The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts on this?

Oren Grad

They're using a 20mp CMOS sensor.

So I suspect it may be the same as the sensor used in the Canon 6D which I can attest is REALLY REALLY good.
Image Sensor

At the heart of the Konost Camera is a 20.0mp 35mm Full Frame CMOS image sensor from CMOSIS. The CMV20000 is a high resolution, high dynamic range, and high speed sensor allowing us to achieve spectacular detailed images. With 16 LVDS channels capable of running at 480 Mbps, the CMV20000 can also record videos at 30fps at full resolution, giving the Konost Camera extended capabilities besides still photography (hint*). CMOSIS has also been excellent in providing documentation, reference designs, and customer support for our application.

Prototype | Konost

Chris C

Design wise - I think it is beautiful, everything I want Leicas to be but aren't.

Lots and lots of questions arise of course.......... but a very promising start [and gorgeous website design].

.............. Chris

Tim

We've all seen issues with M-Mount lenses on FF sensors with the Sony A7 range. It will be curious to see how well it handles the wides, super wides and other lenses. Nonetheless it will still be of great interest. Price point will be interesting as will be RAW format.

Seems there are a few versions they are working on - Specifications | Konost

I hope for the best with it, it could gain a cult following.

Shashin

The viewfinder window looks too low where the lens will block the view., but it looks like an interesting idea. I wonder if they will copy Leica prices as well?

Godfrey

I'll be tracking the progress of Konost. I hope they make it to production, and that the product is worthy of the Leica lenses that can be fitted to it.

Not that I think M9 or M typ 240 series cameras are all that complicated, but the simplicity of the Konost is appealing.

Time will tell!

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The viewfinder window looks too low where the lens will block the view., but it looks like an interesting idea. I wonder if they will copy Leica prices as well?
They say in the video that it's cheaper to manufacture, so it would be hard to defend Leica pricing. I agree on the viewfinder. Looks a bit odd too, doesn't it. Apart from that, it' an interesting attempt, and I love the simplicity :)

Tim

On their new page here - Happy Tuesday! | Konost
They mention this.

3.) Lots of questions about price. Our target is to be very competitive in the market. This camera aims to be accessible to the people.

So it would seem it could be affordable. This camera with say a 28/50 or 35/90 or other pair would be a great travel kit.

The other interesting thing is that this page http://konost.com/?page_id=6714
shows a SDK version so its being opened up for others to write software for it perhaps?

24mm

We've all seen issues with M-Mount lenses on FF sensors with the Sony A7 range. It will be curious to see how well it handles the wides, super wides and other lenses. Nonetheless it will still be of great interest. Price point will be interesting as will be RAW format.
Simply put, M lenses were never designed for the A7 bodies and A7 bodies weren't meant for M lenses. In this instance I would say the A7 bodies weren't up to the task, still they are cheap bodies to play around with.

V

Vivek

Instead of OVF and RF coupling they should just go with an EVF. A swivel LCD would be big bonus!