The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Leica X (Typ 113)

Godfrey

About the smartphone UI of the T or rather the touchscreen itself. How long will one of those last? I've lately been noticing growing amounts of problems with my iPhone 5's screen. I'm pretty convinced it's due to iOS 8, but anyway.. it's now 2 years old and doesn't always respond at all.

Expanding that to the T. I'd be pissed off in a big way if in 2 years time the screen would start lacking in response, wether due to software update or something else.
Don't confuse "problems with the touchscreen hardware" with issues stemming from an operating system change. My iPhone 4S is older than your 5. I too have noticed a slow-down in responsiveness with iOS 8, but I'm sure that's simply a little teething pain on the iOS 8 introduction. There's nothing wrong with the hardware at all. My iPod touch gen 2 and gen 4 gizmos, both MUCH older, are still working perfectly.

Even the non-touchscreen LCD on my cameras gets smudged with nose grease and finger grease from time to time. That's why I keep a little bottle of iClear screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth in my camera bag... It's rarely enough smudging to get in the way of using the device (even the iPhone) unless I've just eaten some fried chicken and checked email a minute later.

I have full confidence that the Leica T touchscreen is going to be around a long time with no problems. (The one on the Panasonic G2 I sold in 2011 is still working perfectly. And I love the touchscreen UI on my Olympus E-M1...)

I just like the control layout on the X a bit more than the T for my intended use, and for the "simplicity" aesthetic that would drive me to be interested enough to spend the money. If I were looking for another system camera, the T would be one of the first on my list to think about carefully.

Paratom

I'm swinging on either the new X or the new T, have had a very fleeting look at a T, with zoom, but not seen the X.
I would retain the old X1 however, so am wondering if the new X is a logical idea, it replicates the X1, but in a newer package, surely? T however (with zoom, especially) is a slightly different direction.
Any thoughts?
Gary
I own the x2,x-Vario and T, saw the new X at Photokina.
My take:
The x2 is considerably smaller than all others so its a keeper for me.
The new X is a very nice size to handle, but not really something which goes into a pocket. If I didn't have an M and wanted something close I might get the new X.
Owning a M the x2 seems the better addition for my purpose due to its small size.
The T adds the flexibility of switching between zoom, fast prime in low light and even tele and wide zoom in the future. Its not really bigger than the new X, but the user interface of the T might not be for everyone.

Paratom

As I said above, I have more than enough (too many) system cameras with full suites of lenses and such. I'm enjoying the rediscovery of my X2 ... simplicity in use, one lens, no options, easy. Camera, case, strap, viewfinder, memory card, and spare battery ... all you need.

If I go for a new X, it will be on the strength of the improved lens, the somewhat larger and more robust body, and the better EVF. One of the things I don't really like about the X2 is the collapsible lens and the only so-so manual focusing. With the X's fixed-length lens, on-barrel focusing control, and high resolution EVF, both of those issues will be gone.

But it's still a lot of money for not so much difference in the camera. On the other hand, a Leica M body with a fast 35mm lens fitted is a setup I can use day after day and never complain about. The Leica X looks so much to be just that in a modern, digital form.

I'm not quite committed yet, but it's looking that way.

G
Hi G,
Personally I like the collapsed lens of the X2 because it keeps it small.
Even though I own the VF2 I don't use it any more on the X2. If I want a finder camera I take the M (or T), if I want a small camera I take the x2 without VF.
So the better Viewfinder is not that important for me.
The speed of the lens 1.7 is nice, but from reading it seems its only at infinity.
Many small improvements but nothing major IMO.
On the other side ... people have been asking for a faster lens, faster display, EVF,.... i the end the new X looses a bit the idea of the x1/x2: a lockable camera with a large sensor. I don't blame Leica for it.

Godfrey

Hi G,
Personally I like the collapsed lens of the X2 because it keeps it small.
Even though I own the VF2 I don't use it any more on the X2. If I want a finder camera I take the M (or T), if I want a small camera I take the x2 without VF.
So the better Viewfinder is not that important for me.
The speed of the lens 1.7 is nice, but from reading it seems its only at infinity.
Many small improvements but nothing major IMO.
On the other side ... people have been asking for a faster lens, faster display, EVF,.... i the end the new X looses a bit the idea of the x1/x2: a lockable camera with a large sensor. I don't blame Leica for it.
I presume you meant to write "pocketable" camera ...

I guess that depends on how big your pockets are. :)

Seriously, where I live is pretty warm most of the year so for something to be pocketable here it means it has to fit in a trousers pocket ... the X2 can't do that comfortably. It does fit in larger jacket pockets but is quite a bit of a lump there. I normally keep it on a neckstrap and/or put it in a bag.

I do always have a viewfinder on it ... either optical or the EVF (mostly an optical because, as good as the EVF is, it doesn't really help focusing all that much due to the resolution and the X2 implementation of focusing assist). I'd do the same with the X.

I've thought along a similar line of reasoning. Why do I want a larger, version of the X2 when I have the M9 already? What comes to mind:

- The X/X2 sensor is much more sensitive than the M9, by two to three stops give or take.
- My only 35mm lens for the M9 is the Color-Skopar 35/2.5, which is nice and small, and a fine performer in its own right... But it gives up a lot compared to the Summilux or Summicron 35s (not just in speed). Both of which are both larger and much more expensive.
- The X, even though larger than the X2, is still quite a bit smaller than the M9, and smaller/lighter yet then the M-P (type 240).
- The X also does video (not in the M9 at all).

To get a the more sensitive, more capable M and 35mm f/2 lens would cost me net about $6000 or so, selling off the M9 and C-S 35mm lens and repurposing the money. And I'd still have a larger, heavier camera that I mostly want to use with a 35mm lens. The X would cost me a little under $3000, and I don't lose the M9 or the Color-Skopar 35 ...

No clear cut answer yet. But I am liking the X concept a lot. I'll keep shooting with the X2 for a while ... :)

G

Paratom

I presume you meant to write "pocketable" camera ...

I guess that depends on how big your pockets are. :)

Seriously, where I live is pretty warm most of the year so for something to be pocketable here it means it has to fit in a trousers pocket ... the X2 can't do that comfortably. It does fit in larger jacket pockets but is quite a bit of a lump there. I normally keep it on a neckstrap and/or put it in a bag.

I do always have a viewfinder on it ... either optical or the EVF (mostly an optical because, as good as the EVF is, it doesn't really help focusing all that much due to the resolution and the X2 implementation of focusing assist). I'd do the same with the X.

I've thought along a similar line of reasoning. Why do I want a larger, version of the X2 when I have the M9 already? What comes to mind:

- The X/X2 sensor is much more sensitive than the M9, by two to three stops give or take.
- My only 35mm lens for the M9 is the Color-Skopar 35/2.5, which is nice and small, and a fine performer in its own right... But it gives up a lot compared to the Summilux or Summicron 35s (not just in speed). Both of which are both larger and much more expensive.
- The X, even though larger than the X2, is still quite a bit smaller than the M9, and smaller/lighter yet then the M-P (type 240).
- The X also does video (not in the M9 at all).

To get a the more sensitive, more capable M and 35mm f/2 lens would cost me net about $6000 or so, selling off the M9 and C-S 35mm lens and repurposing the money. And I'd still have a larger, heavier camera that I mostly want to use with a 35mm lens. The X would cost me a little under $3000, and I don't lose the M9 or the Color-Skopar 35 ...

No clear cut answer yet. But I am liking the X concept a lot. I'll keep shooting with the X2 for a while ... :)

G
Yes, all valid points. I guess we are in a different situation, because I use the M type 240 which has better high ISO than the M9 and can shoot video plus I have 35 Summilux FLE and 35 Summicron and even the very compact 35 Summarit.

On the other side many of us (including me) do have gear that overlaps - nothing wrong about that.

Godfrey

I have succumbed, thanks Jono ... sigh.
This site costs me a fortune on a too-regular basis.

I'll write up my evaluation once I have it and use it for a bit.

G

Gbealnz

YeeeHaaaa, it had to happen, LOL.
I am still swinging, so yes please, let us out of the way folk know your thoughts please.
Gary

jonoslack

I have succumbed, thanks Jono ... sigh.
This site costs me a fortune on a too-regular basis.

I'll write up my evaluation once I have it and use it for a bit.

G
Sorry Godfrey . . was it those RAW files I sent?

I hope you got the brown and silver one?
I look forwards to your feelings (and pictures too).

all the best

Godfrey

Sorry Godfrey . . was it those RAW files I sent?

I hope you got the brown and silver one?
I look forwards to your feelings (and pictures too).

all the best
Two things tickled me to go this way:

- how much I like shooting with the X2

There's something about the dynamics of using a camera with one good lens, no distractions about changing lenses, picking focal lengths, etc, that is resonating with me at the moment very strongly. Particularly a camera which is utterly simple to understand and operate, easy to take full advantage of. The small size is a big plus—I'll carry it most of the time, same as I used to carry a film M with a 35mm lens all the time. The availability of AF for those 85% cases where it works well is a plus. Etc.

The X2 is actually a little smaller than I prefer most of the time where an M4-2 is right on the money. The M9 isn't that much bigger, but it always feels much larger and heavier. The X being just a little bit smaller than the M4-2, and a little bit lighter, should work well on the "compact and carry it all the time" scale.
- how little I like using manual focus with the X2

I usually have the X2 set up with optical viewfinder and let it set focus itself, or use zone focus which means stopped down, because the X2's manual focusing whether to LCD or EVF is simply clumsy and imprecise. The control on the back of the camera is slow to respond, the view on screen or EVF is not quite high enough resolution to work at the level I want. Luckily, it's AF system is capable enough most of the time that I don't get annoyed with it, but it would be much more useful if I could rely on reliable manual focusing without having to give up AF entirely (aka the Ricoh GXR, Leica M9, Sony A7 with Leica lenses...).

My journey to the camera shop and look at the X Vario and T's EVF convinced me to hope that the on-lens focusing of the X Vario combined with the brightness and clarity of the T EVF, and a fast lens, would be a critical advantage. I'd be able to use it in difficult light circumstances because I can focus it manually when the AF system gets in my way. (IME, all AF systems give up the ghost at the most annoying times... That's why the first thing I programmed on the E-M1 is a conveniently located button to toggle into MF as soon as AF became hopeless.)
Too much thinking and analysis about this purchase, I think. I feel like I'm rationalizing—but eh? Such it is. In the end it's just another camera, and hopefully one that will work well. I bought from a retailer with a 30 day satisfaction return policy just in case it doesn't work out.

I went for the black finish: the EVF is only available in black and I think it looks an unsightly lump on the beautiful silver/brown body. In black, it just looks "technical," not lumpy. I expect it will be on the camera a bit more of the time than the VF-2 on the X2. The black body also looks nicer with the black Leica or Voigtländer OVF; the latter I already have.

Presuming I keep it, I'll dress it up with an Arte di Mano half-case in dark brown or red. It will be a little different from my other Leicas (all also black finish) which live in black leather half-cases. That's my concession to camera style. ;-)

Now let's see if I can get UPS to deliver it today. It was due in by 10:30 this morning and requires a signature, but they just txted me that bad weather will delay delivery. And the options for pick-up aren't great. PITA!

I do have work to do today...

G

Godfrey

The Leica X package arrived a few moments ago. I took a break to open it and take a quick look at the camera.

Since it uses the same battery as the X2, I was able to pop in a fully charged battery immediately as well as a 16G card. Understanding the controls and menus is very easy: I had the whole camera set up in four minutes, just like I have the X2. Flipping it to manual focus, even without fitting the EVF, I can tell immediately that it is FAR easier to achieve critical focus and the focusing aid works very well. The AF/MF focusing ring control is very nicely arranged, with a very good feel.

While the camera is larger and heavier than the X2, the difference is actually pretty subtle—the X Vario felt noticeably larger because of the zoom lens, I guess. The fit and finish overall are a nice grade higher on the scale, the metal lens cap and lens controls have that "Leica quality" feel as well.

Do I dislike anything at this first brief look? One quick thing I noticed is that the X2's Opt. Viewfinder option (which keeps the LCD off normally when an optical viewfinder is fitted) doesn't seem to be available in the X menu. Not a big deal, but it's nice not to have the LCD lit up all the time when you don't want/need it. I suspect Leica's intent is that most users will use the EVF most of the time for eye-level shooting... ?

Jono, is there a way to configure the camera to turn off the LCD for optical viewfinder use? I'll read the instruction manual this evening. :)

That's it for now. I'll put a strap on it and do some shooting later. Back to work.

G

Godfrey

...even with the aperture limited to f/2.8 to help out. (actually, focus at 1.7, take pictures at 2.8 would be a good strategy working close -- does it do that?) ...
It's a bit complicated. I was interested in this behavior.

During normal viewing in low and changeable light, you can hear the X working the aperture to help keep the viewfinder brightness constant.

- When you half-press the shutter*with AF enabled, the aperture opens and the focusing mechanism locks, then the aperture is stopped down to taking aperture and the focus and exposure settings lock so you can see the DoF.

- When AF is disabled, the lens is normally wide open when focusing, varies a bit while viewing, and the half-press AE lock behaves as above.

The maximum aperture restriction is directly tied to focus distance. It starts at 1.2m (47 inches) where maximum aperture drops to f/1.8, and it drops further to f/2.8 by 0.42m (16 inches), hitting intermediary values in between (f/1.8, f/2, f/2.2, f/2.5, f/2.8). It holds at f/2.8 down to 0.20m (8 inches).

I've had very very little time to work with the X yet due to other commitments, but I did take it with my on my Saturday morning walk yesterday and made a few exposures. I had it set to B&W JPEG+DNG for part of the walk and to Color JPEG+DNG for another part. Loading the photos into LR 5.6, I have to say it looks like the lens performs very nicely. I'll try to post one or two later.

G

Gbealnz

Suspense is killing me Godfrey, was going to ask "what's it like", but figured you'd post when you were god and ready.
Gary

Godfrey

Suspense is killing me Godfrey, was going to ask "what's it like", but figured you'd post when you were god and ready. ...
It's complicated ... ;-)
I'm not off the fence yet either. I can return this camera still. But ... I ordered the half case for it. That's a sign. I could return that too, however.

I took the X when I went out to get Sunday breakfast (my partner is out of town) and do some errands. Some big event thing happening that blocked my way to my usual preferred breakfast joint, did one of my errands, and ended up having a breakfast sandwich at the local Starbux while waiting to get a haircut. I was sitting outside as I ate, reading news and snapping photos of people walking by. Just their lower legs and feet, mostly, against the textured concrete.

Yeah, I live in these odd moments.

I've had the EVF fitted since I received the camera. It's interesting but the manual focusing aid is actually clearer and sharper on the LCD than it is in the EVF, despite the difference in resolution.

One thing I'm a little perplexed about is that the EVF doesn't seem to be able to receive a GPS signal, and it's supposed to. No matter where I go or how long I keep it up, I only get the satellite indicator showing "failed to connect" and all EXIF GPS fields are zeroed out. Can't find anything that says I need to do anything more than fit the EVF and turn on GPS in the menu, if it's off. I sent a note to Leica tech support.

One thing on this camera that's the same as the X2 when I use it without a half-case: I keep pressing the lower-most left hand button (Menu/Set on the X) inadvertently. Even though it's a little bigger than the X2 (mostly in depth due to the non-collapsing lens), it is still just a hair small in my hands and the finish is a touch too smooth without a half-case.

Oh yeah: I fitted a Street Strap, the new, slightly longer version (52 inch instead of 46 inch) that I had in stock to try out. Umm ... It's six inches too long. It lets me wear the camera bandolier style, but it gets in the way. I'll order another 46 inch version.

I also finished reading the entire manual. There's not much to it, but there are details that are useful to know. It's a pretty simple camera. In a moment of my usual obsessiveness, I took the distributed PDF manual that has both German and English versions in it and used a PDF editor to trim it to just the cover art, the photos of the camera, the camera control diagrams, and the English language section. I loaded that on my iPad for instant access in case I need it for anything (doubtful).

Looking through some of the photos I've made with the camera so far (mostly crappy snaps around the condo as I play with controls and become familiar enough with it that I can use it without thinking), I have to say that the lens and image processing signature is right there. The photos have that signature Leica crackle to them. Something between the Standard and Vivid setting JPEGs matches what Lightroom does by default with the DNGs pretty closely. I notice a little bit of image correction in the JPEGs and it's pretty obvious that the Leica X is not yet provided with an optimized camera calibration profile in Lightroom. I may create one (Xrite Passport software and a Color Checker) until Adobe gets around to it.

The manual focusing system is what I'd hoped for: precise, nice feel, very easy to get along with. A subtle thing is that you get the DoF preview together with the AE-Lock when you half-press the shutter release. Nice.

I just fitted my Voigtländer 35mm optical viewfinder and set the AF system on, and to 11-point mode, set at fixed ISO 200. I have a user preference setup for B&W JPEGs + DNG. That's how I use the X2 most of the time, and how I'll likely use this most of the time too. The camera becomes smaller with the optical viewfinder instead of the EVF on it, and I like the clear and empty view.

Back to other stuff. Photos when I have a moment. More photos when I can manage it.

onwards,
G

carlosecpf

I just fitted my Voigtländer 35mm optical viewfinder and set the AF system on, and to 11-point mode, set at fixed ISO 200. I have a user preference setup for B&W JPEGs + DNG. That's how I use the X2 most of the time, and how I'll likely use this most of the time too. The camera becomes smaller with the optical viewfinder instead of the EVF on it, and I like the clear and empty view.
I am very tempted to purchase this camera, however a big turn off is the lack of the "opt. viewfinder mode"that used to be present on my X1. Not only it helped to save battery, but also made the camera easier to use indoors by not having the LCD backlight illuminating my face. How are you dealing if this issue, Godfrey? I would love to hear from you. Also, is there the small green led light that was located close to the hot shoe that used to indicate focus lock? It was really helpful on my X1 when using an OVF and having focus confirmation.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions with us!

Godfrey

I am very tempted to purchase this camera, however a big turn off is the lack of the "opt. viewfinder mode"that used to be present on my X1. Not only it helped to save battery, but also made the camera easier to use indoors by not having the LCD backlight illuminating my face. How are you dealing if this issue, Godfrey? I would love to hear from you. Also, is there the small green led light that was located close to the hot shoe that used to indicate focus lock? It was really helpful on my X1 when using an OVF and having focus confirmation.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions with us!
In practice, it's not much of a bother. Just like with the X1/X2, the LCD blacks out at the moment of exposure so there's no light being cast from your face into the scene. (I used to leave the X2's LCD on most of the time, even when I was using the optical finder, for quick access to focusing on difficult scenes.)

No, the green in-focus indicating light is gone. I think it's pretty clear that Leica intends this camera to be used either sans viewfinder or with the EVF. The fact that I'm now using it with an optical finder just pushes me into the forefront of camera perversity, I guess. I can always hear the AF servos going and when they stop, so I never heeded the green indicator light anyway. Half the time I have the camera zone focused too... ;-)

First picture up from Saturday's walk...
Leica X - "The Picnic Table Between the Trees"

onwards!

G

Godfrey

No, the green in-focus indicating light is gone.
Hmm. Actually, there is a green status light that, according to the manual, should indicate focus/exposure lock (on solid) or inability to establish focus/exposure lock (flashing) in a position were it should be visible when using an OVF. However, on the X I have, it only illuminates AFTER the exposure is made.

There seem to be a couple other anomalies compared to the manual description.

- No GPS data is written to my files with the EVF in place. It never shows that it was able to link to the GPS satellites.

- I've set auto-review to OFF. But it's not actually off, it seems to always flash the last exposure made for a second or so on the LCD.

Now that I see the status light has another anomaly, I wonder if this particular unit has defects. Jono ... anyone else who's bought one ... what do yours do in these circumstances? Time to call Leica USA I guess.

G

jonoslack

Hmm. Actually, there is a green status light that, according to the manual, should indicate focus/exposure lock (on solid) or inability to establish focus/exposure lock (flashing) in a position were it should be visible when using an OVF. However, on the X I have, it only illuminates AFTER the exposure is made.

There seem to be a couple other anomalies compared to the manual description.

- No GPS data is written to my files with the EVF in place. It never shows that it was able to link to the GPS satellites.

- I've set auto-review to OFF. But it's not actually off, it seems to always flash the last exposure made for a second or so on the LCD.

Now that I see the status light has another anomaly, I wonder if this particular unit has defects. Jono ... anyone else who's bought one ... what do yours do in these circumstances? Time to call Leica USA I guess.

G
Hi Godfrey
Interesting - I never used an optical viewfinder, so that this information is new to me - what's more, I have a prototype EVF which never did GPS well.

I'll check this evening and see if mine performs the same way.

If so - I'm sure there'll be a firmware update before too long and I'll get it put on the list.

all the best

Godfrey

Thanks Jono! I just sent you a copy of what I sent to Leica USA Technical Support. Hopefully you can get some traction going with a couple of these things so we see a fix in the near future.

G

DaveS

Hi Godfrey,

I checked mine and you are right the auto review off isn't off. It is one second.

I couldn't find the green focus light other than the square indicator going green when you do focus on something, which I can see when I glance down from the Optical View Finder (sort of). I couldn't find a reference to anything else in the owner manual on this. What page were you referring to?

Lastly, I don't have the EVF (at least yet) so no help on that part.

Good sleuthing though.

Dave

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey,

I checked mine and you are right the auto review off isn't off. It is one second.

I couldn't find the green focus light other than the square indicator going green when you do focus on something, which I can see when I glance down from the Optical View Finder (sort of). I couldn't find a reference to anything else in the owner manual on this. What page were you referring to?

Lastly, I don't have the EVF (at least yet) so no help on that part.

Good sleuthing though.

Dave
Thanks Dave!

The green focus indicator light is shown in the illustration in the manual cover (item #20) and described on page 102 in the German-English version of the manual PDF:

20. Status LED
a. Flashing: Distance setting not possible / writing or reading picture data
b. Continuously lit: Distance and exposure setting completed and saved