The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sent my M240 to DAG Camera

Godfrey

Personally, I would accept Don's word as to what he can and cannot do, regardless what the Leica folks have to say about it. DAG has done work for me that Leica or Minox would never attempt, successfully. That's one reason why good third party repair techs continue to survive and be successful.

G

aDam007

silver92b - DAG is reputable, if he says he can get the M240 back to baseline, and then adjust any problematic lenses back to baseline as well, then might as well give it a try. Just because Germany uses a machine for "perfect" alignment, doesn't mean someone cannot do it by hand. I was just shocked to hear because of what Leica told me.

Also I forgot about this occasion in the early M240 days:

My experience seems to back up Leica's claim. I was in Japan, and had with me only my Noctilux. It was to spec, but my M240 had developed a problem (read on to know why I know it's my M240). They (Leica Germany) said that IF I wanted to, Ginza Leica could fix my problem, but ultimately I would have to send the camera and lens to Germany. It took Leica Ginza a while, while I paged through magazines, and when the item was "adjusted" I asked the guy what had been done, and he said that he adjusted the lens to work with the body (this could have been a language barrier issue). However, when I got back home, the Noctilux no longer worked with my other M240 cameras (this is an extreme case because the Noctilux is 0.95). It along with my M240 had to be sent to Germany. Leica also mentioned they'd do this for me, with the understanding that it was a quick fix as not to ruin my vacation.

Usually I would have brought more lenses and bodies with me, but in this case I just wanted to bring my Noctilux and M240 as I was planning on buying a Sony (don't remember if it was the RX1 or A7 at that time) camera for quick snaps and I had heard that Japan sold them cheaper (I found out while I was their that the "cheaper priced" Sony cameras I wanted were Japanese menu only cameras).

jaapv

Subscriber Member
And that was exactly what I’m saying. There is a vast difference between adjusting cameras in a production process and doing so on an individual basis.
A sensor adjustment - that must done by Leica, as it takes a laser measuring device, but the rangefinder itself is virtually DIY.

Last edited:

aDam007

Again, not trying to discredit DAG in any way.

I had a 75APO with a warped focusing helicoid and it was misdiagnosed by Leica several times before I gave up and had a reputable tech check it out. He told me the problem, ordered parts, fixed it, and no issues since. In fact, I'm actually quite curious where he got the parts from and for the longest time I was skeptical that he actually did what he said. But either way, the price to fix the lens was reasonable enough that I don't question it. And the lens is FIXED and problem free. (I have two 75APO lenses, a almost new one and that one. The older one, I think is better before of the tech.)

250swb

Again, not trying to discredit DAG in any way.

I had a 75APO with a warped focusing helicoid.....
You mean that big chunk of brass warped? I keep on banging on about this but notchy focusing is nearly always caused by the flange. Over the years, or even from new, it rotates a fraction due to the torque involved in taking the lens on and off the body. It can self cure, then come back again, or remain permanently off centre so you send it for repair. Simply loosening the screws and doing them up again re-centre's the flange and the lens is fixed. How tech's dress that up to make it sound like they sweated blood is down to the tech. It shouldn't be confused with stiff focusing overall, which is usually down to dried up grease.

Steve

aDam007

You mean that big chunk of brass warped? I keep on banging on about this but notchy focusing is nearly always caused by the flange. Over the years, or even from new, it rotates a fraction due to the torque involved in taking the lens on and off the body. It can self cure, then come back again, or remain permanently off centre so you send it for repair. Simply loosening the screws and doing them up again re-centre's the flange and the lens is fixed. How tech's dress that up to make it sound like they sweated blood is down to the tech. It shouldn't be confused with stiff focusing overall, which is usually down to dried up grease.

Steve
Hi Steve, I actually think the tube was slightly warped. As Leica had it several times without fixing it. If it was a matter of just adjusting the flange, I think they would have done it by the third or 4th time they had it.

Something was replaced in the lens that Leica had missed.. OR something was done, but either way it works great now.