The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with M/46mm lens hood

JimBuchanan

Hello, Leica experts. Whats the answer, here?

I have the Elmarit M 28mm pre-asph with 46mm filter threads. Because I use it on a crop cameras (1.3X/1.5X/2X), I have fitted it with, as I remember, a smaller 35M 'lux hood. This solution isn't perfect as the hood cap comes off easily and I've already lost it once. The plastic hood also is not as robust as my 50 Summicron solution, shown here:

This is what I'm trying to recreate on my Elmarit M 28mm. The hood is fitted with the guts of a standard filter and the cap is generic.

Is there a metal lens hood like this for the 46mm size of the Elmarit 28? All I can find is a 43mm version.

Thanks, for any comments.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Two other choices you may want to consider. HeavyStar ...a ebay store....has had 46mm wide metal shades for under $10. They look reasonable and work well. A slightly nicer hood is the Contax G hood number 1 .. It comes in black or a titanium color and typically sells for $35 used on ebay. I use the contax hoods on my 28 ..hood 1 and on the 35 lux ...hood 2. I use the HeavyStar 55 wide on the 24mm. it doesn t work as well on the 21asph so here I stuck with the Leica hood.

Another trick I learned from Guy ....with the filters forget the lens caps. I carry a Leica microcloth and just clean the filter whenever I go over the camera .

JimBuchanan

Thanks, for the ideas. I'll probably try the Contax G hood, but really wanted a hood solution that took advantage of that hood retaining ring built into the lens. I don't think it exists, as this lens, the M35Lux, and M28 Summicron are the only 46mm lenses with this arrangement, and they all are plastic rectangle with special caps.