The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

aDam007

that watch is hedious! sorry if you bought one. but... it looks so bling bling :)
No I didn't buy one, way to big for my wrist. It looks good on Sylvester Stallone though... If any of you happen to know who he is :p
But if you were to read about the idea behind the use of that material on the watch. It's a pretty interesting concept. You use it, and it patinas over time. So what you end up with is a watch with a cool green patina.

Anyway, I do have several of the more classic Panerai watches. They're great and have a long and interesting history. All the markers of a great Indiana Jones film, but it's a watch company!

aDam007

Absolutely serious. I'd never heard of him before.
I've never been accused of having my thumb on the pulse of popular culture...

I know who Felix Cavaliere is, however. But only because he happens to be my cousin. :)

G
And you don't own a radio???

Kidding of course. I'm sure you've heard his songs, probably just don't remember them. He was much bigger in the nineties and early 2k. I guess he's been busy taking photos and making a Leica book lately.

IMO this is the goofiest luxury edition of them all: collectors can put it in a case and never use it, so that it'll forever be a Minty distressed camera.

Kirk

aDam007

To be honest, I really LOVE the M60 but wish they had released it with the 50APO. I'd have bought it in a snap had they done that. I would have also liked to see it in black finish.

chrism

It's hard enough to hold one's head up in some photographic circles, where one is automatically considered a poseur and a fanboy simply for using a Leica. This does not help one bit. Even I'm embarrassed by it.

Chris

Knorp

Since most of my Leica gear was stolen last year, I would happily take delivery of this "Correspondent" set ...:eek:

:cry:

24mm

It would be cheaper to buy a brand new M-P body and selectively rub off parts of it with Brasso. :D

robertwright

Advertising is always about the lie, addressing the point at which the product fails. The thing never makes you more attractive, desirable, thinner, etc...

Leica doesn't get that digital cameras are not like analog cameras, they will not last decades, they are obsolete consumer electronics from the day they are made. So they will never accumulate the kind of wear these cameras look like they have sustained- the sensor/battery will have long failed by then, or digital imaging will have moved on. 5-7 years is the lifetime of these products.

My M6 however will outlive me and making the assumption that film will still be around it will still be useful if one chooses that. Being the category that invented the idea, even if it does not it has nothing to prove.

It is like the forthcoming Apple Watch. The idea of selling a premium product in the digital sphere is nonsensical. Getting 3 years out of a iPhone is about it, to say that a the watch will remain useful considering battery failure, OS upgrades, the evolution of the internet, etc. means nothing we make now has any survivability. It is just not the DNA of the age we live in, to make long lasting products.

We are paying for simulacra.

turtle

I would not personally buy one if it was the same price as standard, but that's just me. Whatever makes people happy and makes Leica a profitable business works for me....

250swb

Or are we all just a bit shallow in our feelings for this camera?

Two thousand years ago until the present day Buddhism has the answer in the concept of wabi-sabi, 'nothing is perfect, nothing is finished, nothing lasts'.

Once accepted it's a concept that may stop burst blood vessels.

Steve

Paratom

Since most of my Leica gear was stolen last year, I would happily take delivery of this "Correspondent" set ...:eek:

:cry:
Why? Because the correspondent with it used look is more safe to not been stolen?

IMO it does look cool but the fact that it is artifical I would allways feel like owning a fake camera.
If this was as camera which my father and myself have used and it would look like this from real use, I would be very proud to own and use it.

On the other side, people by jeans in used look, bags and all kinds of stuff, why not a camera.

pingu666

Advertising is always about the lie, addressing the point at which the product fails. The thing never makes you more attractive, desirable, thinner, etc...

Leica doesn't get that digital cameras are not like analog cameras, they will not last decades, they are obsolete consumer electronics from the day they are made. So they will never accumulate the kind of wear these cameras look like they have sustained- the sensor/battery will have long failed by then, or digital imaging will have moved on. 5-7 years is the lifetime of these products.

My M6 however will outlive me and making the assumption that film will still be around it will still be useful if one chooses that. Being the category that invented the idea, even if it does not it has nothing to prove.

It is like the forthcoming Apple Watch. The idea of selling a premium product in the digital sphere is nonsensical. Getting 3 years out of a iPhone is about it, to say that a the watch will remain useful considering battery failure, OS upgrades, the evolution of the internet, etc. means nothing we make now has any survivability. It is just not the DNA of the age we live in, to make long lasting products.

i think some of the more unique digital cameras may retain value and use, if they last, which is a big if. i dont see much reason to use a mid range low end dslr of this era in 20 years time, but then again we might hit a wall and stuff will stagnate.

but the user experience of a leica, or the look of some sigma cameras might save them from the landfill.

ruskiantonov

Wonderful response. Having studied Baudrillard in school, I completely agree. It would help this camera a lot if it was a film MP and not digital. Surely making something that expensive and unique as a digital camera is being naive about its longevity. It'd be like buying some super exclusive Tesla, hoping it'll last 'forever'.

However, I have to disagree with most on the topic of Leica making high end luxury goods. They are merely responding to the luxury goods market, which is growing at a staggering rate, and it very well might be what they need to do to survive. These "Kravitz" cameras will be sold, to multimillionaires or billionaires as Christmas or Birthday gifts. The extremely wealthy just don't care about the price tag, but if this keeps Leica in business and thriving, then so be it. It is more a reflection on the state of the world than the company itself.

I worked for Taschen books, and if it were not for the ridiculous 5/10/15 K books they sell to the .1% of the world's wealthiest, the company might not exist any more. I for one am very happy that it does, because it is an absolutely brilliant and unique publishing house. Same goes for Leica.

aDam007

It's hard enough to hold one's head up in some photographic circles, where one is automatically considered a poseur and a fanboy simply for using a Leica. This does not help one bit. Even I'm embarrassed by it.

Chris
Seriously.. It takes a lot more skill to shoot with an M240 then it does to shoot with Canon or Nikon. Try shooting a wedding sometime with a 5D3/D4 then another with a M240. You'll see what I mean. And you won't care what those circles say about you anymore.