The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M240 and lenses back from DAG

silver92b

I had sent my M240 and 3 lenses to DAG for adjustment. I got the camera back yesterday :D. It did not make me a better photographer, but it seems to be working perfectly! Couple of shots last night with the Lux 50 f1.4 ASPH. A rose on the kitchen counter prompted me to shoot.

V

Vivek

Is that with the EVF? The off center focus area seems to indicate that.

silver92b

Is that with the EVF? The off center focus area seems to indicate that.
Very observant of you! Indeed I used the EVF. Mainly because I moved the vase & flower to the floor to take advantage of the black door of the dishwasher for background. I just could not lay down on the floor and comfortably use the RF.

However, since the shots are cropped, the center of the original images is not in the center of the cropped images.......

aDam007

Calibration of a lens/RF would have no effect on EVF. Before or after calibration.

If you want to make sure your lenses are spot on, and haven't already. It's best to set your camera on a tripod, turn on LV then focus your RF on something and take a look at how well you did through the magnified EVF.
Repeat this several times at the same distance, and several times at several different distances and with all your lenses. If you're getting 90% then your RF and lenses are calibrated well. That remaining 10% is probably going to be user error even though you have a tripod.

silver92b

Calibration of a lens/RF would have no effect on EVF. Before or after calibration.

If you want to make sure your lenses are spot on, and haven't already. It's best to set your camera on a tripod, turn on LV then focus your RF on something and take a look at how well you did through the magnified EVF.
Repeat this several times at the same distance, and several times at several different distances and with all your lenses. If you're getting 90% then your RF and lenses are calibrated well. That remaining 10% is probably going to be user error even though you have a tripod.
Thanks for the tip. I had thought about doing something like this but have not gotten around to it yet. I'm going to do it in a few minutes and report back. Meanwhile, I am sporting this new leather strap I bought. It is really nice and the length is perfect.

UPDATE Just checked the 3 lenses (Zeiss 35f2.8, Lux M 50f1.4 ASPH, and the Tele Elmar 135 f4, and they are all dead nuts in focus. When the RF is lined up, the EVF focus aid lights up. I tried them a few times each at 4', 5', 9', 14' and 25'. So far so good. I'm very happy with the work from DAG Camera :thumbup:

Last edited:

aDam007

Glad to hear it!

Nice strap BTW, I really like the brown. I had a red one from Luigi that matched the red dot when I had the silver M240 (since sold it, now I only have black M240 bodies, but do miss the silver a bit).

silver92b

Glad to hear it!

Nice strap BTW, I really like the brown. I had a red one from Luigi that matched the red dot when I had the silver M240 (since sold it, now I only have black M240 bodies, but do miss the silver a bit).
Thanks, I like the silver body but I did not choose it for the color, it was just the luck of the draw. I saw it for sale by a member in Rangefinder forums and bought it :D . But I'm glad it's the silver.
Black is nice too and understated, which I like. But the silver does have cosmetic appeal and I think the silver lenses look very nice on it as well as the black.

aDam007

My problem was that I didn't have silver lenses. Tons of black ones though. So I figured, to heck with it, and got rid of the silver body.

Godfrey

I just did a test like this, looking for focus shift with my Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2. I wrote it up in another thread ...
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/631340-post3.html

But the long and the short of it is that I agree: RF and EVF/LCD rarely match perfectly, but with practice they's so close even down to 1:1 magnification that differences are hard to see, presuming that lens and camera are both well calibrated. And most of the differences are user variation with either... !

Oh yes: and focus accuracy with the EVF/LCD out-performs the RF as focal length grows. Shooting with the 135mm lens today, even with a 1.25x magnifier on the eyepiece, it was immediately apparent that I could get MUCH more precise focusing with TTL viewing, and my 135mm lens is only f/4.5 maximum aperture.

G

Last edited:

silver92b

Oh yes: and focus accuracy with the EVF/LCD out-performs the RF as focal length grows. Shooting with the 135mm lens today, even with a 1.25x magnifier on the eyepiece, it was immediately apparent that I could get MUCH more precise focusing with TTL viewing, and my 135mm lens is only f/4.5 maximum aperture.

G
Absolutely, the smallness of the image at a farther distances makes it very hard to see the image in the RF. I tried shooting tonight at a dance with the 135mm and I just could not see the subjects well enough to focus with the RF. I wish I'd take the EVF with me....