The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Super-Fast f/2.0 Lens, 3.8x Zoom Lens, 3" LCD Display, O.I.S. Image Stabilization

themechanic

Super-Fast f/2.0 Lens, 3.8x Zoom Lens, 3" LCD Display, O.I.S. Image Stabilization

My first Leica that is affordable. I was going back and forth between this and the Panasonic LX5 as they are essentially the same camera as I've read. I wanted something for travel and as a backup to my Canon dSLR. This is smaller than I expected which is actually great because I can fit it in my pocket!

As for price, if you think about it, the copy of Adobe Lightroom and the 3 year warranty basically means it costs about the "same" as the LX5 if not getting a better deal IMO. Yeah, I like the red dot too...and the build is really solid for this camera..and a beautiful one at that. The menu is pretty intuitive. The manual isn't all that informative.
Picture quality looks great, I like the different formats..I can take square pics or wide angle..

The special effects aren't as robust as the Olympus Pen, but I use graphic editing programs anyway....gets a little noisy above 1600 but again, I have noise reduction software..but for its size and convenience and the fast 2.0 lens, available light photography is great. I use this mainly as my street photography/photojournalism cam.

I would've given it 5 stars if it had a viewfinder...I really wish these companies producing these compact cameras, 4/3 cameras and the like would have a built in viewfinder..it only makes sense. Also, don't get the Dlux4 battery for this, it won't fit. I have to wait about a month before they release the ones for Dlux5 and exchange the Dlux4 battery.
But I'm happy so far and hopefully I'll be able to update to the M series someday.