The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there really going to be a new Monochrom coming out in Feb?

V

Vivek

I've got one on order so that Vivek can buy some Leica product again at a later date.
Thank you! How did you manage to order one that is not even announced? It took me 2 waiting lists and help from a dealer to get the "unobtainable" MM. The lists got filled up 6-8months later. Leica is full of mysteries. :)

Would get a personally engraved sample for preordering an unannounced camera? :)

V

Vivek

I meant the RF cameras like M8/M9/M9P/MM that are without live view (I do not accept the claims of some that consider every RF camera as having "live view").

If the RF goes out of whack (camera or lens) with the M240 and the like, one can always switch to live view via the LCD or the optional Olympus EVF.

segedi

I really disliked that my Monochrom, now sold, didn't focus the 75mm Summicron very well. Having LV or an EVF might have played a part in me keeping both of them. I'm OK though with having the M240 and converting to B&W. I'm have perfectionist tendencies, but the general public does not.

CharlesK

The M240 RF accuracy is a lot better than the M9/MM. The only issue is re-calibration of the RF requires that the M240 is sent to Solms and from Australia this takes about 6-8 weeks. Recently I have sold both my M240's after both bodies were required to be re calibrated after about 6 months. The M9/MM was great as the RF could be done locally and performed within a few days... none issue for a mechanical device IMO.

I would love the M240 Mono, but the issues that need to be resolved IMO before I reconsider.
(1) Servicing turn around less than 2 weeks. All that needs to be done is to ensure certified Leica repair centers can do the majority of adjustments as with the M9/MM.
(2) Electronics/speed/issues to be resolved comparable to other FF 2015 cameras.
(3) Responsive and high resolution EVF/LV. This is so handy with lenses like the 50 Nocti f/1.0 and 75 Lux.

I love the RF way, but it is nice to have in parallel an excellent LV/EVF when needed.

aDam007

I really disliked that my Monochrom, now sold, didn't focus the 75mm Summicron very well. Having LV or an EVF might have played a part in me keeping both of them. I'm OK though with having the M240 and converting to B&W. I'm have perfectionist tendencies, but the general public does not.
Yeah the 75APO is a bit of a tough lens to use if your RF is failing you.
Beautiful when you nail focus though!

turtle

IMHO one of the biggest improvements that is required of the new Monochrom is metering. Everything else is very nice, but with no colour channel recovery, there is no margin for error with a monochrome sensor and, sadly, the metering on the MM is woefully inadequate. It is fine when shooting landscapes, but when you have no time for checking histograms etc, we need metering that will make sure no highlights are clipped when auto exposing, or perhaps even with a threshold, such as 1%, 2% clipping permitted etc, to allow for specular highlights.

Paratom

The M240 RF accuracy is a lot better than the M9/MM. The only issue is re-calibration of the RF requires that the M240 is sent to Solms and from Australia this takes about 6-8 weeks. Recently I have sold both my M240's after both bodies were required to be re calibrated after about 6 months. The M9/MM was great as the RF could be done locally and performed within a few days... none issue for a mechanical device IMO.

I would love the M240 Mono, but the issues that need to be resolved IMO before I reconsider.
(1) Servicing turn around less than 2 weeks. All that needs to be done is to ensure certified Leica repair centers can do the majority of adjustments as with the M9/MM.
(2) Electronics/speed/issues to be resolved comparable to other FF 2015 cameras.
(3) Responsive and high resolution EVF/LV. This is so handy with lenses like the 50 Nocti f/1.0 and 75 Lux.

I love the RF way, but it is nice to have in parallel an excellent LV/EVF when needed.
Just yesterday I looked through both the VF2 with the X-VArio and the Visoflex for the T when I realized how much bigegr and better the new Visoflex EVF is.
It would be great if - in case a new MM appears- it would work with this new viewfinder. However if its based on the M type 240 I doubt it. ;(

Rolo

IMHO one of the biggest improvements that is required of the new Monochrom is metering. Everything else is very nice, but with no colour channel recovery, there is no margin for error with a monochrome sensor and, sadly, the metering on the MM is woefully inadequate. It is fine when shooting landscapes, but when you have no time for checking histograms etc, we need metering that will make sure no highlights are clipped when auto exposing, or perhaps even with a threshold, such as 1%, 2% clipping permitted etc, to allow for specular highlights.
I felt the same until I sold off my Asph lenses and replaced them with lower contrast non-Asph glass. The issue went away immediately. Rarely clips the highlights now and the shadows don't need to be sacrificed. Asph is better with film imo.

algrove

Thank you! How did you manage to order one that is not even announced? It took me 2 waiting lists and help from a dealer to get the "unobtainable" MM. The lists got filled up 6-8months later. Leica is full of mysteries. :)

Would get a personally engraved sample for preordering an unannounced camera? :)
You just have to get those NL dealers using their imagination. So far I have convinced 2 US dealers to put me on their waiting list. On one list I am the first and on the other I am on the first page.

Just what everyone needs is 2 M240 Monochrom! I just threw my current MM away today.

V

Vivek

You just have to get those NL dealers using their imagination. So far I have convinced 2 US dealers to put me on their waiting list. On one list I am the first and on the other I am on the first page.

Just what everyone needs is 2 M240 Monochrom! I just threw my current MM away today.
Nah, looks like I am too late. I will ask them make a list for the 28/0.95 Noct and put my name. ;)