The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would an electronic rangefinder-lens coupling be relevant?

Shashin

If you wanted a rangefinder, I am sure you could make an optical rangefinder coupled with the a digital encoding in the lens. Basically have a motor move the rangefinder mirror based on the lens position. You could also probably have user calibration as well with this method. However you look at it, coupled optical rangefinders are an expensive proposition.

If you don't need manual focus, Contax and Konica made electronic (film) versions of the rangefinder.

Personally, I find the strength of the rangefinder is no blackout during exposure. I also like seeing what is outside the framelines. There are two downsides with the rangefinder, parallax and frame line accuracy. Still, those are relatively small problems that the photographer can compensate. The rangefinder is a unique tool--there is no substitute. It is certainly not for everyone, but photography would be a little diminished if they were lost, and we have lost a lot of them (Contax, Konica, Minolta, Bronica, etc).