The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo: sidewalk seating

Godfrey

Just beginning to get some photos with the M-P ... And I really, really like it.

Leica M-P + Nokton 50mm f/1.5 ASPH (LTM)
ISO 640 @ f/4 @ 1/1000

The raw and JPEG files that the M-P produces, when set to its defaults, are very different from what came out of the M9. The M-P files show more dynamic range, more resolution, less moire problems, and a flatter, more even/accurate color rendering. The Auto White Balance is shockingly better than the M9. The feel of the shutter, the speed with which it writes files, the new controls ... everything about the M-P feels an upgrade and an improvement over the M9.

I have found NOTHING to complain about or wish that I'd kept the M9. For me, the out of camera JPEGs with the M9 were useless, I turned them off, and every exposure needed to be white-balanced properly and adjusted to produce what I had in mind. I find that the amount of adjustment needed for the M-P is far less, and I have much more adjustment range to work with as well.

I'm sure others will differ with my opinion. That's fine with me. There are many excellent cameras on the market that are different in what they produce. If you like what the M9 does more than the M typ 240, enjoy it.

G

JohnBrew

I've never had a Leica M I didn't like, film or digital. So in support of Godfrey's post I offer the following:
I had an M9-P and while I had no quibble with the files (I do quite a lot of bw conversions) my M8.2 was better. I tried a Monochrom and then a bit later an M240 and was saddened, that after all the comparison work I did and the wonderful threads and images posted by others here from the Monochrom, I preferred my bw conversions from the M240! And I really, really wanted a Monochrom, but I purchased an M-P. Head won out over heart.

silver92b

Glad you like it. The photo is very good! I don't know how you got the 'warm" tones, but it really looks great. I enjoy my M typ 240 a lot and find that it is really a superior camera (with the appropriate lens of course) to the other cameras I have and have had. I will say that I did not own the M8 or M9, so I cannot compare it with them. I wish I had the M-P for it's simplicity and lack of "ornaments", but I just cannot see how I can spend all the extra $$ I would have to in order to get one. However, we'll see what the future brings ;)

Godfrey

Thanks to you both! :)

I am really enjoying this camera. It does the right things, in the right way ... and it gets out of my way so I can see beyond it.

G

MCTuomey

Glad you're happy with your new M, Godfrey. It is one of life's pleasures to enjoy the use of one's tools.

I do think the picture quality reflects more your skills in composition and post-processing than the camera choice.

herrbarnack

I had an M240 for a year, then a chance to upgrade to the M-P presented itself. There have been some M240 and M-P owners who find nits to pick and complain about, which leaves me at a loss to understand the reasons for their discontent.

Apparently there are guys in this world who would complain if Sofía Vergara showed up on their doorstep naked with a truckload of gold doubloons for them.