.
I think you will not regret the decision to keep your Leica. I have been bouncing back and forth between different systems. I went from Leica and Nikon system, to having a Nikon D800 and D800e, then to just D800e and mixture of Nikon and Zeiss lenses. But kept missing the experience of shooting at Leica RF so the gradual creep started happening where I ended up with a Fuji X-E1, then eventually phasing out the Nikon in exchange for a Sony A7/r. Finally to the full transition of having a Leica m 240 again.

Just like you, I take pictures of mostly my family and the trips we take. Occassionally, I will take pictures of events in my place of employment. I can say that what I really need is 2 different system, a Nikon DSLR and a Leica M. The DSLR is perfect for capturing sporting event that my kids are in. I tried using the M, EVF and 180 Elmarit but the system is too slow. The EVF takes a while to recover. Same issue when I was using the Sony A7. I love using the M for indoor, close proximity shots, intimate shots and everything else that does not require long Tele and fast action.

J

JohnW

Just want to offer that this has been a particularly impressive thread, for it's genuine support and even-tempered and constructive dialogue. We all know how gear preference threads can go, particularly those involving a red dot. So great to see the respect and support shown here.

John

4season

Awhile back, I thought I'd try a funny little experiment with my photo equipment: I thought, what if I dispensed with decades worth of assumptions and habits and just tried to look my photo gear in terms of the photos it was delivering?

To make a long story short: I wasn't blown away by the first-generation Sony NEX kit lenses (16/2.8, 18-55) and the NEX5 was more lifestyle-oriented than "pro", but a good photo taken with so-so lenses is still a good photo in my book, and I was definitely able to get some pleasing results out of that humble outfit. I also learned how to work around shortcomings: The 18-55 looks pretty bad when used at it's widest setting or as a macro lens, but okay at middling to longer focal lengths, particularly when stopped down some. And with practice, I got to where I could get the results I was after without really thinking about the gear too much.

By the time the NEX7 + 24/1.8 Zeiss arrived, I was having a tough time justifying keeping the M9, and if that hadn't been enough to convince me to sell it, the A7+35/2.8 surely would've been. I wouldn't call the A7 the most charismatic piece of hardware that I've ever laid eyes on (actually I think it's sort of ugly, or should I say it's beauty lies elsewhere), but the results it delivers-wow. And this is the base model? :ROTFL:

But I'm not suggesting that anyone rush out and buy an A7: Actually I'm thinking that superb hardware has become something of a commodity, but the creative process itself is still as pursuit-worthy as ever. Who cares if your camera also makes phone calls and plays Flappy Bird if the photos are good?

turtle

Want a clear view? Well, from the images in your flickriver, I would say the following:

A DSLR will suit you easily as well as the M. You shoot with lots of shallow DOF so a large sensor will help you achieve this.

I'd ditch the D810. From the subject matter you are shooting, you don't need 36mp and it will only bring more hassle.

If the D750 is any good, this could be a lighter alternative to the D810, with fewer wasted pixels and amazing high ISO... assuming you must shoot Nikon as your only alternative to the M.

If you want 'small' and can stray from Nikon, get a Sony A7 with 35, 55 and the forthcoming 85 f1.8 and you are done.

PS. I shoot Sony A7/R, Canon DSLR and Leica M (film and MM). None is a perfect replacement for the other, sadly. There is nothing like Leica M, but I have relegated mine to a niche. For what you are shooting, however, I'd rather tote a Sony A7....

4season

I lied, I do have a specific hardware recommendation:

DIGITAL HARINEZUMI 3.0

Comparing plastic toy "Digital Harinezumi" versus Leica M:

Harinezumi: Name means "Hedgehog"
Leica: Doesn't.

Leica: M8 had IR issues causing black fabrics to look magenta.
Harinezumi: Who can tell?

Leica: An occasional lens will exhibit back-focusing issues out of the box.
Harinezumi: Who can tell?

Leica: Many popular lenses are renown for their bokeh.
Harinezumi: Foreground, background, middle ground, all bokeh all the time.

Leica: Price of M body includes strap.
Harinezumi: Doesn't.

Peter Klein

Just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Insightful and civil. GetDPI is a good place to be.

--Peter

ray*j*gun

Because I do not think there is a real alternative to Leica OVF bodies, I hold on to my M8u and love it in spite of the smaller sensor. Its just a joy to use with my Leica and CV glass (and some FSU lenses as well). However I find I'm using my Nikon D610 and D7000 more and more. I still shoot mostly film but when I choose digi I usually grab a Nikon these days. I don't mind the bulk and the Nikkors (mostly legacy lenses) work beautifully.

segedi

...and a second camera … which in my case would be a Leica S kit to cover my interests in working with portrait lighting both indoors and outdoors.
Curious if you have tried off-camera flash with your Monochrom?

I have a RadioPopper JrX system and use Canon speedlights and it works OK. I can dial in adjustments from the transmitter when combined with the RP Cube receiver add-ons. But have to use a cord from the hotshoe to the transmitter as the transmitter's antenna makes it impossible to mount on the flat top of the Leicas. I did get their Nano transmitter to mount directly to the hotshoe, but you lose some control over changing the flash intensity, but it works pretty well.

xdayv

Amin, you need to keep one of each kind, you have different forums to administrate, moderate and interact. ATB! :lecture: