The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

talk about being a sucker for a pretty face...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is proof I have no will power, my latest Leica acquisition...

And I can hear Guy screaming at me already! :ROTFL:

But aint she purdy?

(and yes, that is a FILM camera!)

Ben Tanner

Workshop Member
Jack, It's a beautiful thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feels great in your hands and as smooth as butter! Ben Tanner:thumbs::thumbs:

carstenw

That's a bloody big diamond! Nice MP. I hope to have one some day, but first I must get a film scanner, and maybe a Jobo film developer too, otherwise it makes little sense.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I just got my M6 classic back from Sherry Krautner and loaded it up with some Tmax-100 and the older 35/2 (III I believe, it's from 1970). Had the camera overhauled (she had to make sure I understood how dirty it was) and got the slow speed shutter assembly replaced, plus the lens overhauled. Both work great and are a pleasure to use. The lens is smoooth. I got this done in part because I wanted to play around with the CV 12 on a FF camera, but there's also something pleasing about the tactile feel of an M film body.

Edit: Of course, my M6 is not exactly an MP! :)

Last edited:

Maggie O

Film?

What's that?

Gorgeous Leica, Jack!!! (If the M8 had been paint, I'd have gone with the black.)

fotografz

I miss my M7s and B&W film.

After 30 continuous years of shooting Ms, I still try to wind the M8 out of reflex memory ... LOL.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Lot's for a traditional M shooter to appreciate on this camera: all metal advance lever, the smaller shutter speed dial, although it only adjusts in full speeds per the original, MP framelines are the bomb. Add to that a real, all brass body for the black paint base; brass is much quieter than the regular metal --- this camera snicks, it doesn't snap or click and the advance is almost in-audible. Lastly, while this "new" version does have a built-in meter, it retains the all mechanical shutter.

I got it for B&W, specifically, I like the look of halation you get from T-Max 3200 exposed at 800 (impossible to replicate on digital), and of course T-Max 400 is very nice for every-day B&W.

robsteve

Subscriber
T-Max 400 is very nice for every-day B&W.

Nice camera. I have a black M3 modified to take a motor drive and it has that super smooth shutter release and sound as you describe.

In regards to TMAX 400, I was cleaning my workbench today and found a roll of Tmax 400 with push 1 written on it. It must be at least two years old or more. I might just develop and see what I get.

Terry

LOL! A few days ago I bid on a Bessa R (I have a couple of screw mount lenses) and......

the auction ended a few minutes ago....Not your nice MP but for $152 (my winning bid) worth giving film a try.... :ROTFL::wtf:

View attachment 1141

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jack,
It is beautiful! Maybe we need a film forum section. It seems like a lot of us are still using film.

This is mine:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
It is beautiful! Maybe we need a film forum section. It seems like a lot of us are still using film.
[/IMG]
Hi Cindy:

The fact is we're not as snobbish here as some other sites are --- note the the title of this forum is "Leica M" and not Leica M8 :cool:. And in truth, ANY Leica screw-mount rangefinder is welcome here too, even though they technically aren't M's. We also have the "other cameras" section for everything else, including film. The main reason is much of the discussion about lenses and accessories is applicable to all of the M's and even other M-mount cameras, so it makes a nice unified location to ask or find information.

PS: That's a BEAUTY too!!! Love the Luigi case!

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
the black paint MP is a must have for the Leica afficionado - well done Jack!
Thanks Peter! I've been lusting after one of these ever since they were announced. I held off until I just couldn't take it any more :bugeyes:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOL! A few days ago I bid on a Bessa R (I have a couple of screw mount lenses) and......

the auction ended a few minutes ago....Not your nice MP but for $152 (my winning bid) worth giving film a try.... :ROTFL::wtf:
Terry:

VERY cool snag for trying film!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Terry:

VERY cool snag for trying film!
I agree, the Bessas are nice cameras. I have a Bessa T (finderless, M mount) and Bessaflex TM (42mm screwmount SLR). They're not Leicas, but quite nice to use, reliable, and cheap. :thumbup:

(The Bessaflex reminds me a lot of the Nikon FM2 I once had and loved. It's not something I use a lot, more of an inexpensive fun item.)

Maggie O

I just keep thinking how cool it would be to have digital MP.

I simply can't afford chemical photography.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I just keep thinking how cool it would be to have digital MP.

I simply can't afford chemical photography.
Maggie,
I don't find it too expensive, and the MP is a complement (and emergency backup) to my M8.
Film can range from $2 up depending on how much you buy in bulk and what you buy.
I take my film to the lab and just have it developed...no prints. It is cheaper and fun to do it yourself (black and white), if you have room. Costs $3-5 to have it done at local lab (not a professional lab).
I then scan it with my Coolscan V. This cost about $500 originally. I use vuescan software which cost $80 (free upgrades for life.)
Save your scans as 16 bit tiffs.... and move on to a digital workflow.

Maggie O

Maggie,
I don't find it too expensive, and the MP is a complement (and emergency backup) to my M8.
Film can range from $2 up depending on how much you buy in bulk and what you buy.
I take my film to the lab and just have it developed...no prints. It is cheaper and fun to do it yourself (black and white), if you have room. Costs $3-5 to have it done at local lab (not a professional lab).
I then scan it with my Coolscan V. This cost about $500 originally. I use vuescan software which cost $80 (free upgrades for life.)
Save your scans as 16 bit tiffs.... and move on to a digital workflow.
Sounds pretty darn expensive to me. Once I lost access to a darkroom, film was dead to me. I quit trusting labs to do my film and prints a long time ago.

Digital is great- I can shoot hundreds of photos and it doesn't cost me a cent anymore. And printing- once the capital costs are out of the way, ink and paper are much cheaper than darkroom rent, chemicals, papers, etc... to do chemical prints.