The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SF-26 and flash exposure comp on M240?

mdg137

Based on Leica's assertion that the SF-26 is compatible with all the current series, I picked one up today.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but there appears to be no way to set flash exposure comp-- nothing on the flash itself, nor in the menu for the M240--

Have I totally missed it?

DaveS

I have the same thing, but had no time to try and figure it out last week. Since you asked and saw this too, I started to play around a bit today with the M 240.

Here is what I found:

1 - no camera menu function

2 - no on-flash button/feature

3 - no mention in user guide

4 - doesn't do anything in A mode or auto iso mode if you use regular exposure compensation

5 - BUT... put camera in fixed iso (400 for example) put camera at fixed shutter (1/60 for example) pick a F stop (F2.8 for example) and then use the exposure compensation on the Leica M 240. It can't do exposure comp since camera is locked at shutter, F stop, and ISO, so it seems to then give flash exposure compensation. Both plus and minus.

So there you have it, try and let us know if it works for you, or if I am in just some strange lighting situation that this appears to work.

Really weird, but from my experiments just now in a slightly dim interior room it seems to work as flash exposure comp.

regards,
Dave

mdg137

Thanks Dave, I was stumbling on the same procedure-- I think, if that is the only way to swing it, I might as well pick up a mint SF-58, and use a SF-24 or SF-20 in "A" mode when I want a smaller unit.

fotografz

Take a look at the Nissan i40 with Nikon mount as a possible alternative to use on an M.

Way more control, plus bounce and swivel. Great analog comp dial.

I have one for a Sony A7R, and it's just the right size. Plus it takes 4 AAs instead of an odd battery.

Just a thought.

- Marc

BlueJay

I am intrigued to hear that Nissin i40 flash Nikon mount work on Leica M240.
Any particular reason why Nikon mount? How about like Canon mount, would it work also?

aDam007

The SF-26 won't work as you'd like it to on the M240.
The i40 that Marc recommended also won't work on anything but manual mode (I tested it with my M240). Although manual mode is good, and easy to operate with the dial.

I tested all mounts. Even the M4/3 Panasonic/Leica one.