The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Bag, New Office, New Church (and WATE)

jonoslack

Hi There
New Office
After 23 years of working from home, I'm now commuting 25 miles to our new offices. And after 23 years working on my own, I'm in an office with 3 other people . . . apparently I suck my teeth and hum :( (children WILL tell you these things, even when they're 25).

New Bag
I was about to sell my WATE, because I wasn't using it, not because it wasn't good. After some thought I realised that the real problem was that I couldn't fit it in my small Billingham Hadley with the frankenfinder attached. After some research, I found the Fogg B-Laika, which will take an m8 with WATE and frankenfinder, and another M8 with small lens. . . . Hooray!

New Church
Well, I don't go to church, and I don't think that this one will change anything, but it's very pretty. It's in a field 200 metres from our new office. I haven't looked inside yet, as I still have to figure out where no 3 old lane is! This afternoon, just before sundown, I went out with the new bag and took a few shots, suddenly the WATE seems like a really wonderful lens.

all shots with an old (not updated) M8, together with the WATE, a milich adaptor. Shot in raw and processed in Aperture, with a little help from Viveza and Silver Efex Pro.

Overcooked? Oh Yes!

robsteve

Subscriber
They look great Jono. In regards to the WATE, anytime I think of selling mine I look at some of the pictures taken with it. I don't think there is any wide angle for the M that works so well.

Robert

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Congratulations on a bunch of new directions Jono. Nice to see an example of a workplace that's increasing its numbers of employees rather than the opposite.

Wonderful tree! I love to see majestic old trees like that square in the middle of a working field. Nicely done.

markwon

Excellent shots! Love the last one. Silver Effects gets more appealing each time I see the result of someone's work with it.

C

Cancelledreality

They are all great, Jono. That WATE looks tempting :)

jonoslack

They look great Jono. In regards to the WATE, anytime I think of selling mine I look at some of the pictures taken with it. I don't think there is any wide angle for the M that works so well.

Robert
Hi Robert
My problem with the WATe has always been the hassle of using it, putting the rangefinder on and off etc.
The new bag has really changed that, as I can leave one body in the bag with the WATE and finder, and fit the other with a 35 or 50 'cron (with space for another lens). Suddenly it's there and easy to use.

jonoslack

Congratulations on a bunch of new directions Jono. Nice to see an example of a workplace that's increasing its numbers of employees rather than the opposite.
Let's hope we haven't gone completely mad!

Wonderful tree! I love to see majestic old trees like that square in the middle of a working field. Nicely done.
Isn't it a lovely Oak. There are lots of trees around here in fields - mostly fields that are near boggy bits and used for grazing, but it's still good. In fact, there are an increasing number of trees around here these days.

jonoslack

Hi Mark
Excellent shots! Love the last one. Silver Effects gets more appealing each time I see the result of someone's work with it.
Thank you
In this case I was using Silver efex in conjunction with Viveza (Viveza first with the colour u-point to darken the blue skies, and then the red filter in Silver efex to finish the job. I've been doing the same thing in photoshop for years, but not without a pretty disastrous increase in noise . . . which doesn't seem to happen here.

jonoslack

They are all great, Jono. That WATE looks tempting :)
Hi Hans
The WATE is great! It does take a while to get used to using it, especially with the finder. I tend to pick a focal length, and then use it like that most of the time (be it 16,18 or 21) rather than flipping about.

Lloyd

Hi There
New Office
After 23 years of working from home, I'm now commuting 25 miles to our new offices. And after 23 years working on my own, I'm in an office with 3 other people . . . apparently I suck my teeth and hum :( (children WILL tell you these things, even when they're 25).

New Bag
I was about to sell my WATE, because I wasn't using it, not because it wasn't good. After some thought I realised that the real problem was that I couldn't fit it in my small Billingham Hadley with the frankenfinder attached. After some research, I found the Fogg B-Laika, which will take an m8 with WATE and frankenfinder, and another M8 with small lens. . . . Hooray!

New Church
Well, I don't go to church, and I don't think that this one will change anything, but it's very pretty. It's in a field 200 metres from our new office. I haven't looked inside yet, as I still have to figure out where no 3 old lane is! This afternoon, just before sundown, I went out with the new bag and took a few shots, suddenly the WATE seems like a really wonderful lens.

all shots with an old (not updated) M8, together with the WATE, a milich adaptor. Shot in raw and processed in Aperture, with a little help from Viveza and Silver Efex Pro.

Overcooked? Oh Yes!
Congrats on all that's new... and those shots... especially that last one... Wow. Very nice. Keep that lens (or sell it to me ;).

ecliffordsmith

Jono,

Congratulations on the new office. Looks like you have some nice subjects in the vicinity.

I like the processing of all the images here but the first sky is really very good.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono,

These are beautiful images. In regards to the WATE, could you comment on the image/lens quality comparing it with the Olympus 7-14/4 ZD? Thanks,

Kind regards,

jonoslack

Congrats on all that's new... and those shots... especially that last one... Wow. Very nice. Keep that lens (or sell it to me ;).
Hi Lloyd
thank you VERY much - sorry though, the lens is not for sale, especially now I have the new bag!

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, Nice. Like them all. I would like to see the interior of the Church when you get a chance to visit it.

jonoslack

Jono,

Congratulations on the new office. Looks like you have some nice subjects in the vicinity.

I like the processing of all the images here but the first sky is really very good.
HI Ed
It's an interesting area - a bit flat, but big estates and lots of fields with big oak trees. I've done my city stint, and this is as rural as it could be.

As for the processing, I'll gladly take the credit, but we have such wonderful tools these days.

jonoslack

Jono,

These are beautiful images. In regards to the WATE, could you comment on the image/lens quality comparing it with the Olympus 7-14/4 ZD? Thanks,

Kind regards,
Hi There
Thank you - How to compare! First think is the actual range:
Zuiko = equivalent to 14-28
Leica = equivalent to 21-28
Obviously the leica is much smaller (and much more expensive). I haven't done any direct comparisons, but my gut instinct is that the Leica is a little better at the corners and edges, but in the mid range at least the Zuiko has better controlled distortion . . . but it's only a feeling.

cam

i'm still trying to get over the fact that the man of my dreams sucks his teeth and hums....

W

wbrandsma

He might be sucking his teeth and hums Cam, but he sure made some beautiful photographs. Like I said at dpreview, I really love the second and last photograph Jono!

And congrats on your office. That must have been an exiting event.