The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summarit 35/2.4

V

Vivek

Anyone has it? Would appreciate seeing some samples. I am interested in this lens for use on a MM and my Sony A7r and it is just a few hundred Euros more than the old version (and so much cuter! :) ).

Paratom

Anyone has it? Would appreciate seeing some samples. I am interested in this lens for use on a MM and my Sony A7r and it is just a few hundred Euros more than the old version (and so much cuter! :) ).
I have a Summarit 35/2.5 but I assume you like to hear and see about the new Version? ... I dont expect too much difference though.

segedi

Optically, I'd think the performance would be hard to discern between the two. I had the older version and foolishly sold it.

The price of the new version is offset by the fact it includes a hood now instead of the exorbitantly priced accessory hood for the old version. And it uses what my other lenses use, 46mm filters.

If your keen, I think it's bound to be a winner, though not available yet in North America to my knowledge.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Segedi. :)

I suspect the new design is different optically as well.

Buying a new Leica lens (though a lowly placed one like the Summarit M) is not like buying a lens from any other maker.

So, I guess I will have to wait until I can get one. No, there will be no chance for an A/B comparison of the old vs new.

Godfrey

Optically, I'd think the performance would be hard to discern between the two. I had the older version and foolishly sold it.

The price of the new version is offset by the fact it includes a hood now instead of the exorbitantly priced accessory hood for the old version. And it uses what my other lenses use, 46mm filters.

If your keen, I think it's bound to be a winner, though not available yet in North America to my knowledge.
The new Summarit 50 and 75 lenses are available in the US now, but the 35 is still to come.

G

Seascape

The new one has an ASPH element and should have improved performance.

I did some shooting with the previous version and found it very sharp over most of the image but somewhat soft in the corners regardless of aperture.

I'm assuming the ASPH design will change that.

V

Vivek

Correct and I appreciate your earlier point on the supplied hood (what a beauty!). :)

V

Vivek

Tom, I prefer to hood all my lenses. Even the 40/1.7 Color Yashinon that is adapted to my A7r has a hood (it was bit of a search and cost me a bit relative to the lens but I have to have it).

I like the 75/2 AA for the built in hood and covet the 50/2 AA for its built in hood. So elegant and so useful. :)