The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best way to clean front element of a lens

GMB

I should know this by now but I don't. I took the S with the zoom out for a walk on the beach. Very windy day. There is a bit of a very light film on the front element of the zoom lens. Basically the salt that was in the air. How would you remove that? Wipe with a lightly humid lens cloth and then let dry? Thanks and happy New Year.

ReeRay

I had such an occurrence previously and used the Zeiss cleaning tissues that my optician provided for my coated lens spectacles. Rocket blower first to ensure no residual grit. Problem solved with no adverse effects.

I use these tissues a lot on my spectacles and have never seen any problems.

Hope this helps

Knorp

Hi Georg, best way to avoid the salt-film in the first place is to use f.i. clear-filters (B+W 007).
I too had my fair share of salted-lenses in the past.
Although I normally go 'naked', I decided to use filters (any filter), when there's a risk of saltwater spray.
As the saying goes: better safe then sorry.

For cleaning I'm using fluid and tissues from Eclipse.

Kind regards.

baudolino

My procedure: Rocket blower followed by micro-fibre cloth with a few drops of Eclipse on the cloth. Then breathe on the glass and wipe clean with a dry part of the cloth. Regards, Martin