The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

talk about being a sucker for a pretty face...

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I should stop complaining about Leica NJ Turn around time.
Take the attitude that the path chosen is more important than the destination
Ommmmmmmm
-bob

I don't believe Leica NJ had anything to do with this, after all, Shintaro lives in Tokyo....But yes, the result was worth the wait.

robsteve

Subscriber
Of course, my M3 is a bit of a fake. It is a late series one M3 (no frameselector,old speeds, screwed top plate, but without the sloping part under the film wind lever) from 1954.
But there were no black-paint cameras in that series, except for about ten that Leica did on special request as retrofit.
This one has been painted by Shintaro. It took a twenty month round trip to Japan and I only got it returned a few weeks ago.
Jaap:

I can't remember if it was you, but were you the one complaining on the LUF that Shintaro had lost your camera?

He painted a M2 and M3 for me in 2001 and did an excellent job. I think it took about a month including the shipping.

Robert

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Yes - he lost it and found it.The problem turned out to be the total lack of communication. Thanks to Tom Abrahamsson the camera was found :) It is very well done, and in retrospect I am happy with it.

Last edited:

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
thanks Chris --

Truth be told, the iiif will probably get one roll of film through it some day just for posterity, then get resigned to a display case. The MP is a different story however --- I plan to use that puppy enough to wear the paint off it :D
Jack,
I'm just giving you a hard time! :angel:

Great purchases, both of them. With so many cool toys and such little time, I have to budget accordingly.
With 2 canon lenses (at the bottom of my list),
a Nikon lens :eek: (at the top, seriously :wtf:),
and Leica in the middle... all I can think about is May :thumbs:
Of course, then I think :cussing: why is May taking so long to get here!

rayyan

Hey Jack..i too am a sucker for pretty faces..so much so that i am unashamedly and legally a polygamist!!

can't resist them! my current love:

my first love:

paying equal attention is pretty difficult!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I don't believe Leica NJ had anything to do with this, after all, Shintaro lives in Tokyo....But yes, the result was worth the wait.
I didn't mean to imply that Leica NJ had anything to do with it.
More clearly (I hope):
Since you got such good results and had an extremely long wait, am I foolish complaining about Leica NJ repair turn-around times measured in weeks when it could be measured in months?

-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hey Jack..i too am a sucker for pretty faces..so much so that i am unashamedly and legally a polygamist!!

can't resist them!

paying equal attention is pretty difficult!
A Black Paint M7 was my first choice initially, but then I saw the MP and realized if I went M7, it would have to be an a-la-carte version with MP advance, shutter and rewind levers. Now I need to find a Black Paint 50 Summilux :D.

apsheng

All these pretty faces reminded me of my poor gal that hasn't seen daylight in my bottom desk drawal from I don't know when. I'd like to say I just bought it for $50,000 from the Leica museum sale, but it is really a Shintaro job which I gave the old gal as her retirement present about 10 years ago.

Alan

robsteve

Subscriber
Here is my contribution to the black paint camera photos. This is what I call my all Canadian combo :) It is a Canadian made M3 with a Canadian 50mm Summicron and a Canadian made Rapidwinder. It is all Canadian with the exception of the black paint applied by Shintaro.

Last edited:

Maggie O

Here is my contribution to the black paint camera photos. This is what I call my all Canadian combo :) It is a Canadian made M3 with a Canadian 50mm Summicron and a Canadian made Rapidwinder. It is all Canadian with the exception of the black paint applied by Shintaro.

Beauty, eh!!! :thumbs:

robsteve

Subscriber
The new Black paint cameras seem to have chrome hot shoes and shutter shrouds. I think this even happened later on in the original black paint cameras.

apsheng

The new Black paint cameras seem to have chrome hot shoes and shutter shrouds. I think this even happened later on in the original black paint cameras.
I think the later black paint M4s had chrome shutter shrouds. Haven't seen chrome hotshoe other than on the M6. Perhaps the M5?

Alan

M

Mango

Here is proof I have no will power, my latest Leica acquisition...

And I can hear Guy screaming at me already! :ROTFL:

But aint she purdy?

(and yes, that is a FILM camera!)
Jack, You need to wear a classic tux with that cigar, and the new BP MP. Best wishes! Mango

PS. Is anyone using Shintaro these days? I hear he has some communication issues.

PPS. A belated thanks for inviting me to this fine forum.

JWW

All these black paint pictures! Here's my chrome MP with rigid 50mm summicron. Actually took this pic a while ago in case I decide to sell it. I just couldn't bring myself even though 99.9% of the time it's the M8 in use.

When will Leica do a M8 a la carte? Can you imagine a black paint M8, MP style?

Jan

Last edited:
W

workingcamera

I used to think it would be impossible to make a sexier looking camera than the original M6 … until the MP.

We like chrome… though BP is nice too… best buy one of each

doug

When will Leica do a M8 a la carte?
Not until demand drops. Might explain why there's no a la carte SL :rolleyes: so I made my own by replacing the black SS dial, film speed dial and ST lever with parts from the Leicaflex Standard: