The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to Leica need advise

Paratom

Sorry, but when I tried to be friendly with an R-D1 it did absolutely nothing for me at all. Felt crude and clumsy to use, and the image files didn't look as good as what I was getting out of a Pentax *ist DS with essentially the same sensor. I sent it back.

The Leica M8 was predated in release by the Epson R-D1 by only seven months or so, which meant that the Leica M8 product development had likely been ongoing from about the same time, or even before as Leica products are traditionally so long in development. The M8 was instantly a far more sophisticated product at release time. So I think it's completely incorrect to say "Leica would never have made a digital M if Epson hadn't shown it was possible."

I'm certain that Leica was working on a digital, M-mount compatible rangefinder as soon as they thought there was a feasible sensor to be had for it, and to the limit that their development resources and finances could sustain at the time.

G
Before the RD1 had been released Leica said several times it would not be possible to build a digital rangefinder because the lens was too close to the sensor.
And after the release of the M8 and delivery-how long did it take?
For me Epson was the first who was brave enough to deliver a digital rangefinder. I then switched to the M8 because it was the better camera, but I did like the build and feel and analaog instruments of the RD1 including the sutter sound .

Godfrey

Before the RD1 had been released Leica said several times it would not be possible to build a digital rangefinder because the lens was too close to the sensor.
And after the release of the M8 and delivery-how long did it take?
Yes I know. I sold all my M equipment in 2002 because it was unclear at that time whether it was possible to build a digital version of my M6TTL and Leica's finances were on shaky ground at the time, never mind their statement of whether it was even possible. I needed to have a digital future story at the time, and if the lenses weren't going to be useful there was no point in keeping them. I have no regrets, but I sure wish I still had the lenses I sold then as I'd refined my lens kit over the previous decade or two. Most of those lenses are now four to five times as expensive and not easy to find in the same condition.. Ah well.

But the seven months between the release of the Epson R-D1 and the M8 is nowhere near enough time for *any* company to design, prototype, test, build manufacturing production line, and release the M8.

My estimate is that Leica worked on the M8 for four to five years, regardless of what was said. Maybe the R-D1 introduction did influence it—cause the delivery date to be pulled in—and maybe that was the cause for so many of the M8 issues with the first released units.

G

Paratom

Months before the RD1 was released (I still had my M6 besides Nikon 650) I bought a mint Noctilux for 900 Euro ;)